How Is Your SNES Gaming Going?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Re: How Is Your SNES Gaming Going?

Post by SNESdrunk »

Hobie-wan wrote:
Retrogamer0001 wrote:Soul Blazer is one of my favorite games ever - still underrated today, even though the price has gone up.

I haven't started Terranigma yet, but I like SB a little better than Gaia. It is just more direct and you constantly feel like you're making progress as bits of town come back while you play. Sure it is simpler, but that just makes it easier to jump in and have some fun even if you only have a short time to play.

I haven't played Soul Blazer yet, but is the story as insane as Illusion of Gaia? IoG had a talking flute, a suicidal pig who jumps into a campfire, cannibalism, child slavery, a guy setting his own hair on fire... :shock:
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Not quite that nuts. There were talking inanimate objects though.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

I still play my original SNES I got as a gift back in December 1991, still works great, zero problems. I've barely even had to clean it. I rarely hear about technical issues or durability problems with SNESessessesesess...eses.

The best aspect of Super Nintendo is that regardless of what genre of game you like, it's going to have at least a dozen above-average or better games that'll satisfy what you're looking for.

As for games I have, nothing spectacular, but I can copy/paste my list just for fun.

ActRaiser
    Bill Walsh College Football
    Chrono Trigger
    Contra III: The Alien Wars
    Donkey Kong Country
    Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
    EarthBound
    Family Feud
    Final Fantasy III (VI)
    Final Fight
    Final Fight 3
    F-Zero
    Gradius III
    Illusion of Gaia
    John Madden Football
    Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball
    Krusty's Super Fun House
    Legend of the Mystical Ninja
    Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Lemmings
    Lufia & the Fortress of Doom
    Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
    Madden NFL '95
    Mega Man X
    Mega Man X2
    Mega Man X3
    Mortal Kombat II
    NBA Jam
    NBA Live 96
    NCAA Basketball
    NHL 96
    Pilotwings
    Secret of Evermore
    Secret of Mana
    SimCity
    Star Fox
    Street Fighter II Turbo
    Sunset Riders
    Super Bomberman
    Super Castlevania IV
    Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
    Super Mario All-Stars
    Super Mario Kart
    Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
    Super Mario World
    Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
    Super Metroid
    Super R-Type
    Super Tennis
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
    Tetris Attack
    Top Gear
    WWF Royal Rumble
    WWF Super Wrestlemania
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

BurningDoom wrote:I just recently downloaded Secret of Mana and Super Mario RPG on Wii Virtual Console. Soooo much hype surrounding those games. I really hope they can live up to the expectations.

That's the problem with getting into some of these classic games in this day and age -- they've been overhyped to death for two decades so expectations are through the roof. I feel a responsibility to break down exactly WHY those games are worth the hype.

To be brief, Secret of Mana has an incredible soundtrack, really satisfying gameplay (I love the sound when you squash a Rabite), and a surprisingly well-told story and outstanding overall presentation. The moment when you get to see the entire world sitting on your flying dragon, when that music kicks in... not many games pull that kind of a moment off like SoM.

Super Mario RPG has a unique timing based fighting system that's addicting. Plus if you don't laugh out loud at least 6 or 7 times as you progress through the game, then I don't know what to tell you.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

I love the way the Universal Game cases with custom covers look, and it makes me look like I have way more snes games than I really do haha.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I've got SimCity. I could not do anything with the $20K they gave me, so a tip in either Game Players (or was it Game Pro) to get $999,999 made it a lot more fun. My copy I think had a faulty battery because game saves were always being erased. I did let my friend borrow it and he managed to complete all 6 scenarios and the bonus one you unlock by doing it. Crazy.

Ziggy587 wrote:You know, I've noticed it in two lists in this thread. I know I've noticed it in people's game room pics and other such lists. I know in this thread's poll it was voted behind DKC1 and 2, and even behind DKC Returns. But, why does it seem like so many people own Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 but not 3? Was three the best of the SNES trilogy? No. Was it the most different from the other two? Yes. Is it just as fun to play as the other two? Definitely! Is it worth owning and playing through after the first two? Absolutely!

I got DKC and DKC2 in Christmas 94 & 95. By 1996, my time was getting a bit short and my interest in the SNES was waning ever since I got a PC a few years before that. The last game I probably got at full retail was Super Mario RPG -- that made my summer in '96 pretty fun. Also got the NP guide.

