No more good games (depressed)

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
dogman91
128-bit

Re: No more good games (depressed)

Post by dogman91 »

Zing wrote:
christopher85 wrote:I used love video gaming

So why not go back and play games from the period you enjoyed? That's what I do. It's rare that I enjoy a modern mainstream game and even more rare that I enjoy an "indie" game. I just stick with games I missed the first time around from the 16/32 bit days.

This is what I was thinking. @OP I doubt you've played "all" the good games from the past several decades; maybe try looking at some of the hidden gem guides here. What are some examples of games you enjoyed with which you can't find an equivalent modern version of now, just out of curiosity's sake?
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

AppleQueso wrote:Here's something to chew on:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... DifvopMfA0

A usenet discussion from 1990 about how modern games suck compared to older ones.

That's really cool.

Two things I notice: back in the early days of the internet it seems the average user was smarter, they tended to make longer posts, and there was far less slang and abbreviations. Also, they used asterisks in place of italicized letters?
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
flex wood
Next-Gen

Post by flex wood »

o.pwuaioc wrote:That's...sort of a given, considering the thread...

I was joking I think.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

BoringSupreez wrote:Also, they used asterisks in place of italicized letters?

Was probably done in plain text, so bold/italics wouldn't have been an option. I think it's still something you tend to see pop up within certain spheres, gaming being one of them. So many of us are accustomed to typing into game chat that, for the most part, doesn't support formatting either. I still often wind up putting dashes around what could be italicized words/phrases.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

BoringSupreez wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:Here's something to chew on:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... DifvopMfA0

A usenet discussion from 1990 about how modern games suck compared to older ones.

That's really cool.

Two things I notice: back in the early days of the internet it seems the average user was smarter, they tended to make longer posts, and there was far less slang and abbreviations. Also, they used asterisks in place of italicized letters?

Well there were a lot less people on the internet too...
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

AppleQueso wrote:

That is a mouthful right there, and so much could be said. (sexual innuendo's aside)

I remember back on Bnet back when Starcraft launched, i dont ever remember "trolls" or people "rage-quitting" or people being mean, it was all good times from what i remember.

Also that post from usenet in the 1990's all i have to say is WOW, time flows like a river and history repeats itself XD
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Post by Menegrothx »

AppleQueso wrote:
BoringSupreez wrote:Two things I notice: back in the early days of the internet it seems the average user was smarter, they tended to make longer posts, and there was far less slang and abbreviations. Also, they used asterisks in place of italicized letters?

Because stupid people and average joes didn't use it
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Ack

Post by Ack »

J T wrote:Image

Maybe you couldn't win at an old school arcade game, but you could at least be winning like Charlie Sheen.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

Guess OP didn't ever play megaman 9 and 10, rayman legends, Shank 1 and 2, Metal Slug 7, Gunlord, super mario galaxy 1 and 2, Pier Solar, king of fighters xiii? They are still making good retro games. Also modern games are just as good IMO fallout 3 and new vegas, Farcry 3, Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row 3, xenoblade chronicles, basically anything first party on the Wii. Not sure what more OP wants, i think more likely his interest in gaming is waning and he is just getting nostalgic and grouchy.