NEC --- If you could have any 30 games on your shelf

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
mjmjr25

Re: NEC --- If you could have any 30 games on your shelf

Post by mjmjr25 »

dsheinem wrote:so this one is pretty much dead?

...well, a pretty niche console, even for this forum, so just going off of you, maru and hobie for now...will probably wait and see if more chime in.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

dsheinem wrote:Summer Carnival too.

You gotta Specify Nexzr since that was Summer Carnival 93 and there's also Alzadick, which was Summer Carnival 92. :P
marurun

Post by marurun »

mjmjr25 wrote:
dsheinem wrote:so this one is pretty much dead?

...well, a pretty niche console, even for this forum, so just going off of you, maru and hobie for now...will probably wait and see if more chime in.

Among US retrogamers, yeah, it's kinda niche. But this system was pretty popular in Japan. Beat out the Mega Drive in sales, so I don't know if we can call it niche on the whole.

And stick to Nexzr. Aldazick is decent, but not quite as awesome.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I've only played a handful of NEC stuff.

So what's here that I'd heartily recommend?

Ys I & II - check
Legendary Axe - check
Any Crush pinball game - check
Blazing Lazers / Gunhed - check
A Bonk game - check
A few more shmups for color because after all the NEC console was known for them - check
Good arcade ports (Cadash/Splatterhouse/Ninja Spirit) - check
Bomberman in some capacity - check even though I'm more familiar with '94, I'm guessing the presence of Mega Bomberman on the Genesis makes '93 a better choice

Anyone mention Dragon Spirit? I remember putting in some time on that @ the SOTM. I know the NES port might be better to some, but it's still not all that bad.

Other than that, to a PCE/TG 16 newbie, it's a solid list.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
ChrisHaha2049
24-bit

Post by ChrisHaha2049 »

Haven't played my TG16 in a long time, but guess I'll throw in my opinion on some of what I remember...

Full, unwavering support:

Akumajo Dracula X Rondo of Blood
Ys Book 1 + 2
Legendary Axe
Legendary Axe II
Air Zonk
Blazing Lasers / Gunhed
Lords of Thunder
Gate of Thunder
Military Madness
Devil's Crush
Dragon's Curse
Dungeon Explorer
Cadash
Soldier Blade
Parasol Stars
Bonk's Revenge*
-- I think only 1 Bonk game is needed since they all play pretty much the same. So I choose Bonk's Revenge...for no more reason than it's the one I played the most.

+1s
Bloody Wolf -- Has a "ridiculous 80's action movie" vibe to it...adding to its charm.

Monster Lair (Wonderboy III) -- It may be of the same series as Dragon's Curse (which is also Wonder Boy 3 on the SMS...go figure). But they're totally different games. Dragon's Curse is action/adventure, with exploration. Monster Lair is basically a shmup, with some platforming (1st half of each stage), and it can be played 2-player simultaneous. DC is the better game, but I think ML at least deserves a mention.

Magical Chase -- Yeah, not worth the going price, but still a darn good cute-em-up worthy of a mention at least.

Neutopia 2 -- Zelda copycat, but well done. Plays great and a lot of fun. That's all that matters. Both are good, but in a top 30, I'd take the sequel over the 1st.

Super Star Soldier -- Each Soldier game is a different experience, and all are awesome.

Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier) -- Not just a parody of Super Star Soldier, but a great shooter in its own right.

Not top 30 worthy... -1, I guess...
Aero Blasters -- I may be biased, but I like the TG16 version best. It's close, but I don't think it's top 30. Honorable mention for sure.

New Adventure Island -- It's OK, but nothing really "new" about it. It's essentially the TG16 version of the NES and SNES games, and I don't believe it stands out much (if at all) over those.

Ordyne -- Hori shooter with cute graphics. Can be played 2-players. Power-ups are purchased in a shop that appears about mid-stage. It's not bad, but I could take it or leave it...

Raiden -- I don't care much for the arcade game either, but this port still seems mediocre (lots of flickering).

Violent Soldier (Sinistron) -- Just another OK hori shooter... Better than average, perhaps, but not top 30...

Ys 3 -- I liked it enough, but it did come off to me as a bit disappointing. The story isn't as interesting as its predecessor. The jerky scrolling is...weird. And the side-scrolling gameplay seemed so ordinary and linear. Certainly the series' black sheep for me (though I've never played any of the other sequels)...

And some of my considerations...
Somer Assault (Mesopotamia) -- Unique...um, shooter? run-n-gun?... Where you control a pink slinky, battling zodiacal bosses. It's fun maneuvering the slinky through the levels. (And 1 of the VERY few games which the English title is better than the original.)

Moto Roader -- Top down Racer that was great fun with the Turbo Tap and 4-5 players (if you got 'em). Probably not top 30, but I still wanted to give it a shout out. Haven't played the sequels.

Final Lap Twin -- Decent, albeit standard 2D racer of the era. What makes it stand out to me is the neat RPG (Quest) mode; with a full blown overworld, towns with townsfolk, and random encounters fought out on the race track. Pretty novel thing at the time. I know World Court Tennis has this mode, too, but I'm not much a tennis fan...

Valis 3 -- Side scrolling hack-n-slash. Superior to the Genesis version. And huge improvement in every way to Valis 2; Gameplay (3 interchangeable characters with unique attacks). Better visuals/cinemas. Beautifully composed soundtrack that enhances the mood. And a lot of levels.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

<Checks list>

<Sees Ys Book I & II, Ninja Spirits, Legendary Axe, Blazing Lazers, Lords of Thunder, Military Madness, Devil's Crush, Splatterhouse, and Bonk's Adventure>

<Feels content that all is right with the world>
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Bomberman '94 is better than Bomberman '93 imo. It did have ports to SNES and Mega Drive, but I think the Turbo version is the only one to support 5 player mode?
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

My PC Engine collection has gone from 2 to 44 over the past few months, I will have to add my input on what I have found to be my very best PC engine games. They are mostly CD games as I can play hu cards on my Everdrive.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

marurun wrote:Bomberman '94 is exactly the same game as Mega Bomberman. I think it's a better version of the game, but if you're gonna get only 1 bman game on the console, go for '93.

Why would you go for 93 over 94? I have always preferred 94 since I thought Roos added an additional tactical component to the matches.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

ninjainspandex wrote:My PC Engine collection has gone from 2 to 44 over the past few months, I will have to add my input on what I have found to be my very best PC engine games. They are mostly CD games as I can play hu cards on my Everdrive.

I went in the opposite direction, recently. No fault of the system, mind you. Just got out before the hardware/collecting headaches took its toll on me. Honestly, though, I didn't play too much on the system, but most of what I did, I enjoyed. Military Madness, Gates of Thunder and Sapphire were great; Exile was very good (more of its "taboo" story than gameplay).