POLL: Bootlegs / Reproductions: What is allowed

Post Your Goods (and possibly trade wishlists) here

How should the new Marketplace rule on boots / repros / multicarts read?

Poll ended at Sun May 18, 2014 12:32 pm

There is no problem - everything is fair game
9%
There is no problem as long as anything not original is clearly labeled by the seller
67%
No repros of games if available in US, JP, PAL despite price or translation
No votes
No repros of games if available in US, JP, PAL despite price or translation - no multicarts either
2%
No repros of games if available in US, JP, PAL despite price only (text heavy translations and multicarts ok)
22%

Total votes: 54

oxymoron
Next-Gen

Re: POLL: Bootlegs / Reproductions: What is allowed

Post by oxymoron »

I picked 2. As long as it's clearly specified as a bootleg or repro I don't think there is anything wrong with selling them.

@AppleQueso

I see where you're coming from but I think it's also the gamers responsibility to learn to differ real games from fakes.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

mjmjr25 wrote: I also want to know that it's people actively dealing in our BST (and thus exposed to and invested in the concern) to be the folks swaying this debate.

One suggestion: if this poll proves inconclusive, you could run a poll via PM to the top 25/50 BST members (in terms of feedback).
Onyxthecat
Next-Gen

Post by Onyxthecat »

I'll chime in since I am currently selling repro and multicart games. I chose 2 because I have had almost no issues with my games and if someone complains, I give a swift refund. So far no - feedback here or on ebay. I say my games aren't real. If someone is unsure still, they can ask a question and get a quick and honest reply. There are a few people I know who actually make requests for games every so often and have all been satisfied. They are the people who play and collect games but $150 for a single cart is just not financially viable. Could the games be passed on in the future as a reproduction, I'm sure of it, but the person spending $150+ on a game would probably have the knowhow determining a fake game from a real one.

Btw, for my personal collection, I took the time to make stickers, case art and put the game in a real Genesis case and shell. The case art was purposely altered so that even if the games were sold and you are unsuspecting, you would know someone made it. :o
aaron
Next-Gen

Post by aaron »

yeah i voted for #2 mainly because i saw onyx's stuff for sale. i don't see anything wrong with that. plus no one is bootlegging saturn games, so i don't have a dog in this fight :)
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

I would also like to point out that there are reproductions out there of games that did release in the US but fix issues that were present in the originals, Like Final Fantasy 2 has a re-translation since the version we got was censored and poorly translated. Others change game balance, like Streets of Rage 3 and Contra Hard Corps was for some unknown reason made impossibly hard when brought to the US so there are patches out there that bring the game back down to the JP difficulty with english text, SOR 3 was also re-translated and uncensored.

Should they be allowed if openly stated? Yes I know there are everdrives out there now that you could play them on but some people prefer to have a dedicated cart.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Wait....when we say the seller "puts a label" we obviously mean writing on the forum thread "this game is a repro" right? I wouldn't want for someone to right with marker on my cartridge, only cause it would look stupid
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

aaron wrote:yeah i voted for #2 mainly because i saw onyx's stuff for sale. i don't see anything wrong with that. plus no one is bootlegging saturn games, so i don't have a dog in this fight :)

I wish they did/could bootleg Saturn games, it would bring down the price a little bit. People wouldn't be so quick to pay $300+ for Panzer Dragoon Saga if they could buy some $20 reproduction. Big component with Saturn prices is aside from emulation (which isn't quite 100% perfect yet AFAIK) your only option to play the games is to buy the disks or mod your system (and modchips now days are scarce) there are no options to download on PSN or Virtual Console and no multicarts/bootlegs like there are for cartridge based systems.

This may seem taboo but I actually think that reproductions and bootlegs are good for retro gaming as they bring down the price, means more options for people who wish to play games on original hardware in turn lowering the prices that people are willing to pay for an original cart. You just to be careful and know how to spot the differences, and confirm with people your buying from that you are getting the real deal.
aaron
Next-Gen

Post by aaron »

ninjainspandex wrote:
aaron wrote:yeah i voted for #2 mainly because i saw onyx's stuff for sale. i don't see anything wrong with that. plus no one is bootlegging saturn games, so i don't have a dog in this fight :)

I wish they did/could bootleg Saturn games, it would bring down the price a little bit. People wouldn't be so quick to pay $300+ for Panzer Dragoon Saga if they could buy some $20 reproduction. Big component with Saturn prices is aside from emulation (which isn't quite 100% perfect yet AFAIK) your only option to play the games is to buy the disks or mod your system (and modchips now days are scarce) there are no options to download on PSN or Virtual Console and no multicarts/bootlegs like there are for cartridge based systems.

This may seem taboo but I actually think that reproductions and bootlegs are good for retro gaming as they bring down the price, means more options for people who wish to play games on original hardware in turn lowering the prices that people are willing to pay for an original cart. You just to be careful and know how to spot the differences, and confirm with people your buying from that you are getting the real deal.

yeah, it's hard to bootleg saturn games because, besides the scene being incredibly small to begin with, no one has managed to fully crack the security ring yet afaik.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
Aramonde
128-bit

Post by Aramonde »

I voted #2 but i agree with Dave.

@Onyx - I went to your thread and O.O i wish i had a job!!!! i would buy MUSHA and Crusader of Centy in a heartbeat!
Onyxthecat
Next-Gen

Post by Onyxthecat »

Aramonde wrote:I voted #2 but i agree with Dave.

@Onyx - I went to your thread and O.O i wish i had a job!!!! i would buy MUSHA and Crusader of Centy in a heartbeat!

I'm also looking for work, Industrial Design is not an easy degree to find the dream job :evil: Bt thanks for that :o