What is the best Tetris?

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Re: What is the best Tetris?

Post by flojocabron »

For solo playing the NES and GB versions are the best

I have fond memories of playing Tetris Plus on PS1.

With my brother and sister on a cold Sunday morning covered in blankets and trying to figure out how not to let the professor die.

Taking turns and giving tips to each other. And teasing and goofing off when we messed up.

good times.

I hate the EA tetrises. They lost their charm.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
SonicGamer74
24-bit

Post by SonicGamer74 »

J T wrote:
SonicGamer74 wrote:This is a tricky one.

On one hand; I absolutely love the original Game Boy release, because of it's soundtrack, and the addictiveness of it.

On the other hand, though (and this is going to be one of those, "I'm probably the only one that thinks this" opinions), I absolutely love the challenge in Tetris Plus for the Saturn/PS1. It makes you think more, compared to the other games. And it even comes with the original, if you're not a fan, for any reason. So you're really paying $5-$15 (depending on the system) for 2 games, instead of 1.

The NES version is also pretty solid as well. Kinda sucks that they removed the soundtrack, though.

Tetris Worlds for Gamecube/PS2/Xbox is a meh one. It's fun, but...It feels different, compared to the others.

Tetris Party Deluxe for Wii is awesome, though. I'm surprised no one mentioned it yet. It has a lot of cool extra modes you won't be able to find in any other Tetris game. :D

Great post! I was recently looking over used copies of Tetris Plus and Tetris Worlds, which is what prompted this thread. I was hoping someone would have something to say about the two of them.

Well, that's great. :D Just an fyi, if you choose Tetris Plus; there's not much of a difference between the Saturn/PS1 release. The only differences are the load times (IIRC, I think the Saturn version loads faster, but I could be wrong), and you can obviously play Tetris Plus PS1 on a PS2/PS3.

Also, I think the Saturn release is one of the least expensive titles on the system, because I go on eBay and see disc-only for about $8, and CIB for around $15-$18. PS1 is cheaper, though.
This user really likes SEGA Saturn. Avoid at all costs.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Tetris Battle Gaiden is my favorite offshoot Tetris. Vs Tetris with powerups is a constant source of anger in my house.
Duane Dibbley
128-bit

Post by Duane Dibbley »

SonicGamer74 wrote:Tetris Party Deluxe for Wii is awesome, though. I'm surprised no one mentioned it yet. It has a lot of cool extra modes you won't be able to find in any other Tetris game. :D

I have the original Tetris Party for WiiWare. The four player is nice, but I haven't really delved into all the other modes. Something about the graphics and sound just seem blah to me.
My games for sale: Racketboy, Amazon, eBay
My systems: NES, Nintendo 64, GameCube (Game Boy Player), Wii / Game & Watch: Ball, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP (x2), Nintendo DSi / Genesis (Sega CD, 32X), Saturn / Game Gear / PlayStation, PlayStation 2 / Xbox / Mac (Windows PC) / iPhone, iPad
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

These are my favs.

Nes- Best version imo, music, controls, addictive, classic. Everyone and their mother literally has played this or heard of it. Also as a segment on the holy grail NWC 1990 cart!

GB- let's face it the Gameboy is awesome.

Tetris Plus PS1- Something a little more modern. Like the editing mode, Vs mode and other little additions. Had a best out of 10 match or something like that with the wife 2-3 years ago (gosh I hope it's not longer). But anyways loser had to give the winner a massage, and guess who's yet to give the massage and tries to avoid the subject and yet to live it down... Oh idk, *chuckle*
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

No love for Tetris 2?! Just saying -- vs mode on SNES is a blast.

Also, The Grandmaster only because it rubs your face in its difficulty and you enjoy it every time.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

Tetris DX (GBC), Tetris (PSP Minis) & Tetris Ultimate (3DS) would be my top three, and I have played almost every version of Tetris there is, being one of my favourite games of all time. I like the mode variety in the PSP Mini & 3DS versions the best when I'm looking for a good variation on the game. The mode in Tetris Ultimate where once you put the piece down, everything disappears is badass. The mode in Tetris (PSP Minis) where the board shifts to the left every time a piece goes down is also badass. The controls in each of those three versions are sublime. There's no screwing up for any reason other than being a crappy player. I could take or leave the music in all three though, but probably enjoy the electronica inspired tunes of the PSP Minis version the most. I actually wish it had more tracks.

There seems to be a lot of pushback against the different modes so far in this thread, but I love them -- they really help you to up your game in vanilla Tetris by forcing you to look at the board differently and use your brain for creative piece arrangements.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

flojocabron wrote:With my brother and sister on a cold Sunday morning covered in blankets and trying to figure out how not to let the professor die.

Let's face it, the professor WANTS to die.

I completed the game on Saturn some years back (I'd like to have a Tetris on every system). Had a lot of fun actually, but I'm not sure I feel the need to replay it. Maybe on Game Boy some time. that had a Tetris Plus release too.

So, I've mostly played the Game Boy version, Game Boy Color, NES, Tetris Plus, and...

Otherwise, the only other Tetris that I spent serious time with is The New Tetris (N64). That game ate away an entire week for me once. I liked that it added extra scoring opportunities by making large square blocks before you eliminate them... or something like that.
Also liked the music I think.
At the time, it was my favorite.
...just another lost soul...
SonicGamer74
24-bit

Post by SonicGamer74 »

nightrnr wrote:Let's face it, the professor WANTS to die.

I thought this was common knowledge, between Tetris Plus players. :lol:
This user really likes SEGA Saturn. Avoid at all costs.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

I really like Tetrisphere on the N64. I don't know that I really think it's any better than original Tetris, but I play it the most and want to give it some recognition. The soundtrack is fantastic. I find the game strangely relaxing, though it does get tense and frantic as well. In fact, it's that back and forth between relaxation and tension that gives it such a unique feel. There's a dreamy quality to it, partly because it feels like a physical space, but not like anything in the real world. That and the slow zoom towards the sphere and the ambient music and chiming sound effects. It's really an under-appreciated game.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry