PS2 Mod 2016-19: USB & HDD Loading, PS1 via POPS, Emus

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Re: My PS2 Soft Mod Project 2016 Experience: 9-14-16 Big Upd

Post by nightrnr »

Haha! I can now ftp iso's onto my PS2. I get about 3Mb/sec, which is slow, but as others have said, convenient if you just want to add 1 or 2 more images at a time I heard someone somewhere was getting 4Mb/sec or more, but whatever.
Had to re-check my router settings by typing "ipconfig -all" in a dos prompt (which I will do now every time it doesn't hook up right away. I'm still learning networking settings, but what worked for me is if the Gateway address is the same and the IP address is all the same except the last # needs to be set different to the device you are trying to FTP, the PS2 in this case).

Ziggy587 wrote:Is Winhiip better than HDLdumb when transferring games to a HDD connected directly to a PC? I haven't used Winhiip in ages.

Yes, Winhiip is better IMHO. In particular, the program that I'm using has trouble with all my CD images (except MvC2, for some reason). I think that it expects cue files, but with Winhiip, I just renamed the bin files to iso and it figured them out fine. Doing that crashes HDLdumb when I select the file. Yes, I should have kept my cue files (think I still have a couple of them), but I had issues with more than a few of them reading or working right in the 1st place.
Then again, maybe HDLdumb wouldn't have had the trouble with my cues.

Also, I think you can copy games from a PS2 hdd back to your PC, which I don't think HDLdumb can do.

Ziggy587 wrote:What I was gonna say in my last post... If you're just starting out with the HDD then I would suggest gathering up your ISOs on the PC. When you have the bulk of what you want, then connect the PS2 HDD directly to your PC (either internally or USB) and use Winhiip to transfer them. It'll be a lot faster this way. Once you have the majority of the games you want installed on the PS2 drive, and you'll only be transferring games one here and one there, then switch over to HDLdumb and network transfers for convenience. At least, that's how I did it. If I ever get a larger HDD for my PS2, I'll definitely connect it to the PC first so I can dump a few dozen games to it.

I do agree that if you are starting fresh, just have a bunch of games at the ready and copy them directly to the HDD before you even install the thing. That usually gets me about 10Mb/sec via a USB adapter. It would be SOOOO fast hooked up to the PC directly, (but my games are copied to another USB anyways, so... yeah).
...just another lost soul...
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

nightrnr wrote:Yes, Winhiip is better IMHO. In particular, the program that I'm using has trouble with all my CD images (except MvC2, for some reason). I think that it expects cue files, but with Winhiip, I just renamed the bin files to iso and it figured them out fine. Doing that crashes HDLdumb when I select the file. Yes, I should have kept my cue files (think I still have a couple of them), but I had issues with more than a few of them reading or working right in the 1st place.
Then again, maybe HDLdumb wouldn't have had the trouble with my cues.

Also, I think you can copy games from a PS2 hdd back to your PC, which I don't think HDLdumb can do.

Yeah, as far as I know, HDLdumb can only load ISOs. If you have a BIN/CUE image, you'll have to covert it to ISO first, on your own outside of HDLdumb.

FYI, if you have missing or bad CUE files, you can get them on the net. I think there's a few places that will host CUE files (though you have to make sure it's for the correct version and region of your game), but also, they can be shared easily on the forum or email or whatever. For example, if you need the CUE for a game I own, I can make an image of the game on my end and then send you the CUE.

And no, you cannot copy games back to a PC from the PS2 using HDLdumb, which can be a little annoying.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

yo just wanted to say this thread kinda inspired me to get my PS2 game right again. latest FMCB, redid all my ISOs, good things.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

TSTR wrote:yo just wanted to say this thread kinda inspired me to get my PS2 game right again. latest FMCB, redid all my ISOs, good things.

Niceeee. Did you just rip your entire PS2 collection!? or organize/consolidate files?

Ripping my entire PS2 collection will happen eventually. I didn't even want to tackle it during the initial phases of this project. I just ripped about 100 movies to a HDD so I need a break from that fun lol.

I have about 8 .iso files ready to go that I DLed after checking against the OPL compatibility list. Will probably find some time to move them over & test this weekend.

Question regarding the games that require modes activated:
- IRRC I need to do two things, select the mode when moving file over in WINHIIP & also chose the option in OPL. Is that right?

I have a few game I want to DL and/or rip that require this according to the OPL chart I linked previously. Thanks for the help!

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Oh nah, just reorganized files and such. Still feels good tho. I doubt I'll ever get around to ripping my disc collection; I mainly use the HDD for imports and shit that is too expensive for its own good.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Ignore modes when dumping the games to the HDD. Select modes, if needed, once in OPL. I say do it this way because I'm pretty sure the modes in winhiip and HDLdumb are outdated compared to the latest OPL release.

The compatibility modes don't alter the ISO in any way, so you don't have to worry about it "not copying right" or anything like that. The modes just tell OPL what to do with the game.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

^Ziggy's got it
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

TSTR wrote:Oh nah, just reorganized files and such. Still feels good tho. I doubt I'll ever get around to ripping my disc collection; I mainly use the HDD for imports and shit that is too expensive for its own good.

Exactly my first two goals in the project:
1. Play expensive games I don't own
2. Imports
3. Stop acquiring gamse you want to test that look okay
4. Just less clutter in general
5. Burn retail games I currently own

@ Ziggy & TSTR, Thanks. Will DL a couple that require modes for testing. Appreciate it!

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

9/26/16 Progress - Multiple .iso files loaded & running:

While I enjoyed the setup, time to do what this mod was for in the first place... enjoy some games! Transferred over 19 .isos today plus I already had Grandia II transferred over. 20 retail PS2 games should last me a while :)

nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

A beautiful set so far.

For "Zone of the Enders", I could not get it to save (via memory card or vmc). It just freezes the game.
It's a short game from what I hear, but still would be a 6-10 hour marathon.
If it doesn't save for you I'd give up on it, as you don't know if it's stuck in a save loop or not (could be destroying the memory card).

--EDIT--
If you want to organize by name (and not release number), consider re-naming your games (can be done at the time of install or afterwards through OPL).
...just another lost soul...