POLL: Bootlegs / Reproductions: What is allowed

Post Your Goods (and possibly trade wishlists) here

How should the new Marketplace rule on boots / repros / multicarts read?

Poll ended at Sun May 18, 2014 12:32 pm

There is no problem - everything is fair game
9%
There is no problem as long as anything not original is clearly labeled by the seller
67%
No repros of games if available in US, JP, PAL despite price or translation
No votes
No repros of games if available in US, JP, PAL despite price or translation - no multicarts either
2%
No repros of games if available in US, JP, PAL despite price only (text heavy translations and multicarts ok)
22%

Total votes: 54

Duane Dibbley
128-bit

Re: POLL: Bootlegs / Reproductions: What is allowed

Post by Duane Dibbley »

I went with #2 as well. I haven't bought any repros yet, but I have seriously considered them in the past, and very well might in the future. Considering how costly some games are, having an inexpensive alternative is appealing to me. That's provided sellers are explicitly clear that the game is a repro.

I certainly understand the concern with repros flooding the market, but I think the Racketboy community can self-police the issue fairly well.

Don't people on this forum besides Onyx make repros? Or am I thinking of another forum?
My games for sale: Racketboy, Amazon, eBay
My systems: NES, Nintendo 64, GameCube (Game Boy Player), Wii / Game & Watch: Ball, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP (x2), Nintendo DSi / Genesis (Sega CD, 32X), Saturn / Game Gear / PlayStation, PlayStation 2 / Xbox / Mac (Windows PC) / iPhone, iPad
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

I'm not sure why everyone keeps bringing up retail multicarts in relation to #4. Yes Action 53 and the Caltron 6 in 1 are technically multicarts, but they are their own games. In this and most other references of the word it means typically Chinese multicarts with a hodge podge of games stolen from assorted other manufacturers and put together.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

^So no Neo 666-in-1 type things is what #4 means then?
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

TSTR wrote:^So no Neo 666-in-1 type things is what #4 means then?

That and Famicom 99 in 1 carts and such will be the main ones referred to, yeah. There are a number of GB* carts like that too. I have some in my game room thread, though I've not sold any. Trying to determine if I should not list those there either. Granted I got most of mine 3rd hand free or nearly so.

*minor edit of above for clarity*
Aramonde
128-bit

Post by Aramonde »

TSTR wrote:^So no Neo 666-in-1 type things is what #4 means then?

What an odd number to have :twisted:
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

I wish there was a keep things as they are option.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Jmustang1968 wrote:I wish there was a keep things as they are option.

That could be #1 or #2.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Hobie-wan wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:I wish there was a keep things as they are option.

That could be #1 or #2.

The problem is that the wording in both is too vague. I thought, by voting for #2, I was voting for the status quo, which is an expectation of honest listings in a thread. I am guessing many others did too.
nullxor
64-bit

Post by nullxor »

People actually sell reproduction retail games here? I don't agree with it because with devices such as Everdrives existing, why bother potentially flooding the market and ruining your hobby (collecting, hunting for games) with bootlegs? You can't blame it on the price because while M.U.S.H.A. may be $200, a Genesis Everdrive is only $80. Though I don't have a problem with unreleased/hacked/specific region reproductions at all really. I wouldn't even put a label stating that it was a reproduction on a cartridge of any of those types of games. If someone is going to buy one off me, they would know the back story on it and that it's not locally available in the market here.

Selling retail reproductions shouldn't be allowed I think and I assumed everyone here felt that way. :?
Onyxthecat
Next-Gen

Post by Onyxthecat »

nullxor wrote:People actually sell reproduction retail games here? I don't agree with it because with devices such as Everdrives existing, why bother potentially flooding the market and ruining your hobby (collecting, hunting for games) with bootlegs? You can't blame it on the price because while M.U.S.H.A. may be $200, a Genesis Everdrive is only $80. Though I don't have a problem with unreleased/hacked/specific region reproductions at all really. I wouldn't even put a label stating that it was a reproduction on a cartridge of any of those types of games. If someone is going to buy one off me, they would know the back story on it and that it's not locally available in the market here.

Selling retail reproductions shouldn't be allowed I think and I assumed everyone here felt that way. :?

Nice story bro.