Games Beaten 2014

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2014

Post by Stark »

dsheinem wrote:Infamous: Festival of Blood is just the right amount of Infamous, even if it is somehow even more ridiculous than the main games.

I saw you playing this the other day and I was like, what? Just clearing out your PS3 games?

How long is Festival? I should get to playing it someday, I love the inFamous games.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

1. Kirby's Epic Yarn Wii
2. To The Moon Christmas Special PC
3. Super Mario 3D World Wii U
4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Wii U
5. Chiki Chiki Boys Mega Drive
6. World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck Mega Drive
7. Metal Gear PSVita
8. Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake PSVita
9. Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy 3DS
10. Akai Katana 360 *NEW*
11. Metal Gear Solid GBC *NEW*

Another 2 pretty short games for the list.

Akai Katana
Yeah, not gonna lie, I credit fed through this one for sure. Some of you may say that doesn't count, but I don't really care.

Akai Katana is a game it took me a while to get my head around. There's a lot of stuff to remember about how to power up, when to power up, and how to score big. However, I feel like the scoring system is well implemented as part of the gameplay in this one, so it was something I felt more prepared to give ago, as opposed to something like Ikaruga where it forces you to play very differently.

I played through with all 3 ships, and although none of them played exactly as I liked, I found the boring type A worked best for me. It seemed to power up quicker (whether it actually needs less or it's just because it's easier to aim with it's narrow shot to get power ups I don't know) and it's powered up form was easy to use. My best run was with this ship, where I got to the boss of level 2 (not that impressive I know D: ). The second ship was too unwieldy for me - I liked being able to aim everywhere, but I didn't like how the option couldnt be locked in place like the other 2. The third ship I would have liked best in another game - I liked the spread fire it has & I liked the option maintaining a distance. However, I found it to be chronically hard to power up - again, I'm not sure if this was the spread gun killing stuff too far away, or if it is actually harder to power this one up.

The game's difficulty certainly seems higher than other Cave shmups I've played (DoDonPachi Resurrection, Deathsmiles, ProGear), especially at the start. In later levels though I didn't notice much different - they're all silly hard by the end anyway.

I definitely enjoyed this one. The atmosphere was good, the game looked great, and the reflecting bullets mechanics made things feel really over the top and awesome. Good stuff.

Metal Gear Solid
So, my third Metal Gear of the month, and I'm feeling a little Metal Gear'd out now.

This game was good, and it has some mechanics I like and some I don't. Rather than one continuous world, the game is split into missions. At first, this seemed promising as it would cut down on the tedious backtracking of the other games, but in practice, I think I preferred the older games styles. The main issue was that the game wasn't set up in short missions - it'd alternate some really short easy missions between 30 minute plus compounds that played just like the old games, only with some even more tedious design thrown in.

The items aren't anything special - same stuff as in every other Metal Gear game. The bosses aren't amazing either, most of them are competent but unexciting. However, the Metal Gear fight was probably the most epic in the 4 games I've played (MG1, MG2, MGS for PS1, MGS for GBC) even if it was a bit frustrating.

The story was pretty good for an 8 bit game, and it kept me chugging through. Lots of things are rehashed in terms of story though, with some elements having come up in literally all 4 games I've played now. I hope they moved on in terms of story after this point.

Overall, I enjoyed my time with this game. I might have liked it even more had I experienced it seperate from it's predecessors. However, it's probably the weakest of the 4 I've played so far. Pick it up if you spot it, but it's not a must have in my eyes.

Next up:
RPG time! Atelier Totori, FFVII and Mario & Luigi are on my radar, but I imagine I'll finish something shorter before I get to the end of any of those. 999 is in the post, so I might jump into that when it arrives.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

alienjesus wrote:Akai Katana
Yeah, not gonna lie, I credit fed through this one for sure. Some of you may say that doesn't count, but I don't really care.

It counts. I'll be doing the same thing with the same game later this year. Along with Dodonpachi Resurrection and Mushihime-sama Futari. Somehow I can finish DeathSmiles on like 3 credits but I suck at every other Cave game.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:

It counts. I'll be doing the same thing with the same game later this year. Along with Dodonpachi Resurrection and Mushihime-sama Futari. Somehow I can finish DeathSmiles on like 3 credits but I suck at every other Cave game.

For quarter-munchers I count it only if I feel a 1cc is just not attainable for me - and even then I try to set myself a limit in all but the most extreme cases before I would count it by endlessly popping credits. Did you try beating it on $1 or some such, or did you just feed it mindlessly? Do you feel like you could ever hypothetically beat it for a reasonable amount of credits? If so, I'd suggest trying that route for "counting it" and see what you think...
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

01/02/14 A Wolf Among Us E1 - PS3
01/24/14 Injustice Gods Among Us (Campaign) - PS3
02/25/14 Donkey Kong Country Returns - Wii

A Wolf Among Us
Not much to say here, if you like Telltale games you should like this one. I do have to admit that the coloring of this is phenomenal and sets the tone. My wife, and I, both agree that the cursing is a little too much.

