Best N64 Wrestling game?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Razzmatazz
64-bit

Re: Best N64 Wrestling game?

Post by Razzmatazz »

Agree with 2000 being the height of the Attitude Era, particularly here in the UK. It was everywhere, The Rock was practically a household name (proven by his song with Wyclef and appearance in the Mummy 2 film), PPVs were shown on Channel 4 (a FREE TV channel) and everybody at school watched it. I'm unsure when the Attitude Era ended exactly (late 2001?) but No Mercy did benefit from having so many Main Eventers such as Foley, Angle, HHH, Stone Cold, Rock, Undertaker, Kane, Jericho etc. Although The Rock had a head like a potato smothered in gravy.
Currently playing Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Check out my album reviews at the home of rap reviews, http://www.rapreviews.com (NEW SITE COMING 2015)
deadlysword
8-bit

Post by deadlysword »

I'd say the attitude era ended when Stone Cold and Rock faded away from active competition, the former due to injury and the latter to pursue hollywood. DX was a big part of that as well, till the group more or less dispersed when triple h went solo with his 'the game' gimmick. Plus the whole monday night wars thing with wcw, my remote was constantly flipping between the two shows. I remember when Tony Schivoinne( spelling?) spoiled that mankind was going to win the title that night, pointing out that raw was prerecorded while nitro was showing live.....lol brutal competition and good times all around. Wrestling just hasnt been the same since, and the current roster of stars imho dont hold a candle to the attitude era main eventers.
Balasubbie
128-bit

Post by Balasubbie »

TheSegaSaturnGuy wrote:
Reprise wrote:Haha I tried so hard to like Warzone and Attitude. I can't believe I tricked myself into thinking they were good games. Absolute piss, the both of them. I really do not understand how those games got good reviews.

Haha, Warzone just feels very incomplete, not only in the ring but the character creator as well. I could never creator a character and feel complete.

The Average Warzone/Attitude/ECW/Akklaim experience.

'I'll try a suplex'

Pause. Moves List. Suplex: R, R, A, Down and B*.

'Fuck that'.

*I just barely exaggerate.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Revenge is my favorite, and has been since it came out. But Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 is a close second. It is pretty much Wrestlemania, for Japanese wrestling fans. It create a wrestler function was the best I had seen until Fire Pro Returns came out.

Sadly I have not played any Wrestling games in many years. Not even Fire Pro D.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Best wrestling games PERIOD!
G-Darius
32-bit

Post by G-Darius »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I have all three of the Aki/THQ wrestling games, They are all fun, and since, According to videogamepricecharts, you can get all three of them for about $15, I see no reason not to own all of them.

I agree with this,the N64 has the best wrestling games I have seen and you cannot really go wrong with any of them.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

An important note about No Mercy.

The game was released with a glitch that randomly erases the saved data on the cart. This is unfixable and will lead to the deletion of all your CAWS and unlocked save data.

Despite knowing about the problem in the NTSC territory THQ went on to release the same glitching game in PAL territories!

The games were eventually recalled and replaced with a fixed version but....

The fixed PAL version was CENSORED and had as a slap in the face to all the fans who had waited patiently for a replacement THQ bizarrely removed all blood from this version, making the "First blood" and other key missions a complete joke.

It's important therefore that either NTSC or PAL purchasers think heavily about whether or not to buy this game as it may be preferable to seek out the emulated fixed NTSC version: essentially the only perfect version of the game.

Side note: PAL Wrestlemania 2000 is also censored, but its done so crudely (by disabling the option for bloodshed in the menu) that a Gameshark/Action Replay code can easily reenable it and it can be permanently set to "on".

Side note 2: If you buy any of these games, get a gameshark/action replay cart. They are superbly moddable!
DK1105

Post by DK1105 »

My personal favorite is Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 but I am a huge Japanese wrestling fan. No Mercy is that go to game if your looking for a 64 wrestling game but any of the AKI games are good.

The non AKI US wrestling games aren't that great.

If your willing import the New Japan Toukon Road games aren't bad. For what ever reason I have never been able to get them to play on an emulator so you can't really just try them out before you buy.

I am really close to owning every wrestling game that came out on the N64.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

One thing that WM2000 hs in it's favour is the option to create and fight and defend custom named belts.

A simple feature that adds so much if you're going to be playing the game in multiplayer.

No Mercy has much more American gimmicks to it: Ladder matches, breakable tables, backstage areas etc. The story mode follows the stories of the time period closely wheras WM2000 just has a more regular campaign with occasional story elements like a partner turning on you.

Going back to the gameshark, it's also possible to use it to unlock a bonus story mode that was designed for a GBA link up that never happened. These games all have an absolute ton of abandoned stuff left behind in the code that can be pulled up with the gameshark if you look online.

Alot of the textures from the WCW games have been left in the games memory
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Betagam7 wrote:it may be preferable to seek out the emulated fixed NTSC version: essentially the only perfect version of the game.

Not completely true. I own a PAL copy that does not have the save glitch AND is completely uncensored, with blood intact. There are very few of them about though. I guess I'm lucky.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328