How do you feel about 2.5D platformers?

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!

How do you feel about 2.5D platformers?

I hate all of them.
No votes
I like them, as long as the series has started as 2.5 and not as 2D
7%
I love them, every series should transition to it and ditch 2D
6%
I don't mind it as long as the transition to 2.5D is good.
87%

Total votes: 54

eSPy
64-bit

Re: How do you feel about 2.5D platformers?

Post by eSPy »

Tomba was a pretty great example of this. Really due for a remake....and dont say Tomba 2
Atari 2600 Jr., NES, Gameboy, Genesis 1 and 2, Saturn, Virtual Boy, Gameboy Advance (with Supercard SD), Playstation (With Goldfinger), Nintendo 64, Playstation 2(modded), Nintendo DS (Fat) with Edge
kiteJargon
16-bit

Post by kiteJargon »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_89xd0

An example of 2.5d done right IMO. Feel free to disagree, but if you haven't played this N64 game I highly suggest a run through. It's called Mischief Makers and it's made by Treasure.
Generic signature------- ACTIVATE!

GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

I chose the fourth option, but I'd prefer if these "2.5" games were just 2D, but "2.5D" seems to be what the kiddys want these days.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

2.5D is a tricky one for me. I don't mind them, and enjoy some, especially New Super Mario Bros DS, but I'd rather see some genuinely 2D Pixel art or hand drawn animation than another 3D model. Actually, I wouldnt even mind if the back grounds were 3D if there was some nice character animation in 2D a la Paper Mario.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

GSZX1337 wrote:...but I'd prefer if these "2.5" games were just 2D, but "2.5D" seems to be what the kiddys want these days.

Doubt that has anything to do with it. It's pretty much because animating a 3D model is less time consuming (and therefore cheaper) than animating a 2D sprite.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

AppleQueso wrote:
GSZX1337 wrote:...but I'd prefer if these "2.5" games were just 2D, but "2.5D" seems to be what the kiddys want to animate these days.

Doubt that has anything to do with it. It's pretty much because animating a 3D model is less time consuming (and therefore cheaper) than animating a 2D sprite.

Fixed. :P
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

I was reading the review of Batman: The brave and the bold on IGN and got really pissed off when I saw that he says the 2D style makes it look like a downloadable game and not a retail game. Is this 1995? Haven't we gotten past the 3D is the future bullshit yet?
GigaPepsiMan
64-bit

Post by GigaPepsiMan »

I don't mind 2.5D platformers, a lot of people are put off by 2D games now (not sure why) so 2.5D is the only surefire way for te game to be both good and sellable.

Klona is th best 2.5D platformer I have played on a home console recently.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Jrecee wrote:I was reading the review of Batman: The brave and the bold on IGN and got really pissed off when I saw that he says the 2D style makes it look like a downloadable game and not a retail game. Is this 1995? Haven't we gotten past the 3D is the future bullshit yet?

"mainstream" "harcore" gaming sites. haHAha.... they suck
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

ZeroAX wrote:
Jrecee wrote:I was reading the review of Batman: The brave and the bold on IGN and got really pissed off when I saw that he says the 2D style makes it look like a downloadable game and not a retail game. Is this 1995? Haven't we gotten past the 3D is the future bullshit yet?

"mainstream" "harcore" gaming sites. haHAha.... they suck

Let's face it, these people only care about what's trendy. These are the same people who will criticize a game for not having online because, well, that's what everyone else is doing. I've actually read reviews that actually say that. Criticizing a game simply for not conforming, ridiculous. It's the same here with the comment about 2D graphics. God forbid someone release a 2D game that ISN'T a downloadable title. That's against the rules, all games must conform!

Ugh, the gaming industry is so annoying right now
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.