Harvest Moon Thread

Level up here
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: Harvest Moon Thread

Post by ZeroAX »

The Harvest Moon games that made me fall in love with the series were the original (the concept was just too much fun) and Back to Nature (it took the N64 game, refined it, and then blew it out of the park). The characters were memorable and lovable, the town was fun, the game was balanced (it was a real pain to make money and you actually had a tight schedule if you wanted to achieve all of the things for your end game, unlike later harvest moon games where you get way too much money imo).

Then you have the GBA games that are 16 bit ports of BTN, which is fine by me. The serious went really downhill from then on imo, with the worst offender being this piece of shit (sorry to the people that like it, it's just my opinion ofc):

You guys have NO IDEA how long I waited for this game. I only had a gamecube, so I could only play BTN at my cousin's house on his PS1. And when I saw that a harvest moon game was coming out for the gamecube I was super excited....only it took FUCKING ages to be released in Europe. I kept looking at fansites, and I was super excited about all the release information, like the kid growing up, and being able to have your own shop on sundays, it sounded really fun.

And then it was released and I played it.......I remember reading some really negative reviews about it being slow, but I wanted to be positive and I lied to myself that it was probably reviewed by people who just don't like this type of game.....boy was I wrong. This game is a slog, and it should be really REALLY avoided. There's really no fun to be had here.

Then I kept trying the DS games, but just getting disappointed. And then finally we had a renaissance in the series with animal parade which is really good imo. Different as it has a bigger focus on social interaction, but while maintaining a lot of farming work. And of course a new beginning with its endless customization, and REALLY getting the core features down and well done (farming, getting married). WHat I especially love is all the various different forms of income you have, and the new festivals that keep appearing. by the way I'm still on my first year, because each day is really long, but I think I will be playing this game for a long time. And I wish the best of things for this series, since its one of the top 10 series of games that have come to define me as a gamer and I love it from my "gamer heart".
Last edited by ZeroAX on Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

^It's funny because I loved Another Wonderful Life but I thought A New Beginning was a bit of a slog ha. I didn't think it was shitty or anything like that, just really drawn out and boring.
Westane
32-bit

Post by Westane »

I liked A Wonderful Life a lot actually, but I'd never recommend it to anyone over other games. Also the PS2 version is pretty terrible due to load times and lag.

I still contend that Magical Melody, the other HM released for the GC, is one of the better games in the serious though.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

ZeroAX wrote:And I wish the best of things for this series, since its one of the top 10 series of games that have come to define me as a gamer and I love it from my "gamer heart".

This series is doing just fine under its new name:

http://www.amazon.com/Story-Seasons-Nin ... of+seasons

http://www.amazon.com/Return-PopoloCroi ... of+seasons
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

^Oh man I'm so stocked for Return to Popolocrois... I'm really liking the PSP one so far and it looks a little more interesting to me than the 3DS Harvest Moons.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Have you tried any of the Rune Factory games yet?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

I've played a bit of the original Rune Factory and also Rune Factory Frontier. I remember really liking both? It's been a while since I've played the original so I'm not fully sure on that... but I definitely loved Frontier. Didn't play enough to marry anyone though, since I had to pack my Wii :/