Gaming on Windows Tablets thread

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Gaming on Windows Tablets thread

Post by isiolia »

fastbilly1 wrote:The tablet runs Gog Galaxy and the handful of titles I have thrown at it. Any application you are thinking of in particular? They run full Windows 8.1 with Bing on x86 architecture, there should not be any issues running most any XP on program.

Maybe meant 16-bit applications?

On a different note, have you noticed poor performance with pre-DX9 stuff? Something I ran across when trying to figure out why FFXI runs like warmed over crap on my Surface Pro were complaints regarding that on Windows 8. Like, certain parts of DirectX backwards compatibility are oddly slow on the platform. The hardware itself is more than capable, as stuff like UT2k4 screams on it, but using the DX9 renderer.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

fastbilly1 wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:Do your tablets and micro-PCs like this one run 32-bit applications made for older windows desktops?

The tablet runs Gog Galaxy and the handful of titles I have thrown at it. Any application you are thinking of in particular? They run full Windows 8.1 with Bing on x86 architecture, there should not be any issues running most any XP on program.

That's good to hear. I'm a photographer and a graphic designer, so I'm always looking for a way to run photoshop on the go. Currently, I lug my macbook pro around in my briefcase. It gets heavy lugging that sucker around all day.

I'd like a tablet solution with a full-size SD card reader. I don't need to run the latest and greatest Adobe CC software. A lot of my older PCs are running Photoshop 7 because it has ridiculously low minimum requirements (I think it's 128MB of RAM and a Pentium III processor). If I could find a small windows 8 tablet with a full size SD card slot and full size USB port that could run photoshop for under two hundred dollars, I'd pick that up next payday.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

samsonlonghair wrote:That's good to hear. I'm a photographer and a graphic designer, so I'm always looking for a way to run photoshop on the go. Currently, I lug my macbook pro around in my briefcase. It gets heavy lugging that sucker around all day.

I can try with CS2 and CS4 later (since those are the only versions I own). CS2 should not be an issue, as long as you are not going to deep in layers. What gear are you using to shoot with and your typical image size so I can give you a better idea of how it will handle it.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

fastbilly1 wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:That's good to hear. I'm a photographer and a graphic designer, so I'm always looking for a way to run photoshop on the go. Currently, I lug my macbook pro around in my briefcase. It gets heavy lugging that sucker around all day.

I can try with CS2 and CS4 later (since those are the only versions I own). CS2 should not be an issue, as long as you are not going to deep in layers. What gear are you using to shoot with and your typical image size so I can give you a better idea of how it will handle it.

This is the camera I use most often:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-XS-18-55mm- ... B001CBKJGG
Effective Still Resolution 10.1 MP

Although I'm hoping to upgrading to the Canon 5D later this year.

Edit: If you can run CS2 on a cheap windows tablet, I'd be very interested to hear about it.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Post by samsonlonghair »

I can't find a single Windows Tablet in any price range that takes full-size SD cards. Looks like I'm going to have to switch to shooting photos on a micro-sd card and keep an adapter in my camera at all times.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

My micro sd card died on me, so when the new one arrives later this week I can test it for you. I have to juggle the data on there off to the sd so I can install CS2. My main camera shoots 14mp RAW, so if it can edit my files, your should not be an issue.

There are videos of people using CC on it, but I cant find one of someone editing a photo.
loktar

Post by loktar »

Just found this topic while randomly searching around for anyone with my tablet (TW802) anyway I've done a couple (poor quality) videos of what mines capable of so far

Running Skyrim on low

Running Warcraft 2 with a mouse, then touch, then ipega controller, then launching a drone using nodejs

I was also thinking of creating a site or a list out there of the games I've tested and how well they've worked. These are what I've gotten to work well so far.

* Starcraft II
* Starcraft Brood Wars
* Age of Empires Gold
* Warcraft II B.net edition
* Super Meatboy
* Iron Fisticle
* Binding of Isaac
* Mount and Blade (in dx7 mode I get over 90fps)
* Soldiers heroes of world war 2
* Faces of War
* Men of War (settings needed to be turned down)
* Nation Red
* Alpha Prime
* Skyrim (performance wasn't *too* great however)
* Blood (gog/dosbox) playable, but performance isn't amazing.
* HL2 runs amazing at native res accepted default graphics settings.

Games that didn't work.. or worked poorly
* Goat Simulator (needs more ram)
* Mass Effect 1 (runs horribly on the lowest settings unplayable)
* Zombie Driver HD (runs poorly on lowest settings)

Anyway that's what I've tested so far on the tw802, I have a pretty extensive steam library and physical pc game collection so if anyone wants me to test anything let me know.

Also thanks for posting the low spec patches link, that's pretty awesome will be trying some of those out tonight!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

y'know it's odd, but I'm finding that I tend to still prefer to use my Shield when I can rather than the tablet. Even with the clip-on Xbox controller, it feels a bit top heavy and I find it to just take longer to plug in the controller and get into Windows and load up whatever it is I want to play. I know it's #1stworldgamerproblemz, but the Shield just seems like a more convenient pick-up-and-play device. Even if the Venue is more powerful and can play native Windows programs, my own laziness seems to opt for the convenience of the Shield. (shrug)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

have y'all heard of Twilight Struggle?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/406290/

It's a card game that now has a PC port. More importantly, it's a card game designed by one of the guys involved w/ XCOM. So now I'm intrigued.

This also got me thinking - let's talk about PC games that are perfect for tablets. Meaning, games that you don't need a controller. And probably keyboards are minimal as well.

The two that come to immediate mind for me from my own experience are Hearthstone and Talisman.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

The Shadowrun games from Harebrained Schemes work well. The latest Civ games are also touch friendly, though they are also battery hogs.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.