2017 Gaming goals and resolutions

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: 2017 Gaming goals and resolutions

Post by alienjesus »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
alienjesus wrote:3. Buy a Switch and one other new console
I'm thinking Sega Mega CD or SG1000. Maybe Wonderswan though!

Be my SG-1000 homie. Though the Mega CD is very good too.

Unless you collect specific hardware and variants, choose a WonderSwan Color (or SwanCrystal, which is essentially a WSC with a superior screen) over the original WonderSwan. The best games were released for the Color and it's backwards compatible.

The Neo Geo Pocket Color is pretty fun too. 8)

Yup, I meant SwanCrystal when I wrote it! I've always wanted one, but it's been pushed back again and again because it seems hard to find worthwhile games if you can't read any Japanese!

I already have a Neo Geo Pocket Colour ;)

SG1000 is super interesting to me because it's Sega - the games, being 2nd gen...ish (it came out at the same time as Famicom, but looks more like a previous gen machine) are a bit limited for my usual tastes, but man, Sega stuff in psuedo-Intellivision...vision? Super cool.

P.S Is the Mark III compatible with SG1000 games? If not, should I aim for a Mark 2 unit over the original SG1000?
Last edited by alienjesus on Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I need ideas.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Xeogred wrote:I need ideas.

Acquire every Nep-Nep game.
Patron Saint of Bitch Mode
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

lol

I've actually been wondering if I should start to focus on one system's backlog per year now (since I'm getting older and time is weird). Not sure if that would burn me out though, but maybe it'd be awesome and I'd really get things done? I guess the two biggest backlogs I have are the PSX and PS2. Maybe a bit daunting since it's a lot of JRPG's. I won't beat myself up though if I don't finish them. Just need some kind of kick to get started or an idea haha.

I'll probably carry over some 2016 goals. Get through System Shock 1 and a King's Field or Shadow Tower.

My favorite goal I did over the years was last years focus on Castlevania and the non-Metroidvania ones. It'll be hard to top that idea. I can't think of very many other huge 8/16 bit series I haven't touched or that interest me to that level. Hmm...
marurun

Post by marurun »

1. Find a JRPG that will be respectful of my time on a system I have.

2. Hook up ANY of my classic systems. We moved in late March and my JVC 27" CRT is still sitting on the floor disconnected. Trouble is, I need help, because there's just too much to do and too much heavy lifting and this child is just taking everything out of me.

3. Play something classic. Anything. Again with the child : )
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I've been wanting to get an SG-1000. What's the going price these days for the console?

$200-ish I think. You should get a TwinFami first though. 8)

alienjesus wrote:SG1000 is super interesting to me because it's Sega - the games, being 2nd gen...ish (it came out at the same time as Famicom, but looks more like a previous gen machine) are a bit limited for my usual tastes, but man, Sega stuff in psuedo-Intellivision...vision? Super cool.

Yeah, same launch day as Fami, but it feels much more primitive as the system was discontinued quickly. This reference may be lost on a Brit, but the SG-1000 is most comparable to the ColecoVision. In fact, some SG-1000 games have been ported to the CV as homebrew titles.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

marurun wrote:1. Find a JRPG that will be respectful of my time on a system I have.

If you don't have a retron5 you need one for that goal. That or the retrofreak. It's helping me massively with Phantasia. I wouldn't be this far without it...
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

alienjesus wrote:P.S Is the Mark III compatible with SG1000 games? If not, should I aim for a Mark 2 unit over the original SG1000?

Mark III and Japanese Master System are both backward compatible with SG 1000 game cartridges and cards, although the MS doesn't have the SG-1000 series expansion port that allowed for use of a keyboard for using BASIC, etc, software. The SG-1000 and SG-1000 II both require a Sega My Card reader cartridge in order to play the card based SG-1000 games, which are more numerous than the card based games for the Master System. The Mark III has the card reader slot built in.
marurun

Post by marurun »

darsparx wrote:
marurun wrote:1. Find a JRPG that will be respectful of my time on a system I have.

If you don't have a retron5 you need one for that goal. That or the retrofreak. It's helping me massively with Phantasia. I wouldn't be this far without it...

Having save states might help take on a massive RPG like Phantasia, but I don't want to take some of the sting out of a long RPG. I want an RPG that right from the get-go respects that I only have so much time and gives me an experience tailored to that. There's got to be something on Windows or iOS or Android that does that.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

Making a whole new list for 2017.
1. Finish my game gear collection
2. Finish collecting for master system
3. Buy a mini arcade cab for game room
4. Get 2 arcade official sticks for Dreamcast
5. Get the wwf winged eagle belt
6. Pay off credit debt.
I know it's a lot and with my bills backed up but one my mind goes to that level of determination I get what I want.
I should have most of these done by November
Last edited by mas on Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.