Together RPG - Skies of Arcadia - 8/4 -> 10/4

Level up here
MrPopo

Re: Together RPG - Skies of Arcadia - 8/4 -> 10/4

Post by MrPopo »

Ziggy587 wrote:It's been so long since I've played it that I don't really remember much. I do remember sailing into some sort of air current or whatever, and that was right around the disc change.

I hadn't noticed an encounter rate problem when I was playing it. I just hope that the idea wasn't put into my head, and now when I play it again I'll think there's too many encounters.

It's not too bad in dungeons, but it feels horrible while flying. I'm guessing the encounter check not only ticks when you move the analog stick but when you change altitude, so it's easier to trigger encounters. The air current you're thinking off is the Black Rift, which is some weird hole in a hurricane and is essentially a dungeon you fly through.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

MrPopo wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:It's been so long since I've played it that I don't really remember much. I do remember sailing into some sort of air current or whatever, and that was right around the disc change.

I hadn't noticed an encounter rate problem when I was playing it. I just hope that the idea wasn't put into my head, and now when I play it again I'll think there's too many encounters.

It's not too bad in dungeons, but it feels horrible while flying. I'm guessing the encounter check not only ticks when you move the analog stick but when you change altitude, so it's easier to trigger encounters. The air current you're thinking off is the Black Rift, which is some weird hole in a hurricane and is essentially a dungeon you fly through.

The encounter rate spikes dramatically in the wind current on the way to Ixa Taka, and is significantly lower on Gamecube. I wonder if the animations are faster on gamecube too, because whilst I definitely remember somethings taking a while (movements for example, and some of the spells) I don't remember Lambda Burst being too bad as I spammed it like crazy on my most recent playthrough.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Lambda Burst isn't too terrible, it's just slightly slower than I'd like for a move I use every single battle.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I remember being able to skip special attack and magic animations with the start button, I believe. Am I remembering that incorrectly?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I'll give that a try tonight; if it works you'll have made my day.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

pierrot wrote:I remember being able to skip special attack and magic animations with the start button, I believe. Am I remembering that incorrectly?

That is correct.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

pierrot wrote:I remember being able to skip special attack and magic animations with the start button, I believe. Am I remembering that incorrectly?

I almost wrote the same comment but I was unsure of myself.....

Yeah I think you are correct. Only one I ever watched was Alpha Storm.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

OK, I just finished up the game I was playing. I think I'm gonna start up Skies soon.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I am minutes away from being able to dodge random battles on the overworld! I'm in the home stretch now; just two crystals to go.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:

I almost wrote the same comment but I was unsure of myself.....

Yeah I think you are correct. Only one I ever watched was Alpha Storm.

yep you can skip them by pressing start, I also found out the hard way that if you press all the buttons at the same time it restarts the game :( there goes a couple hours of grinding down the drain.