Games Beaten 2014

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2014

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Luke wrote:Streets of Rage Sega CD
Golden Axe Sega CD

How about Revenge of Shinobi and Columns? 8)
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
Luke wrote:Streets of Rage Sega CD
Golden Axe Sega CD

How about Revenge of Shinobi and Columns? 8)

Revenge for sure...Columns...I don't think I beat that (or I did and didn't realize a loop...or something else. I know I "beat" Tetris and Dr.Mario last year".
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)

I just beat New Super Mario Bros. 2. But I'm far from finished with it. I still have to unlock the hidden worlds. But I did defeat Bowser.

Great Mario game. I've heard a lot people say it just feels like more of the same. I don't agree. The coin focus really adds a whole new layer to the gameplay and adds a TON of replayability (as if Mario games already didn't have enough). Great classic 2D gameplay, but it looks gorgeous with the 3DS XL screen and the 3D graphics turned on. It was a ton of fun that I just couldn't put down, and I plan on going back for more.

If you have a 3DS, you MUST own this game.

Now I'm going on to conquer "The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds" for 3DS. So far, it's one of the best Zelda games I've played in years. It's good to be a 3DS owner.
Last edited by BurningDoom on Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

1. Mortal Kombat II - 32X
2. Cosmic Carnage - 32X

Both for Sega-16, part of the community beat 'em all challenge for the Genesis/CD/32X.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

1. Back to the Future: The Game - Episode 1: It's About Time - PC

Total for 2014: 1

Back to the Future: The Game - Episode 1: It's About Time - PC

I love that they went with an original storyline for this, it would have been too easy to just rehash the films story. The story in the first chapter is pretty average, outside of the final 10 minutes or so when it really starts to pick up. The game feels like a big introduction and I guess to some extent it is.

The controls are the only thing that really annoy me, too often you end up out of control as the static scenes change but you still walk in the direction you were holding in the past scene, too often you have to let go of the movement keys all together to regain control. Why they could not have just had a mouse movement system I am not sure, but that is my only issue with the way the game plays.

It took me a lot longer to finish then than it should have, I got stuck for quite a long time on a puzzle that requires a cut scene, the problem was that the cut scene never played, I never knew this so I wasted quite a lot of time wondering around, it was bizarre to me as the game up to that point had been pretty easy but this had me stumped. I stopped playing the game over a year ago because of this, thinking I was stuck and never got back to it.

I restarted a couple of days ago and started fresh because I could not remember the story, I flew through the game to the end in a hour and a half sitting, no real issues. After finishing the episode I looked up the issue I had and it seemed common as
many people on the games forums seemed to have issues triggering it, there are a few work around but as I don't read FAQs/Walkthroughs for Adventure games, I missed out on it. At least I am getting into it now, shame that it took so long because of a bug.

Last thing I will say is that the voice acting is great! Christopher Lloyd coming back as Doc Brown is awesome! While Micheal J Fox does not return, the voice actor in his place does a really great job and does not take away from the game in anyway.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

I liked the Back to the Future game. I thought the story really lagged in the 3rd episode, so power through that.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Akumajou Dracula/Super Castlevania - (Super Famicom)

Oh my god; no— Not even. There's no way. This can not be a Castelvania game. Please tell me it's a lie. I refuse to believe.

Easily the weakest entry in the classic series that I've played. It makes me angry that it's such a far cry from the brilliance of Rondo of Blood, Bloodlines, or even the first NES game. I'm very sad that this didn't even approach the quality that I expect after playing those three games. To actually state my grievances: The stage design is uninteresting/unmemorable, bosses are both horribly conceived and piss easy, the visuals are often muddy and somewhat lacking in variety, standard enemies pose almost no threat aside from the occasional cheap placement, directional whip controls are ill-conceived, crippling slowdown in relatively innocuous situations with timing jumps. I don't especially care for the music, either; It's interesting, but not very dynamic, and feels fairly placid throughout. (That's putting aside my usual disinterest in the SNES sound chip.) I legitimately hated the remix of Bloody Tears, though. (Vampire Killer wasn't bad.)

I can very much understand why the whip was never really used the same way again; It's not really conducive to the impeccable level design of something like a Rondo of Blood. I think they really nailed the control in Rondo. If I had been able to jump from staircases in Super CV IV, my opinion of it might be substantially different, as well..

I had a decent time playing through the game. It was a pretty good game on its own, but I was really expecting something that could even begin to rival the other classic games I'd played, and it sadly did not. The library was about the most memorable part of the game for me, and probably only because I liked the theming, and the floating book platforms. I thought the swinging chandeliers, rotating room, and cylindrical hallway effects were really cheesy, and underwhelming. There was some nice parallax scrolling at times, but ultimately, I'd probably rather play through Order of Eclesia again (which was my least favorite Castlevania before playing Super CV IV) over this one.

At least there's still Akumajou Densetsu, the Sharp X68000 Akumajou, and Rebirth out there for classic -Vanias for me to play through.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

I am interested in your opinion on Castlevania 3. I'm kinda scared to start it, not sure if it's hard or not.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Violent By Design wrote:I am interested in your opinion on Castlevania 3. I'm kinda scared to start it, not sure if it's hard or not.

I've only played the first few stages of the Famicom version of 3 via emulation. The music is outstanding, but I get the feeling that the first Castelvania would probably end up my preferred game between the two. The first one is a classic, and while I haven't played as all of the extra characters in CV III, I feel like it could dilute the experience to some extent. At some point I'll figure that out for certain, but 3 kind of intimidates me, to be honest. Everything I've heard about the falling block area makes me not look forward to getting that far in the game. I think the Famicom version allows for unlimited continues, though—maybe?
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Wow. Super Castlevania IV is one my favorite games for the snes.