PlayStation Now is officially on PC right... now!

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: PlayStation Now is officially on PC right... now!

Post by CRTGAMER »

Exhuminator wrote:
isiolia wrote:Games-as-streaming isn't necessarily bad
I probably sounded like I meant it was, but I don't think it's entirely a negative thing. There are just as many positives as negatives. I just worry about game preservation mainly.

This is a double edged sword. The games are rediscovered on the PC, but then no ownership and just a rental. I look at prices of the PS3 used games with some going for only a few dollars. A tradeoff of owning the game that will play decades later versus the convenience of a "Netflix" access to a game Library that rotates the titles available. Basically if there is a game one really likes to play years later, best to buy the console disc copy as a backup.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

CRTGAMER wrote:Basically if there is a game one really likes to play years later, best to buy the console disc copy as a backup.

This is something I'm already colliding with in the world of mobile. There were some Android games I wanted to get that I bookmarked about a year ago. Some of those are no longer available. They're just gone, poof. And since there's no physical version of them to buy anywhere, I literally have no way to play them now.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

well, CRT the other flipside is people like me that just don't want a bunch of consoles taking up space in closets or cluttering my room. I'm happy having access to something to play RIGHT NOW - I'm just not especially concerned with if I'll be able to play Heavy Rain in 20 years. I imagine that if I do want to, I'll find a way to do so then. And right now I can play these games without having a more than one thing hooked up or having shelves and shelves of console games. Again, I know that I just happen to be the target market for such a service and I don't expect everyone to think like me.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Thanks for the update on the PS Now stuff - sounds intriguing! Keep us posted. That sucks you had to create a new account though...do you have purchases on the PSN that you have lost access to as a result? Can you download or otherwise play those games on PSNow if you have your subscription tied to your existing PSN account?

noiseredux wrote: I'm just not especially concerned with if I'll be able to play Heavy Rain in 20 years. I imagine that if I do want to, I'll find a way to do so then.

This is increasingly becoming my mindset too, though I am not quite where you are yet, noise. With eBay out there, I am extremely confident that I will be able to acquire (or re-acquire) anything I may want to play that only exists in physical form down the road, even if I have to pay more for it (and then, of course, I can sell it when I am done). I won't mind paying $20 to play some "hidden" 360 RPG gem in ten years, even if I could buy that same game today for $2. In either case, I'd probably have no intention of holding on to it, so I could just resell it after finishing it for close to what I purchased it for. I know I mentioned it in another thread, but thinking of eBay as essentially "a rental store for retro games" is a revelation in how I am considering collecting, playing, etc.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

dsheinem wrote:Thanks for the update on the PS Now stuff - sounds intriguing! Keep us posted. That sucks you had to create a new account though...do you have purchases on the PSN that you have lost access to as a result? Can you download or otherwise play those games on PSNow if you have your subscription tied to your existing PSN account?

I have lost access to any PS3 digital games I did own (very few), but that means nothing to me as I don't use my PS3 anyway.

The PSNow service has zero to do with digital games you own on PSN. They are totally unrelated.

I am extremely confident that I will be able to acquire (or re-acquire) anything I may want to play that only exists in physical form down the road, even if I have to pay more for it

This has been my thinking for years now. It's why I have the mindset that I buy again when I'm ready to play it. Whatever that might cost. In the longrun I find that I spend less this way, even if I'm paying more per game. Let's say I buy a game for $60 today and play it for a couple of weeks... that to me is much better than when I'd buy 12 games for $5/each thinking "I might want to play this someday," but then never did.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

CRTGAMER wrote:This is a double edged sword. The games are rediscovered on the PC, but then no ownership and just a rental. I look at prices of the PS3 used games with some going for only a few dollars. A tradeoff of owning the game that will play decades later versus the convenience of a "Netflix" access to a game Library that rotates the titles available. Basically if there is a game one really likes to play years later, best to buy the console disc copy as a backup.

Sure, but the similarity to Netflix is what I think is particularly good about it. One of the major pros to that kind of service is that the barrier of entry is so low. Partly, like noise mentioned, in terms of hardware. I've got a Sony TV, which can use PSNow all by itself (and still has a special zoom for PSP video out, even though it's a more generic name, so that's nice). A PSTV can, their Blu-ray players can, etc. Or, of course, a wide array of computers now.

Additionally though, just like streaming video services, it's very easy for people to give something a shot. Looks half interesting? Hit play and see. Whether it's an established fan exploring new genres or history, or a "non-gamer" that might not yet be willing to plop down $300+ on a console/games/accessories, it's got potential. The need for a controller does limit some of that appeal though.

Personally, I do like collecting some things with the mentality that I'll have it if/when I want it...but I also think that not everything can be put on a shelf. MMO experiences, for instance, are very reliant on playerbase and motivations that can't be easily replicated, even if technically the software is there. Same as playing games in an arcade, or with particular friends. To a point, just have to appreciate things at the time.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

noiseredux wrote:I have lost access to any PS3 digital games I did own (very few), but that means nothing to me as I don't use my PS3 anyway.

FWIW, your PS3 may auto-log you in to your old ID so you may have access still (not that it is imperative or something you want to do).
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

retrosportsgamer wrote:
noiseredux wrote:I have lost access to any PS3 digital games I did own (very few), but that means nothing to me as I don't use my PS3 anyway.

FWIW, your PS3 may auto-log you in to your old ID so you may have access still (not that it is imperative or something you want to do).

I'm pretty sure I formatted the HDD and removed all accts from it a while back as I was packing up my console collection to sell.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

the past three days I've had issues with the service. Basically you choose a game, it loads up... to a black screen. You can still hear the game audio running, and you can still bring up the XMB. It's as if the game is indeed running but you're not getting the video signal.

I've tried Googling a fix, but all I can find is more than a few folks reporting this on the PlayStation Now official forum. No fix has been revealed, and no word from Sony acknowledging that they're working on it. So I have no idea.

I was really hoping to play 3rd Strike this month, but until I have some clue that the service is actually working, I'm not going to pay for it. :roll:

EDIT: On the plus side, I have restored my original noiseredux acct, so I can get rid of this new acct.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

So wait a few months till all the kinks are worked out, got it.