Injustice
All game aspects aside - this game's story is better than most stuff DC has published in a while (excluding the spin-off book). If you like comic books you need to play this one, even if you hate Mortal Kombat style fighters - set it on easy, button mash and enjoy the story.

DKCR
I preordered Tropical Freeze and decided last Sunday (Feb 16) that I should play through the Wii one first. So in just over a week I beat the game. I did not unlock every bonus level or find every item, I just wanted to play the game from start to finish. The challenge was awesome, but the ease to gain more lives prevented it from being as hard as the platformers of the 8 and 16 bit days.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: Atari 2600 & 5200, NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis,
Sega CD, Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU, XBONE & Switch.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:@Valkyrie-Favor
Senran Kagura looks..... ummmmm...... interesting. I didn't know it was ever localized. Digital-only I'm guessing?

Digital only in America. Europe got a physical release I think.

-----------------------------

Games beaten 2014:

Bust A Move: Universe (3DS)
Recommended: No.
An American-made Bust A Move, somehow. It turned out pretty well - I like the simplified rules since they allowed a greater focus on puzzle design. Or should have. I beat all the maps in an hour or so, and any challenge is in getting high scores. Lame soundtrack, low difficulty, very short compared to other Bust A Move games.

Hotline Miami (PSV)
Recommended: Yes
Everything about this game was fun. I enjoyed every mission. Controls were interesting on PSV, I wonder how lock-on worked for the PS3 version.

Text: A Summer Story (PC)
Freeware visual novel for PC. You can see everything in about half an hour - a promising ghost story devolves into nonsense. I must praise the cell phone mechanic - your decisions influence whether or not your phone gets charged, and the characters' actions change based on what the protagonist knows.

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy)
Lots of inventive ideas in this game and mind-blowing for the Game Boy hardware. Looks and sounds great on my Game Boy Pocket. The main draw is the surreal levels, which range from "outer space" to "giant lego castle." I beat it in one sitting without dying, so it's easy to recommend to those short on time.

Shinobi (3DS)
prfsnl_gmr wrote:It's like Shinobi III, Ninja Gaiden II, and Shadow of the Ninja stumbled into a darkened room during a crazy party at The Legend of Kage's house, and nine months later one of them gave birth to the best 2D ninja game in a decade.

I beat it on Hard mode and plan to play Very Hard soon. This game is a whole lot of fun and one of the top 3 games on 3DS, next to Fire Emblem and Kokuga. It's about an hour long if you don't die. You might get tired of playing the first 9 levels only to get killed by Orn, but it should only take a few tries. It was a fun challenge, but anyone should be able to win if they focus.

Senran Kagura: Skirting Shadows (3DS)
Recommended: Righteous Boobage
When I beat the game, I got these messages:
"You have unlocked a new outfit for the Hanzo Acadamy dressing room!
You have unlocked microphone mode for the Hanzo Academy dressing room! Try blowing in the Nintendo 3DS Microphone while trying on outfits!
You have unlocked Adjustable Camera mode for Costume Destruction scenes! Move the circle pad while your character's costume is being damaged to see...what?"

Skirting Shadows is a lame game with some awesome features. The cel shading and animation are great - and I'm not just talking about the breasts. The 3D work is the best I've ever seen. The music is alright, and I really liked the insert songs. The voice acting was fun, the characters were cute, each of the girls' unique play styles was fun to master.

I can't pick a favorite - just that Asuka is the least awesome. Ikaruga the kendoka, Katsune the fist fighter, and Yagyu (who fights with an umbrella that shoots fireballs) were all pretty fun at first.

Problem is the difficulty - there is none. Knock your enemies into the air, juggle them, crash into the ground, and repeat. I died only once - and that was when the last boss did his unexpected tail attack. The really sad thing is, if only the enemies were smarter. it could have been an awesome game.

You're either fighting one strong enemy or dozens of smaller ones. These attack infrequently but when they do, they're powerful. That doesn't matter though; there's health-restoring milk and free EXP hidden in crates. You get full health and ninja magic when you level up. It seems Marvelous wanted nothing to get between the player and his 3D breasts. The target audience - besides otaku - is 13 year old boys.

If only the crowds would take the initiative and try to surround you and pin you down, it could have been the most thought-provoking beat-em-up of all time. Group tactics vs. one powerful ninja. As it is, you can use the same move on them 50 times in a row.

Those visual novel sections were annoying too. The plot made no sense and it was really dumb thematically. Nothing to be said for them. They put a little more effort into the title. How clever.

It was pretty and novel. Can't say I regret the few hours I put into it, but I'm a bit worried about the $30. Should have bought a better game, or a creepy anime doll. Or kept it in the bank.

I'll recommend it as entertainment, but not as a video game.

Dangan Ronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (PSV)

For a while it's the best VN released officially in English. Very stylish, some very fun murder mysteries (plus some duds). Very strong main characters and some cool side characters too. About 50% of the game's strength comes from Kyoko Kirigiri, who anime fans will be talking about 20 years from now. Mark my words. But the ending DAMN IT WHAT THE HELL.

Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Assassin's Creed IV WiiU
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon PC
Splinter Cell: Blacklist WiiU
The Wolf Among Us: Episode 1 PC
The Wolf Among Us: Episode 2 PC
Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut WiiU
Jazzpunk PC
Pikmin 3 WiiU
Call of Duty: Ghosts WiiU
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze WiiU

I would actually go as far as to rate this as my favorite 2D style platformer on the system so far, even beating out the excellent Rayman Legends. Everything about this game was expertly crafted, from DK's fur to the level design to the way levels live to the beat of the music. The levels are filled with neat visual tricks and plenty of background animation and really feel alive. The animations are filled with wonderful subtleties. It felt like I was playing a Pixar film. The controls are tight and devoid of waggle, and the difficulty certainly gave my controller a huge workout. I never found it frustrating until the final boss, which had me completely annoyed. Yet, nothing in the game felt cheap, it my own fault and lack of skill when I lost. The use of visual cues to help you avoid pitfalls and other such traps certainly help with that. The way special abilities are worked into the game is very nice, and I imagine in co-op the game would be a lot of fun with an equally skilled player. I want to go and buy Returns now so I can enjoy more DK. However, there's plenty of gameplay here. If you like collectathons you'll enjoy this game. KONG letters, puzzle pieces, time trophies, and seven relics await me. :lol: That's on top of the 9 hours it took me to just play through the game naturally.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Games Beaten 2014:

1. GTA V(360)
2. Brothers(PSN)
3. Infamous(PS3)*
4. Infamous 2(PS3)
5. Remember Me(PS3 PS+ Freebie)

*=replay

Things I really liked about the game Music, Memory Remix Segments, and the atmosphere. Things that were hit and miss for me were story and platforming, and the worst part of the game by far was the fighting mechanics.

Music:
Music was great for the most part I felt it really fit the atmosphere and pumped some much needed energy into the fight scenes at times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4CdLgfMxQ0

Gameplay:
Brawling got insanely boring even though they had a "build your own combo" system. However all you can change is the effects of each part of the combo and by the end there are only 4 different chains with preset button combinations :P. Plus there are only two buttons one for kicking one for punching :P. Turned every fight into a mind numbing drag of combo, dodge, combo, dodge, and finish with special if that doesn't work repeat until everything on screen is dead. Specials were interesting at first but got boring near the end.

Platforming was also a problem I suffered a lot of cheap deaths because of awkward camera angles and stiff controls. There were alot of slow platforming segments during the game as well which kind of left me bored. At first I really liked the quite moments as I walked from one square fighting area to the next. However the scenery kind of went to crap after the first quarter of the game and I really started to hate the bland underground and indoor areas. Some chase scenes would have made things alot more interesting and there is one really good chase sequence, but as far as I can remember there were only two one of which lasted under a minute :P.

The best game play mechanic by far had to be the memory remix segments. There are only around 6-7 during the course of the game but each one is awesome. I found myself manipulating a scene 4-5 times just to see how I could get it to play out. Seemed like there was only one correct route each time though with the majority of the glitch combinations either doing nothing or causing the person being manipulated to die in the memory. As awesome as they are each scene kind of left me feeling shitty because you do some down right horrible things to people.

Story:
The story had a number of twists which were unexpected and the memory remix sequences were amazing. However the characters just aren't that likable. I even started to dislike Niln after a while since she manipulates everyone around here and does some all around shitty things during the course of the game. The way they tied everything together at the end was pretty interesting and really left me questioning my characters actions. Overall it wasn't that great of a story but they did make some interesting choices.

Overall I would probably give it an average score and wouldn't recommend it to highly. If you happen to see it in the $5-10 bin it might be worth picking up, but there are much better games out there.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

dsheinem wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:

For quarter-munchers I count it only if I feel a 1cc is just not attainable for me - and even then I try to set myself a limit in all but the most extreme cases before I would count it by endlessly popping credits. Did you try beating it on $1 or some such, or did you just feed it mindlessly? Do you feel like you could ever hypothetically beat it for a reasonable amount of credits? If so, I'd suggest trying that route for "counting it" and see what you think...

I don't think I could clear the last 2 bosses without burning through about 5-10 credits on them alone. The rest of the game I could feasibly have a shot at for under a fiver ( 5 credits - credits in arcade games in the UK generally cost much more than a quarter :wink:)

So no, I don't think I could 1CC this at all. I'd have a better chance at the likes of Ikaruga, Deathsmiles or DoDonPachi, and I don't think I could do it on those either.

I'll be continuing to play this on and off throughout the year, so maybe I'll set myself a 4 credit limit or something from now on and see how I do. It's staying on this list though :lol:
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I'll be the guy.

It doesn't count unless you 1cc it :P

But, glad to see you playing Akai Katana! Its my favorite Cave hori. A little heavy on the mechanics, far from intuitive, but a solid game.

Thoroughly understanding the mechanics goes a long way in this game. Its actually not too difficult. The bosses live for far too long though.