castlevania symphony of the night questions.

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Croooow!
128-bit

Re: castlevania symphony of the night questions.

Post by Croooow! »

How is the PSone Classics version for PSP/PS3? I have the game on PS1 but was thinking about playing through it again on the PSP. Are the load time significantly better than the PS1 version?
"There are two ways to get enough. One way is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less." G.K. Chesterton

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Croooow! wrote:How is the PSone Classics version for PSP/PS3? I have the game on PS1 but was thinking about playing through it again on the PSP. Are the load time significantly better than the PS1 version?

isn't the PSOne version just an emulation? If you have the PS1 version, you can rip it to your computer and then play it on yr PSP if it's modded. (Or if you wait for TN HEN-D to be released, it won't even need to be modded).

Alternately, a vresion of SOTN is on the PSP Dracula X Chronicles, along with Rondo Of Blood.
avrame
128-bit

Post by avrame »

noiseredux wrote:Alternately, a vresion of SOTN is on the PSP Dracula X Chronicles, along with Rondo Of Blood.

My fave version to be honest. Portable, complete, has all the character, and as a bonus, includes a 3D remake of Dracula X on the same UMD :lol:

But in all seriousness, if you plan to buy it from the PSN, might as well buy Dracula X Chronicles if you have a PSP to play it on.
If you aren't having a good time, why are you playing?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

yeah I picked up the PSP collection recently.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

Definitely pick up Dracula X Chronicles. SOTN, Rondo of Blood, a 2.5D remake of Rondo of Blood (complete with an excellent rearranged soundtrack), plus a handful of collectibles and extras all in one place. You can pick it up for very cheap too.
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

harlequ1n wrote:I believe I've beaten the PSOne version... the PSP port... and the XBLA port...

Is there a difference? I thought the PSP and XBLA just used the PS1 version.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I haven't read up on which version Xbox Live has since I don't own a 360, but the PSP version is definitely different from the PS1 version. The script was redone and with new voice overs, which match the voices in that version of Rondo of Blood. I think there's also the extra familiar and maybe some other extra items and other minor differences, I can't remember.
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

Symphony of the Night is my favourite game in the whole world. /disclaimer

The version on 360 is an exact port of the PS1 version, minus the ability to glitch out and obtain percentages beyond 200.6% (The official completion percentage with no glitching.) Also minus the FMV sequences. (The FMV has been patched into the Japanese XBLA version, but not the other versions.) It also has leaderboards based on how fast you complete the game in proper sequence, and the usual 12 achievements for XBLA titles.

The Saturn version includes Maria as a fully playable character (and boss). Maria, Richter and Alucard are all able to be chosen from the start, no codes required. Alucard has a third hand to store food medicine, and his ability to swim while in wolf form has been removed. There are also some new items specifically for him. There are two new areas in the Saturn version (that exist in no other version), The Cursed Prison and The Underground Garden. This version of the game is generally regarded as a poor port, as the game did not take advantage of the Saturn's higher resolution (aka the sprites are stretched), and because the Saturn lacks the transparency features of the PS1, certain effects (notably the waterfall) are dithered instead. There is also a lot of unfortunate slowdown.

The PSP version contains Maria as a playable character and boss, but with a new sprite, new abilities (she can dash, drop kick and super jump) and a different gameplay style than the Saturn version. Some sound effects are different, the ending credits uses a different song, and the script is somewhat re-done with new voice acting, but has not actually been re-translated. (i.e. they worked from the English script, not the original Japanese script.) The prologue is narrated (this is the first version of the game to have done that), and there are various changes to item names and the bestiary. The two familiars from the Japanese PS1 release that were cut from the North American release return.

If I was to recommend the game to anyone, I'd recommend the PS1 version followed by the Saturn version. The PSP version is just a mixed up pile of things jumbled together and quite frankly sucks in comparison to the other versions.
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

Yes, it is also my favourite game. I have beaten the PS1 version, in both English and Japanese, numerous times. Strangely, I have never bothered with the Saturn version. I have it downloaded from PSN, so it works on my PS3 and PSP. I really don't need the PSP UMD disc (hoping Rondo of Blood comes out on the PSN soon!).
avrame
128-bit

Post by avrame »

You know what I don't understand? Why PSP games can't be played on the PS3. It certainly is powerful enough, and has extra buttons to boot. Playing Valkyria Chronicles 2 on a 52' TV = 'epic win' by my book.
If you aren't having a good time, why are you playing?