Want to try out a rpg. What's a first timer to try

Level up here
MrPopo

Re: Want to try out a rpg. What's a first timer to try

Post by MrPopo »

I'm with you on the Lunar front, Bone. I picked them up on a recommendation of a friend and thought they were just middling. I enjoyed Brave Fencer Musashi and Parasite Eve more than the Lunar games.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I'll join the "Lunar is meh" party.

I finished Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete back in 2009, and thought it was a 7/10 at most. I haven't messed with Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete since, despite having access to it. I suppose that fact alone says everything.

The bromides are cool though.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I don't really like the PSX versions of Lunar. There's a rebalance and some changes to encounters that change things for the worse. Silver Star is probably better on PSX, though. Also, the definitive version of Silver Star is the PSP version.

No, the one that I feel is a must-play in the series is Eternal Blue on Sega CD. I've got it right up there with Phantasy Star IV and the other 16-bit greats. The PSX version is pretty "meh" in comparison.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sarge wrote:The PSX version is pretty "meh" in comparison.

What's so much better about the SCD version?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Exhuminator wrote:
Sarge wrote:The PSX version is pretty "meh" in comparison.

What's so much better about the SCD version?

It's on the Sega CD. That's all that needs to be better.
Patron Saint of Bitch Mode
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

The two big changes both deal with enemy encounters. The PSX version has enemies visible on the map, which sounds great. However, they are ridiculously fast, and you have a short-range dash that only brings you up to their speed. Not to mention the bottlenecks in areas. You actually end up fighting more battles back-to-back than you do in the SCD version. I think the random battles are better in this case.

Once you get in battle, things have been tweaked as well. In the SCD version, enemy and player movement ranges are much shorter, which allows a bit more strategy. In the PSX version, enemies can basically march right in and start whacking your spellcasters, and there's not much you can do about it. That alone annoys the mess out of me.

I also know people didn't like the idea of spending Magic Experience to save, but it stops being an issue pretty fast. And I love being able to purchase spells with that instead of just getting them at set levels.

Anyway, yeah, I like the SCD version a ton more.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I HATE that save system in the Sega CD game. Another example of crappy Working Designs tweaking that serves no purpose except making the game arbitrarily "harder."
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I really enjoyed what I played of both the Lunar games on the PSX, and loved the super anime vibe. But yeah, admittedly didn't beat them. I recall the battle system being a bit too vanilla and not that interesting after awhile.

You want some S+ rank PSX JRPG greatness that's not Final Fantasy, you go with Breath of Fire IV.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Xeogred wrote:You want some S+ rank PSX JRPG greatness that's not Final Fantasy, you go with Breath of Fire IV. KING'S FIELD MUTHAFUCKKAS

;p

Or Vagrant Story. But that'd be S++.

Disregard I still haven't played BoF4. Due to the ass baskets that were BoF2 and BoF3.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Both are fantastic games. I love Breath of Fire IV, it might be my favorite in the series. Vagrant Story is legit, too. Actually, in a lot of ways it gives me some of the same vibe that Brandish just did.

I don't understand the appeal of King's Field, though. I mean, that stuff is just for casuals. It's right there with stuff like Farmville or Candy Crush.