castlevania symphony of the night questions.

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Ziggy

Re: castlevania symphony of the night questions.

Post by Ziggy »

I'm pretty sure PSP games are much lower resolution so they wouldn't look good. Even the PSP games that were ported to PS2 look like crap. I got the component cables for my PSP so I could play games on my TV, it looks pretty bad. The picture doesn't fill the entire screen and it's kinda blurry almost.

What I don't understand is why Rondo of Blood has never been translated for a console. Cited by most fans to be the best 2D Castlevania of the original format, it FINALLY gets translated with new voice overs.... and they release it for a hand held? I was thrilled to download Rondo on the Virtual Console, but it's like a kick in the face to finally have it translated on PSP and then release the Japanese version for the VC.
avrame
128-bit

Post by avrame »

I know what you are talking about, as I use my PSPgo on my 52' pretty regularly, but the quality is by all means passable. Sure, it may not be the prettiest gem, but the gameplay is there. And since when has graphics meant anything to people on this site :wink:
If you aren't having a good time, why are you playing?
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

avrame wrote:And since when has graphics meant anything to people on this site :wink:

I like graphics a lot! Symphony of the Night is pretty much the pinnacle of perfect picture to me. Basically, 16/32-bit 2D graphics are the perfect balance.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

avrame wrote:I know what you are talking about, as I use my PSPgo on my 52' pretty regularly, but the quality is by all means passable. Sure, it may not be the prettiest gem, but the gameplay is there. And since when has graphics meant anything to people on this site :wink:

Definitely passable, just not as pleasurable. Rondo of Blood looks a million times better on VC than PSP on TV, which is unfortunate since the PSP version is translated.
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

If you have a -2000 model, there's a plugin that makes the output fill a much larger portion of the TV screen. You can also use any kind of output cable, which is kind of cool. Just a thought for those of you that hacked your PSP to do something other than warez all the sweetz gamez.

..but honestly, it still looks like poop in comparison to the alternatives. :)
Genesis Knight
32-bit

Post by Genesis Knight »

I just finished this game on the PSX and was shocked at how much slowdown there is on the 'best' version of the game. Try having the Sword Familiar and going into your Mist form. If there's any enemies on screen the whole game goes down to single digit FPS. Kind of sucked since I used Mist form all the time to pass bosses.

While I'm here, what's the 'ultimate weapon' in this game besides the Sword Rod and Alucard Shield. (Speaking of that, why the heck did they put in such a game-breaking weapon like that? Anyone know?)
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

That weapon is NOTHING. :)

After you've beaten the game once, (or have at least one complete save file on your memory card, however it got there) you can get the Schmoo in the inverted library to drop the Crissaegrim. It's a one handed sword that can pretty much fell every single enemy/boss with a single button press (ok, sometimes you need two button presses). It's ridiculous. It can be a bitch to get it to drop though -- make sure you have at least one Ring of Varda equipped, or it's going to be miserable.

If you want to check it out without the hassle of beating the game and then grinding for it, you can always give it to yourself via Game Shark code: 30097A2E 0010.

Now THAT is a truly game breaking weapon. :)
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Post by Bradtemple87 »

irixith wrote:That weapon is NOTHING. :)

After you've beaten the game once, (or have at least one complete save file on your memory card, however it got there) you can get the Schmoo in the inverted library to drop the Crissaegrim. It's a one handed sword that can pretty much fell every single enemy/boss with a single button press (ok, sometimes you need two button presses). It's ridiculous. It can be a bitch to get it to drop though -- make sure you have at least one Ring of Varda equipped, or it's going to be miserable.

If you want to check it out without the hassle of beating the game and then grinding for it, you can always give it to yourself via Game Shark code: 30097A2E 0010.

Now THAT is a truly game breaking weapon. :)

I remember the Crissaegrim :)
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yeah, most of the time when I replay SotN I'll ignore the Crissaegrim. You forgot to mention a few characteristics about it though. It's not the most powerful sword in the game, but I think it's in the top 5. You press the button ONCE and it executes an instant 4 hits. So what ever damage it does, you have to multiply it by 4. That and the fact that with most other swords, when you swing them there's a certain amount of recover time before you can swing again. That, and if you're walking/running and you swing a sword you stop in your tracks. With the Crissaegim, you can swing while you're running without having to stop. So most rooms you can just run from one side to the other while mashing the button and not have to worry about anything. And yes, lol, most bosses die pretty instantly.

It makes the game too easy, though it's totally bitchin. I like the Terminus Est that you get from a Nova Skeleton. I mention it because you can get it right around the same time during a playthrough. That's what I always aim to get once I get into the inverted castle. I'll play with the Sword of Dawn for a short while before I get one. Those are probably my two favorite swords in the game.
fvgazi
Next-Gen

Post by fvgazi »

I'm in the beginning of the upside down castle right now on PS1. My game keeps crashing during a loading sequence to the next area. Right now all I have is a CD-R of the game. I'm looking around to get a legit copy. It's possibly one of my favorite games now.
[ XBL: downedcity | PSN: biggry | Steam: Merchandise ]
Black Lodge Amplification: http://blacklodgeamps.tumblr.com/