RPG Progress Report

Level up here
MrPopo

Re: RPG Progress Report

Post by MrPopo »

I had the sad experience of discovering that X-Magic doesn't let you dualcast Blue in FFV. Fortunately, my Blue user also was running Summon, so I had something to dualcast for damage. My final party was:

2x Fighters - Freelancers with Dual Wield, Sword Magic, and X-Fight
2x Caster - Mimes with X-Magic, one was Blue/Summon, one was White/Time

Thundaga Sword Magic is complete hax against Omega, and Flare is for everything that doesn't have an element weakness. My fights would go first turn, sword magics, big guard, hastega, slowga, turn two would be X-Fights, golem, carbuncle, meteor, meteor. Final final boss I'd let my x-magic time mage do the meteor, quick, meteor meteor meteor meteor combo, but then I'd have to burn an elixir, as even with Gold Hairpin that sucks down MP. And then Square thought it'd be a good idea to put that combo in the game again, but add in a 1 MP relic.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Hmm...so, onto Super Mario RPG. I have just finished the mine in Moleville. Mario and Mallow are level 12, while Geno is level 10. I have the alto card and am looking into beating the Yoshi Race, but I really don't understand the rhythm I'm supposed to be using. I know it's the cymbals in the song, but when I move in time, it doesn't seem to work. Oh well. So, this game is fairly short compared to modern JRPGs, isn't it?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

To be honest I was never able to figure out the rhythm for the race. The reward isn't too good either, so I wouldn't stress about it.

As for length, from the perspective of areas you're halfway through the game, but the second half of the game is much longer than the first half. The game is shorter than Chrono Trigger, but at the same time I feel like the length is perfect for the story they're telling.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Ack wrote:Hmm...so, onto Super Mario RPG. I have just finished the mine in Moleville. Mario and Mallow are level 12, while Geno is level 10. I have the alto card and am looking into beating the Yoshi Race, but I really don't understand the rhythm I'm supposed to be using. I know it's the cymbals in the song, but when I move in time, it doesn't seem to work. Oh well. So, this game is fairly short compared to modern JRPGs, isn't it?

Went on a bit too long for my liking, but yeah, it's much shorter than most modern RPGs, and also shorter than the FF games on SNES too.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Wow, I'm that far? Because from my perspective, it feels like I have just begun. Well, guess I will finish this sooner than I thought.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Again, you're midway through from the perspective of listing off every area you can go to. The early areas are all fairly short, so that's why you're already halfway through. You have a large area without a star coming up, and the 5th & 6th stars are long quests. The 7th is shorter, and then you have another very long period between the 7th star and the credits.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I still don't know how I beat Super Mario RPG when I first played it ages ago. I was young and had no idea what I was doing, I used the "See Ya!" item every single encounter once I got it, and never leveled up anything except HP. Somehow, I still beat it. lol

Not like it's super challenging or anything, but yeah, I do remember being stuck on the Axem Rangers for a long time though during that run.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Well, I'm in Monstro Town. I figure I must be pretty far, since I have two stars left to get. I've also looked at some of the items I've got and realized that it's quite nice, like the Safety Ring which halves elemental magic damage, prevents instant death attacks, and apparently makes the character immune to status effects. I just beat Jinx three times in a row and have a dojo, and I got the Ghost Medal. Characters range from level 20 (Mario) to level 16 (Toadstool).
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

As a gauge, level 20 is the last level you get a large stat bonus, and it takes about the same amount of exp to go from 1-20 as it does to go from 20-30 (level cap).
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

What team are you using anyhow? I was a traditionalist and stuck with Mario, Toadstool & Bowser. I thought the other two characters sucked.