History of Copy Protection - Action Replay replaced by DLC

Discussion of scanning, archiving, and printing things such as magazines, manuals, video captures, and game covers
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: History of Copy Protection and the DRM Future of Gaming

Post by CRTGAMER »

AppleQueso wrote:As Modman here has already pointed out, sure they technically could do this, but they'd get their asses sued off because it's illegal for them to do so.

Besides that, history has shown several times already that when DRM gets out of hand, consumers respond, either with litigation or with their wallets. You don't have to look far to find examples.

I don't like DRM either, but it's important to remember that companies need to protect their assets, regardless of how futile their efforts seem. This is especially important during a time when free entertainment is readily available for anybody who simply doesn't want to pay for it.

Agree, just pointing out the potential of what might happen, a concern for any consumer.

Didn't learn from the past though, look at DRM Sony BMG CD music years ago.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_CD_copy_protection_scandal
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

I was actually thinking of the Sony rootkit fiasco when I made the comment about what happens when DRM gets out of hand.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

AppleQueso wrote:I was actually thinking of the Sony rootkit fiasco when I made the comment about what happens when DRM gets out of hand.
Thanks for the reminder about the rootkit, had a small entry in the front page "History" section. I just updated the OP clarifying the malware security hole. I also included the Kindle article, a historical first of the DRM control approach.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

CRTGAMER wrote:The Amazon Kindle, this happened in 2009.
Ironic the book 1984 by George Orwell got deleted. "Big Brother Watching."
http://www.ddmcd.com/managing-technology/amazon-kindle-orwell-deletion-may-be-legal-but-its-still-dou.html

Amazon Kindle Orwell Deletion May Be Legal -- But It's Still Doubleplusungood
Saturday, July 18, 2009 at 02:58PM
By Dennis D. McDonald, Ph.D.

I know I know — the Orwell titles deleted from customer Kindles by Amazon were unauthorized copies. I’m still concerned. Why? Because it demonstrates how this technology can be applied and managed remotely without the owner’s involvement. Next time it will be a title embroiled in some kind of legal dispute, or a government agency will beg that a title be deleted for national security reasons.

Given what just happened I don’t see how you can say such scenarios are impossible.

Which disappoints me, since I want a Kindle, and I maintain a lot of my own personal data online “in the cloud.” I have to think about this more, now.

Be that as it may, one of the purposes of Digital Rights Management (DRM) technology is to allow just such a scenario — post sale control of licensed media. We just saw that DRM does in fact work as advertised.

This reminds me of arguments that swirled around the old “DIVX DVD” technology that Circuit City lost so much money on so many years ago; DIVX DVD playback could be deactivated remotely for non-payment, but Circuit City could never convince folks that mistaken de-activation was impossible.

I’ll still buy stuff from Amazon. The service is good. Hopefully, though, they won’t get their hands on eMusic.[/url]

2011 - watch out DRM gamers.
Any bets I'm wrong?

To quote my own post immediately above that post of yours I'm quoting.

Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:Violating someone's privacy and removing the data from the console itself is illegal. You yourself cited the Amazon kindle case from a while back, they were involved in a huge class action lawsuit that they LOST because of it. Afterwords they had to either return the book to those who wanted it back, or issue a full refund to the ones that just didn't care about it anymore.

Also, AppleQueso nailed it in his post on the last page.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Got a better pic of the latest Sony game license agreement concerning anytime online cancellation. The older games at least had a 90 day window. Expected sales so great, assumes consumer no longer cares and will buy the game anyways? I moved the pic to the OP along with info history about the Amazon Kindle precedence.

When I snapped that pic a Costco employee gave me an evil stare down, though I was a competitor spying. :lol:

Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

You know what CRT, I'm honestly sick of this crap.

While I can agree with you at times and see your point of view this is honestly getting annoying. Your ranting and delusional behavior at times seems straight out of the mind of a paranoid delusional and a conspiracy theorist. Your sources are half assed, you don't follow up on the leads you link to and you take everything at face value.

Every single link you've posted is the initial occurrence of some mistake or dumb action by a person or company, and you never mention the repercussions and scorn they faced by the public and media at large because of it.

Why don't you truly research your sources and your claims before you spout all this "1984, Everyone's out to get me" nonsense and stop acting like you're five. Companies have a right to protect their property, and you have a right to own the license on your end that you purchase. Whether it be a disc or a download.

Yes mistakes have happened along the way, but that's part of the transitional process. It's always been that way. If you simply can't accept change or the existence of an alternative to what you have grown accustom or familiar to then you need to reconsider your hobby. Eventually a good 80-90% of everything media related is going to be this way and the best protection you'll have is to simply learn your rights as a consumer and use them to your advantage instead of complaining.

In the end it's honestly your opinion as this is mine, I'm not meaning this to say for you not to voice it. Just to tone it the heck down as we all know already.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

"Tone it down because we already know?" New visitors here everyday.
If there is personal offense to anyone from writings of this thread then apologies.

I wrote the OP to point out the History and where Copy Protection is going. The idea is to cause discussion, and mainly awareness of what is happening in the industry. Its the reason why I feel strongly about the last statement in the OP. Fully agree that companies own the product and can dictate what to do with it. Doesn't mean that a consumer has to stand silent though.

Too important of a subject to drop, in light of todays games are Retro games for future collectors.
I removed the large "yelling font" in the OP.

GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

CRTGAMER wrote:Got a better pic of the latest Sony game license agreement concerning anytime online cancellation. The older games at least had a 90 day window. Expected sales so great, assumes consumer no longer cares and will buy the game anyways? I moved the pic to the OP along with info history about the Amazon Kindle precedence.

When I snapped that pic a Costco employee gave me an evil stare down, though I was a competitor spying. :lol:

...What's the problem? It's not like PC Gaming where you have dedicated servers or sites like File Planet. Anything that's Online is through the console's company. That's like freaking out over XBL for oXboxes being cut off.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:You know what CRT, I'm honestly sick of this crap.

While I can agree with you at times and see your point of view this is honestly getting annoying. Your ranting and delusional behavior at times seems straight out of the mind of a paranoid delusional and a conspiracy theorist. Your sources are half assed, you don't follow up on the leads you link to and you take everything at face value.

Every single link you've posted is the initial occurrence of some mistake or dumb action by a person or company, and you never mention the repercussions and scorn they faced by the public and media at large because of it.

Why don't you truly research your sources and your claims before you spout all this "1984, Everyone's out to get me" nonsense and stop acting like you're five. Companies have a right to protect their property, and you have a right to own the license on your end that you purchase. Whether it be a disc or a download.

Yes mistakes have happened along the way, but that's part of the transitional process. It's always been that way. If you simply can't accept change or the existence of an alternative to what you have grown accustom or familiar to then you need to reconsider your hobby. Eventually a good 80-90% of everything media related is going to be this way and the best protection you'll have is to simply learn your rights as a consumer and use them to your advantage instead of complaining.

In the end it's honestly your opinion as this is mine, I'm not meaning this to say for you not to voice it. Just to tone it the heck down as we all know already.

:shock: Don't you think that's just a bit harsh?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

jfe2 wrote:
Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:You know what CRT, I'm honestly sick of this crap.

:shock: Don't you think that's just a bit harsh?

I agree with Mod Man. Pandora's Box has been opened, and the old days of the SNES carts are gone. The nature of digital content really screws with the standard assumptions of ownership, plain and simple.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.