I played about 10 minutes of DKC3 and really didn't see a lot of fun in it. They really should have stopped at 2, they just got everything right there.

BurningDoom wrote:I just recently downloaded Secret of Mana and Super Mario RPG on Wii Virtual Console. Soooo much hype surrounding those games. I really hope they can live up to the expectations.

You will love SMRPG. As I said, it made my summer. So much stuff to do, they nailed the presentation, the battle system was unique, and there's TONS of Nintendo, pop culture, and even *1* distinct Square reference to find.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

s1rweeze wrote:I still play my original SNES I got as a gift back in December 1991, still works great, zero problems. I've barely even had to clean it. I rarely hear about technical issues or durability problems with SNESessessesesess...eses.

Yeah, they don't make em like they use to.

My first SNES was the SMW bundle, and judging from the label variant it was from either 92 or 93. Unfortunately, I had to retire this SNES. While playing any game, I get some garbage graphics on the screen. After being sure the cart slot is 100% clean and doing a little research, I'm pretty sure my problem is bad RAM or a bad PPU. :(

ExedExes wrote:I've got SimCity. I could not do anything with the $20K they gave me, so a tip in either Game Players (or was it Game Pro) to get $999,999 made it a lot more fun. My copy I think had a faulty battery because game saves were always being erased. I did let my friend borrow it and he managed to complete all 6 scenarios and the bonus one you unlock by doing it. Crazy.

Yeah, my first Sim City cart would always drop my saves on me. Then like I said, the battery died on me. But those older carts without MAD-1 are really prone to dropping saves. If the cart or cart slot is a little dirty, this can lead to losing your saves. Another thing, Sim City is one of those games that allows you to erase save data by holding down a button combo while loading the game. I might have done this by accident a few times when I was younger.

Damn, all this Sim City talk is making me wanna play it!

ExedExes wrote:I got DKC and DKC2 in Christmas 94 & 95. By 1996, my time was getting a bit short and my interest in the SNES was waning ever since I got a PC a few years before that. The last game I probably got at full retail was Super Mario RPG -- that made my summer in '96 pretty fun.

Yeah, I remember by the time DKC3 came out my brother and I were really looking to get an N64. I remember renting DKC3 and Wrinkly Kong playing SM64 in her save cave. I actually didn't get a copy of DKC3 until years later.

ExedExes wrote:I played about 10 minutes of DKC3 and really didn't see a lot of fun in it. They really should have stopped at 2, they just got everything right there.

While I like 2 just a little more than the other ones (probably just due to nostalgia) all three are great games. The third one is just as fun to play as the other two. If you like the first two, I really recommend giving the third one a try beyond 10 minutes. It's worth it. It's still a DKC, made by the same people that made the other two.

Universal Game Cases

Whenever I see a pic of a few dozen UGC lined up on a shelf, it's looks so mint. I would love to do this to my SNES collection, but it's too expensive for me. The cases alone are, what, 50-100 dollars for 100 cases? Then you have to print covers for each one. It would be way too costly for me to print them, being that ink carts are like $30 plus each. I had Fed Ex print me a couple covers once, they look professional and were only $1 and change each. But again, 100 covers at a dollar each means $100. :(
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Ziggy587 wrote:Whenever I see a pic of a few dozen UGC lined up on a shelf, it's looks so mint. I would love to do this to my SNES collection, but it's too expensive for me. The cases alone are, what, 50-100 dollars for 100 cases? Then you have to print covers for each one. It would be way too costly for me to print them, being that ink carts are like $30 plus each. I had Fed Ex print me a couple covers once, they look professional and were only $1 and change each. But again, 100 covers at a dollar each means $100. :(

Yeah.... They look awesome but in order to swing that I would need
- to be able to pull a couple hundred dollars out of my ass
- a game room that's twice the size of the one I currently have
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

I'm ashamed to say I haven't touched my SNES since April last year. That's my fault, I still have several great games to play that I haven't even booted up beyond testing to make sure they work.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I've been on hiatus from SNES gaming since the end of June. The Steam summer sale started, and I moved heavily into PC gaming. I expect I will probably swing about at some point and go back to my SNES, but I tend to be very heavily into one thing at a time.