Together RPG - Skies of Arcadia - 8/4 -> 10/4

Level up here
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Re: Together RPG - Skies of Arcadia - 8/4 -> 10/4

Post by CFFJR »

MrPopo wrote:So my sailing career just escalated. It's too bad the ship to ship combat is so rote; avoid dying until you get to use your super weapon, then win.

Also, am I the only one playing? That's fine if I am; I enjoy posting about what I play and if no one else is joining I might as well go into more details; I've been holding off in case people might get spoiled by my ramblings.

Well, I will play, I just can't at the moment. My copy is floating around somewhere in the mail.

Having said that, I don't care about spoilers and I've always enjoyed reading your game progress posts, so have at it.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

MrPopo wrote:So my sailing career just escalated. It's too bad the ship to ship combat is so rote; avoid dying until you get to use your super weapon, then win.

Also, am I the only one playing? That's fine if I am; I enjoy posting about what I play and if no one else is joining I might as well go into more details; I've been holding off in case people might get spoiled by my ramblings.

No good sir you are not the only one. I just moved to a new apartment and took the gamecube out to play some skies of arcadia. Now, my experience so far has been limited, as I just finished the first little intro, but I will be working through it when I can and updating everyone!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

I plan to get down and play as well, but finishing up Front Mission on DS first.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Jmustang1968 wrote:I plan to get down and play as well, but finishing up Front Mission on DS first.

The main game or the USN campaign?
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

MrPopo wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:I plan to get down and play as well, but finishing up Front Mission on DS first.

The main game or the USN campaign?

Ummm both. Playing the Royd campaign right now.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I'm glad I didn't miss this thread.

I got the DC version about 10 years ago. I made it to the second disc, but stopped playing for whatever reason. Since then, I've been wanting to start the game over. But the eternal DC versus GCN battle kept me from it. I own the DC version, but I've long thought about getting the GCN version to start it up again. That's kept me from playing it.

Maybe I'll just play the DC version, since I already own it and my DC gets very little use as it is. I just gotta build a little VGA-like box for the Framemeister first...
Last edited by Ziggy on Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Ziggy587 wrote:I'm glad I didn't miss this thread.

I got the DC version about 10 years ago. I made it to the second disc, but stopped playing for whatever reason. Since then, I've been wanting to start the game over. But the eternal DC versus GCN battle kept me from it. I own the DC version, but I've long thought about getting the GCN version to start it up again. That's kept me from playing it.

Maybe I'll just play the DC version, since I already own it and my DC gets very little use as it is. I just gotta build a little VGA-like box for the Framemeister...

Play the dreamcast version and don't forget to put batteries in your VMU and play the mini-games. You know you want to play mini-games on that thing while you work!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Play the dreamcast version and don't forget to put batteries in your VMU and play the mini-games. You know you want to play mini-games on that thing while you work!

:lol:

If I ever open my VMUs it wont be to change the battery... It'll be to disconnect the speaker so I don't ever have to hear that annoying dead battery beep every time I power on the Dreamcast!

I kid, maybe I'll check it out. That also makes me think... I should probably check my Dreamcast's internal battery and make sure it's not dead.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I think I'm right before the second disk; I've got a save before the boss of the water temple and elected not to do the fight because I wanted to get some Starflight in before bed last night.

This is definitely a solid game, but all the little annoyances are really starting to bug me. The encounter rate massively disincentivises looking for discoveries and combat takes too long. You've got that long loading before you get to start doing commands (it feels slower than FFVII's and isn't as dynamic), then the actual attacks are rather plodding, and too many of the special moves (which are bread and butter) have overly long sequences, at least given how often you use them. The long sequence on your airship's super attack? That's fine, you don't use it often. But Lambda Burst and especially Omega Psyclone take way too long given you'll be using them in every fight to deal with the enemy hordes.

I feel like this game gets some points for being one of the few RPGs on the Dreamcast and the Gamecube. Had it been released on the PS1 or the PS2 it wouldn't be as well regarded.

Again, solid game overall, but the rough edges are starting to bug me.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

It's been so long since I've played it that I don't really remember much. I do remember sailing into some sort of air current or whatever, and that was right around the disc change.

I hadn't noticed an encounter rate problem when I was playing it. I just hope that the idea wasn't put into my head, and now when I play it again I'll think there's too many encounters.