Rocket League (STEAM, PS4)

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
mjmjr25

Re: Rocket League (STEAM, PS4)

Post by mjmjr25 »

What's "hoops"?

I was nervous to go online because i've only played AI and my sons - so I assumed it was going to be insanity online...it really isn't.

You can narrow your search by region / skill level / number of players in the match, etc. I've played at all levels now and really - it isn't near what I feared.

I've probably played against 40 people now, there was 1 who was insane - doing things w/the car I don't understand - like flying the entire length of the field in air, fast, and dead center on the ball. He scored 12 goals in a 5 minute game. It was brutal.

There was 1 other guy who was very good and out of my league. The other appx. 38 were slightly better, about the same, or slightly worse than me. So, I feel a lot better about it now.

I definitely need to figure out how to get better in air control and how guys develop power (twisting car violently into the ball). Also, there is something else to speed burst that i'm not understanding - using turbo, being closer to the ball at the start, there are guys a good distance further from the ball who can get to it from a dead stop.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Hoops is another mode that is being released for free:
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

The games all about momentum so the trick is never stopping and getting the 100% turbo whenever possible. Also there is a soft brake/drift option if you haven't been using that I think it's X on the 360 pad not sure what is is on the keyboard. Using turbo to fly is still difficult for me but I've seen some people do insane stuff with it.

Also have you tried ranked yet? Personally I'm kind of disappointed in it most games one team will be stuck with someone quitting early and/or going afk and it ends up causing a massive handicap since you aren't provided with replacements if someone flakes. I've had 2-3 matches where it ended up just being a 1v3 which totally blows :P.

Not super interested in hoops although the oddball game mode with the various experimental maps is pretty fun to play in really changes things up. Hoops just looks like it will require a lot of air control as well as a nearly impossible to defend goal. They show people sitting in the basket to play goalie but I just couldn't see that working out.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

I'm terrible with the drift option - it takes so little, but I still hold it too long and overplay EVERY time. It's terrible - I can't get my brain and my right thumb speaking the same language.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Hoops just launched.

Edit: Matchmaking seems to be utterly boned at the moment though :P.

Got into a match this mode sucks :lol: . 2v2 and as i expected defending the goal is almost impossible. You can drive through the net so there is no way to ramp upwards just a standard double jump to block once the ball is inside the hoop and it's nearly impossible to clear the ball that way especially since to score the ball doesn't have to hit the floor it detonates once it goes through the hoop. The map is also really small and cramped.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Disappointing about Hoops, it could have been really neat.

So my biggest gripe with Rocket League is that there is no lan mode. But there is a hidden set of mutators that people have found that enable a dedicated server but it crashes. Other mutators of note:
Six ball mode:
25 bots:

Reddit thread about it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeague/c ... ther_mods/
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I realize now why Rocket League always felt familiar. For UT2k4 there was a mod called Carball that was pretty much the exact same thing.
Note that image is of one of the raised goal maps.

I know Rocket League is the sequel to Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars, but the similarities are too striking. The boost pods on the default maps of both games are damn near identical.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

wow, crazy find Fast!
DreamyWarrior00
8-bit

Post by DreamyWarrior00 »

Love Rocket League! Got it for my PS4 when it was the free download i'm actually going to do collaboration stream this Saturday with all my partners and a special guest. We're going to be playing the 'Snow Day' variant which is hockey. The hoops was super fun I played it the other day. Is it only 2 on 2 though?
It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.Image
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Started playing it every couple days, both with other players and just bots. Once you learn how to fly the entire game is different. That first aerial block is like a drug.