Coronavirus pandemic - how are you affected?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: Coronavirus pandemic - how are you affected?

Post by o.pwuaioc »

PretentiousHipster wrote:2 days ago Ontario had 1800 cases in a day. The next day, it was 3100. Now it's 3300. Our record was 4800.

This is why we need to get rid of intellectual properties, and vaccinated the more impoverished countries ASAP, so the variants will stop. I would go further for it with politics (looking past the geopolitical "opponents" and working for them with these issues), but that's not for this forum.

From what I understand, those countries do have vaccines, but there are other barriers:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... rs/620901/

Today, though, South Africa has about 150 days’ worth of vaccine supply. It’s now facing the same problem that’s bedeviling countries the world over: Lots of people don’t want to get their shots. South Africa recently paused deliveries of the J&J and Pfizer vaccines because it has more stock than it can use. “We have plenty [of] vaccine and capacity but hesitancy is a challenge,” Nicholas Crisp, the deputy director-general of the country’s health department, told Bloomberg recently.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Sadly a lot of hesitancy is due to misinformation and in some cases, beliefs that frame vaccinations, among other things, as unholy or outright associated with Satan or their belief system's counterpart, if any.

As I've said before my mom's hesitant to get it because she thinks it's untested, while my brother is afraid he'll have an adverse effect to the vaccine. And me? I'm just going to worry about getting my booster, which iirc I'll be eligible for in a few weeks, and lamenting my lack of authority in my family which I could use to get my family vaccinated.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

The question is how long will this virus stay around if it keeps mutating and varying? Its been two years already, I assumed the vaccine will be enough to take it down like the vaccine for the measles but this virus seems like it needs a continuously supply of vaccines. The other thing is that its just insane to create 8 billion vaccine shots for every human out there especially for every variant. I mean do we produce 8 billion of anything?! I don't know
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

We jumped up by 900 cases, up to 4200 in one day for my province... we'll seriously break a record with 2-3 days, maybe even tomorrow.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think the end result for the coronavirus is an endemic disease slightly worse than the flu, but perpetual rather than seasonal. I suspect folks will end up getting boosted annually as they are with the flu, unless boosters demonstrate long-term effect. Right now the boosters are proving to tackle new variants pretty well, but the long-term strength of that protection is still unknown.

Also, let’s be wary of talking about the politics of this, which is anything pertaining to people’s views and the effects thereupon.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

RCBH928 wrote:The question is how long will this virus stay around if it keeps mutating and varying? Its been two years already, I assumed the vaccine will be enough to take it down like the vaccine for the measles but this virus seems like it needs a continuously supply of vaccines. The other thing is that its just insane to create 8 billion vaccine shots for every human out there especially for every variant. I mean do we produce 8 billion of anything?! I don't know

In 2019 the US produced 218 billion pounds of milk (yes, it's a weird unit, but that's what the USDA used in their report). In World War II the US produced 41.4 billion rounds of small arms ammunition (so 10 bullets to fire at every person in the world at the time). When humans put their mind to it it's amazing what they can do.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

PretentiousHipster wrote:We jumped up by 900 cases, up to 4200 in one day for my province... we'll seriously break a record with 2-3 days, maybe even tomorrow.

idk, the numbers seem low when compared to the size of the population according to worldmeter.info COVID19 deaths are 5.5M and if I calculated right this equals to 0.0006875% of world population... negligible and we shouldn't worry about it? I mean even the regular flu kills. I still do not know why the fuss about it and what makes this virus so very different to be scary so much.

MrPopo wrote:In 2019 the US produced 218 billion pounds of milk (yes, it's a weird unit, but that's what the USDA used in their report). In World War II the US produced 41.4 billion rounds of small arms ammunition (so 10 bullets to fire at every person in the world at the time). When humans put their mind to it it's amazing what they can do.

Mind boggling numbers, I just can't imagine it seeing it all in front of me with my eyes. Also when you hear 218 Billion pounds of milk this also means how much work was done to make it, so while machinery plays a role in it but some one some where put 1 billion hours of work to make that 218 billion pounds of milk assuming it takes 1 hr to make 218 pounds of milk. Again if my calculations are right, 1B hours = 114155 years :shock: ! Of course I do not know if 218 pounds of milk takes one hour I am just estimating. Even if we say it takes 10min that is still 19K years. I might be wrong about the math.
marurun

Post by marurun »

RCBH928 wrote:
PretentiousHipster wrote:We jumped up by 900 cases, up to 4200 in one day for my province... we'll seriously break a record with 2-3 days, maybe even tomorrow.

idk, the numbers seem low when compared to the size of the population according to worldmeter.info COVID19 deaths are 5.5M and if I calculated right this equals to 0.0006875% of world population... negligible and we shouldn't worry about it? I mean even the regular flu kills. I still do not know why the fuss about it and what makes this virus so very different to be scary so much..

The way those deaths are calculated probably severely undercounts. For more information see some of the links below. COVID also leaves many survivors with long-term health problems. Additionally, at least in the US, those who are hospitalized with severe COVID have a rather high death rate within the next year post-recovery, and those deaths aren't counted as COVID deaths. So the actual impact of COVID on worldwide health and death rates is quite pronounced and very difficult to accurately measure. The flu also has environmental limits that affect which times of year it is most potent in most areas. COVID does not have this limitation thus far. COVID's danger is that we still don't know how it can and will mutate. The flu is pretty predictable for the most part. It's been around a long time and we have a decent idea how to handle it. COVID is new. It's a different kind of virus with different effects on the body which we're still learning about. It has done a lot of damage already and may do a lot more. Perhaps someday it will be an endemic flu-like virus that we understand fairly well, but we're not there yet. It's also possible it will mutate and get much worse. We just don't know. Experts cannot treat something new and novel the same way as something we are familiar with and understand fairly well. COVID and the flu are apples and oranges.

https://www.who.int/data/stories/the-tr ... -mortality

https://covid19.who.int/
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

You probably wouldn't call 5.5M deaths negligible if it was caused by a war.

My partner works at a respiratory clinic. The most common patients now are the ones that got lung damage from covid, even the younger population. So, you have to keep in mind that just because a virus won't kill a person doesn't mean it didn't affect them. The flu kills, but the vast majority of the time once it's gone it's gone.
benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

Don’t know if any of college classmates got covid or even passed away? I know it’s morbid to say. I haven’t been on Facebook for years, dislike reaching out. Student loans returning and I still don’t have a job to go just like a million people out there. Education should be free or or max $25,000.
Last edited by benderx on Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)