Let's have a western animation thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Retrodude
128-bit

Re: Let's have a western animation thread

Post by Retrodude »

Indeed. When WB made Batman TAS in the 90's, they said they were inspired by those and tried to imagine what it would be like if Fleischer had done Batman. I always thought that was kinda cool.
I'm not a glitch, I just have pixlexia.

Raiiban wrote:That's a moral dilemma. Capitalism has no morals.
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

Retrodude wrote:Indeed. When WB made Batman TAS in the 90's, they said they were inspired by those and tried to imagine what it would be like if Fleischer had done Batman. I always thought that was kinda cool.

Now that you mention it, yeah, I can definitely see the inspiration. Can't believe I never saw it before.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Young Justice stepped it up today. It was an action packed, epic episode and it was awesome to hear Keith David. One of the draws of Justice League Unlimited was those epic, large scale battles that required all League members to join the fight. It's nice when we get to see that on Young Justice too. For some reason I busted out laughing after hearing this line in the episode:

"WOMAN! When are you NOT on a mission!"

I'm sure someone out there will make some complaint about the stereotypical, angry black guy, but damn he was funny in this episode.

Green Lantern was great too. Much lighter than the last two emotional roller coaster episodes and full of great comedy. As good as it was though, it was just filler. I hate having to wait a whole two weeks to see some follow up on the events that happened in the "Cold Fury" episode. As filler episodes go though, it was quite good.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Retrodude
128-bit

Post by Retrodude »

You know what's really stupid? Both Young Justice and Green Lantern have been cancelled. Once the current run of episodes finishes, that's it. Why? Because the audience giving these shows such great ratings isn't the audience that the marketers want. This does not bode well for "Beware The Batman" because it implies that, whatever their plans for it might have been, the network will force them to dumb it down because they think "kids cartoons" can't possibly have any crossover appeal with teens and adults. Damn it CN! I was actually starting to defend you and tell people that your stupid years were behind you and then you do this! @#$%!

Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Retrodude wrote:You know what's really stupid? Both Young Justice and Green Lantern have been cancelled. Once the current run of episodes finishes, that's it. Why? Because the audience giving these shows such great ratings isn't the audience that the marketers want. This does not bode well for "Beware The Batman" because it implies that, whatever their plans for it might have been, the network will force them to dumb it down because they think "kids cartoons" can't possibly have any crossover appeal with teens and adults. Damn it CN! I was actually starting to defend you and tell people that your stupid years were behind you and then you do this! @#$%!

One of the things that makes me sad is that I could see Green Lantern spawning a host of spin offs the way Batman the Animated Series did, and that's not gonna happen now. It would have been neat to see the people behind Green Lantern eventually do their own take on a CGI Batman show. I'm not too sure if this Beware the Batman will actually be good, as what I've read about it sounds kind of ridiculous. Batman has a samurai sidekick? Alfred is James Bond? Ugh, it sounds bad. They had a perfectly good Batman, Batgirl, Tim Drake, and Nightwing on Young Justice. That show gave me my Batman fix. In time, I bet we would have even gotten a badass Red Hood, since Jason Todd's death was referenced on the show.

Oh well, the news came at a strange time for me, as the last few episodes of Green Lantern have gotten me more invested in it than ever before, and then to hear that it was being cancelled. That sucks. Oh well, I'll be happy to at least get to see how the Aya/Razor story resolves itself before the show is gone, assuming it does get resolved. I don't know what animated programs there will be for me to watch now. Seems like all the good stuff gets cancelled. Maybe it'll be a good time to get caught up on Avatar and then start watching The Legend of Korra
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
indecks
Next-Gen

Post by indecks »

Finally got caught up on YJ and GLA.

GOD it sucks they're being canceled. Those are some heavy hitting shows man. COME ON FOX!! I mean... CARTOON NETWORK!
Retrodude
128-bit

Post by Retrodude »

Apparently, a teen/adult audience for a cartoon doesn't count unless it's something like Family Guy or South Park. Seriously, I wish WB would move their shows to The Hub. They, at least, aren't put off by older fans. They might be the only cartoon channel that's not.

AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Retrodude wrote:Apparently, a teen/adult audience for a cartoon doesn't count unless it's something like Family Guy or South Park. Seriously, I wish WB would move their shows to The Hub. They, at least, aren't put off by older fans. They might be the only cartoon channel that's not.

CN didn't used to be so put off by older fans. Hell, the only reason Adult Swim exists was because CN realized they actually had an older demographic they could cater to.
Retrodude
128-bit

Post by Retrodude »

That's true, but at this point, I'm convinced the only reason they still do original series for that block is because they wouldn't want to deal with all the complaints and bad press they would get if they suddenly decided to end it and show nothing but repeats. And even if I'm wrong on that, note that just about all the AS series over the years have fallen into that Family Guy/South Park area of "adult comedy".

Enjoyable as some of those shows are (I'm a big fan of Robot Chicken in particular), it frustrates me no end that an intelligent, well-written, character driven show like Young Justice can't survive because the ones primarily watching the thing aren't the type to buy tie-in toys. It's the same thing with the new Thundercats show. While it hasn't officially been cancelled yet (it's "on hiatus"), it's in serious danger because the toys aren't selling. Gods forbid you have a cartoon without a toy to go with it. WB Animation has been doing some amazing work these last few years, but if the executives don't stop with their idiocy, I'm seriously concerned the ones making the stuff might throw in the towel.

BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

AppleQueso wrote:
Retrodude wrote:Apparently, a teen/adult audience for a cartoon doesn't count unless it's something like Family Guy or South Park. Seriously, I wish WB would move their shows to The Hub. They, at least, aren't put off by older fans. They might be the only cartoon channel that's not.

CN didn't used to be so put off by older fans. Hell, the only reason Adult Swim exists was because CN realized they actually had an older demographic they could cater to.

I'm still convinced that CN is deliberately trying to appeal to teens and young adults with Regular Show. There's just too much in there that kids aren't going to catch.

Not that I'm saying it's not trying to appeal to kids too. My younger siblings love it, although they prefer Adventure Time.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.