Thoughts on Deadly Premonition

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Opa Opa

Re: Thoughts on Deadly Premonition

Post by Opa Opa »

I was really just referring to the movement of the actual character. Walking around, running, turning... it all just feels tighter on the PS3. The 360 version felt a tad loose; to me, at least.

The aiming controls are equally as clunky though. lol. Combat definitely isn't this game's strongest feature... of course, you don't play this game for the combat. :)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Opa Opa wrote:The aiming controls are equally as clunky though. lol. Combat definitely isn't this game's strongest feature... of course, you don't play this game for the combat. :)

nope. One of the things I love about this game is I have no idea what I'll be doing next. I pop it in and I might spend the next hour playing what feels like a horror game shooting stuff, or I might get lost in the rainy woods for half a fucking hour cuz I ran out of gas, or I might be talking to weirdo townsfolks. No idea dude. Just great.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

Opa Opa wrote:The aiming controls are equally as clunky though. lol. Combat definitely isn't this game's strongest feature... of course, you don't play this game for the combat. :)

Indeed, I read an interview with Swery once about how he had originally wanted to avoid any kind of combat gameplay, but "realized the game had to incorporate it". All in all the combat was okay, but like you mentioned before holy hell were those enemies that crawl around on the ceiling irritating. Not difficult, just far too time consuming. I disagree that the game needed combat/gunplay, but I don't think it really takes much away from the overall experience. The good outweighs the bad so overwhelming that the shoddy combat didn't bother me for a second.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

Here's something you guys might find interesting. Copied from a gamefaqs guide:

The difficulty determines how much damage you can take, how difficult the
enemies are to destroy
, and how difficult it is to shake off them off when
one grabs you.

I think I'll play on Easy Mode from now on. Screw those ceiling monsters. I really don't want to waste 30 minutes per monster.

Okay, 30 minutes might be an exaggeration but it felt like 30 minutes after fighting those things.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I didn't even know there was a difficulty setting. Hmm.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Yes, and trophy wise, it doesn't consider the game beaten on lower levels if you beat it on higher ones, unlike many games that award you for beating easy and normal difficulty when you beat it on normal.

As for combat...it never bothered me. The combat system felt like an odd fusion of classic RE-style gunplay mixed with post-RE4 combat. I suppose that sounds a little odd, but having played a multitude of horror games with far worse combat, Deadly Premonition just was not that bad. And those ceiling enemies do take forever but are really easy when you know what you are doing. That's what the magnum is for!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

so now that several of us have imported the pricey import, they've announced that Deadly Premonition is being localized on PS3. :|
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

noiseredux wrote:so now that several of us have imported the pricey import, they've announced that Deadly Premonition is being localized on PS3. :|

and supposedly it's also going to have new content.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

noiseredux wrote:so now that several of us have imported the pricey import, they've announced that Deadly Premonition is being localized on PS3. :|

Who says this?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Opa Opa wrote:

Who says this?

Joystiq, Siliconera...