Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by noiseredux »

Random thoughts, all inspired by Overwatch but not necessarily about Overwatch:

1. It occurred to me that I'd probably call Overwatch my favorite game of this generation. I get sucked into it and play it for months at a time, and that's been going on for like three years now.

2. What even are generations now? I mean... Nintendo specifically. Like, Gamecube would've been PS2/Xbox generation; so Wii was PS3/360 generation. I get that. So like... Wii U was THIS generation? Is Switch "next gen," or did Nintendo have two systems THIS generation? It kind of just feels like Nintendo hardware is mid-gen I guess.

3. This weekend I bought a box Lucio-Oh's that I saw at Target. I just couldn't pass up Overwatch cereal. I don't know if that's awesome in the same way that I bought Mario Bros/Zelda cereal as a kid, or if I should be a totally embarrassed adult.
marurun

Post by marurun »

The Switch is in-between everything. It's between generations, it's between console and handheld... I think it's probably safer (or at least less intellectually confusing) to view the Switch as part of the handheld generation chart, which is a bit different from the console generation.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I know the Switch is both, but I tend to think of it as a console that you can take portably rather than a portable you can dock. Mostly, because the Wii U was clearly a console, and the Switch seems like a perfected revision of that.
marurun

Post by marurun »

My rationale is that as a piece of hardware it seems more a development of their mobile hardware line. Arm-based, touch screen, etc... I know it serves just fine as a console, but it barely brings more horsepower to the TV than the WiiU did. For so many other reasons, it is a more logical extension of the mobile power curve and design trend.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I think we're both right.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

IMO, Nintendo took one of the routes that many analysts suggested (something in between mobile and traditional consoles) and ran with it in a way that worked. Comparatively, Sony and Microsoft are pulling more towards the streaming suggestions, Sony somewhat less so.

All I can say is, I'm really happy with the direction of the Switch, and I'm just disappointed that some companies *cough*Capcom*cough* don't seem to want to give 100%. We are getting about 65%, and I want more.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
marurun

Post by marurun »

If you REALLY look at things, the current dedicated console generation consists of highly specialized PCs designed around a very specific set of specifications. The PS4 and the Xbox One are, effectively, Steam Boxes. This will probably continue. Microsoft's lean back toward streaming and the PC makes sense in that context. As long as Microsoft continues to sell a fixed-configuration, low-cost (relatively speaking), mass-manufactured console I think they can keep in the console market and expand the reach of their platform. Sony I don't see going along with that, though many PS4 titles are cross-ported to PC (rather easily, I might add). It doesn't benefit Sony to do that in the same way that crossover-style unification does Microsoft.

Meanwhile, the Switch is basically an ARM tablet with attached controllers. Anything that's been developed for iOS or Android could easily be ported to Switch (but thanks to the controllers, not vice versa). The only exceptions would be titles designed to only run on current-gen flagship devices. Apple and Samsung's latest smoke the Switch, even with the OS overhead. Still, that convergence really makes things easier for developers. It's part of why the Switch eShop has been growing so rapidly. The days of truly unique bespoke hardware are over, unless Sony has something hiding in their back pocket.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

marurun wrote:If you REALLY look at things, the current dedicated console generation consists of highly specialized PCs designed around a very specific set of specifications. The PS4 and the Xbox One are, effectively, Steam Boxes. This will probably continue. Microsoft's lean back toward streaming and the PC makes sense in that context. As long as Microsoft continues to sell a fixed-configuration, low-cost (relatively speaking), mass-manufactured console I think they can keep in the console market and expand the reach of their platform. Sony I don't see going along with that, though many PS4 titles are cross-ported to PC (rather easily, I might add). It doesn't benefit Sony to do that in the same way that crossover-style unification does Microsoft.

Agreed.

Meanwhile, the Switch is basically an ARM tablet with attached controllers. Anything that's been developed for iOS or Android could easily be ported to Switch (but thanks to the controllers, not vice versa). The only exceptions would be titles designed to only run on current-gen flagship devices. Apple and Samsung's latest smoke the Switch, even with the OS overhead. Still, that convergence really makes things easier for developers. It's part of why the Switch eShop has been growing so rapidly. The days of truly unique bespoke hardware are over, unless Sony has something hiding in their back pocket.

I mean, yes. But Nintendo has said they plan to keep supporting the 3DS until it stops making money. So in that sense, it feels like they're treating Switch as the successor console to the Wii U and 3DS is still their dedicated handheld. Then again, all that could change if they do reveal the rumored "Switch Mini."
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

noiseredux wrote:I know the Switch is both, but I tend to think of it as a console that you can take portably rather than a portable you can dock. Mostly, because the Wii U was clearly a console, and the Switch seems like a perfected revision of that.

I don't think that's really the case. While Nintendo did highlight Off-TV Play from the start, a lot of the rationale given for the GamePad was for using it as a second screen. Extra controls, views, stats, whatever. Similar to what they'd been doing in the portable space for years with the DS and 3DS. The Switch, notably, dropped that entirely. So I wouldn't really call it a revision, much less perfected.

What it does seem more like a progression of is Sony's mobile efforts. :lol: The PSP had component out, and the Go even synced to external controllers. They also started doing Remote Play with that and the PS3. They offered Cross-Play, Cross-Save, and Cross-Buy...inconsistently, but it was there. At one point that was part of the advertising for the Vita - be playing a game on PS4, grab Vita and keep going on the go. The Vita did eventually get the PSTV for "console" play.

The other logical heritage for the Switch are microconsoles (I mean, it's almost literally an nVidia Shield). The whole category is basically mobile hardware.

It makes more sense to me to put the Switch on the mobile timeline. The 3DS is fading out faster than anticipated, and there's been nothing else announced. Granted, phones took over most of the space anyway. Still, the Switch is positioned to be the only portable on the market soon enough.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

isiolia wrote:It makes more sense to me to put the Switch on the mobile timeline. The 3DS is fading out faster than anticipated, and there's been nothing else announced. Granted, phones took over most of the space anyway. Still, the Switch is positioned to be the only portable on the market soon enough.

I can't argue with that. Yeah. I think the only new 3DS game w/ a set release date currently is the next Persona Q game. It'll be interesting to see how much longer the 3DS stays on store shelves anyway.