Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Yeah greendog is pretty mediocre. One correction, though. The reason why he dies in water is because of the curse brought on by the medallion, which is why it is so important he find the pieces.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:The reason why he dies in water is because of the curse brought on by the medallion, which is why it is so important he find the pieces.

There's an entire level where Greendog is underwater the whole time and it doesn't hurt him:

But in later levels if Greendog so much as puts his foot in water he dies instantly.

So the developers forgot their own plot during that underwater level. :roll:

This game is terribad.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

But the underwater level has him with a snorkel and a water supply. He doesn't swim in those levels. The whole point is he wants to surf and can't. Is it dumb? Absolutely, but the context is there.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:But the underwater level has him with a snorkel and a water supply. He doesn't swim in those levels. The whole point is he wants to surf and can't. Is it dumb? Absolutely, but the context is there.

:lol:

Let's take a step back and realize we're on the verge of having a nerd fight about Greendog. Fucking Greendog!

Totally not worth it.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Exhuminator wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:But the underwater level has him with a snorkel and a water supply. He doesn't swim in those levels. The whole point is he wants to surf and can't. Is it dumb? Absolutely, but the context is there.

:lol:

Let's take a step back and realize we're on the verge of having a nerd fight about Greendog. Fucking Greendog!

Totally not worth it.

Totally not worth it...hahahahaha.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

33. Submarine Attack | Master System | shmup | 1990 | 23m | 5/10

ImageImageImageImage

In 1990 SEGA developed and published Submarine Attack for the European and Brazil markets. (For whatever reason, it was not published in USA or Japan.) Submarine Attack is a basic shmup set underwater, in which you do attack things with a submarine. You've got a straight shot and an upward arc shot. Overall this game is very easy. Levels are uncomplicated, enemies and their projectiles are slow, and bosses are simple. The graphics are colorful and decent for their time, but the music's generally terrible. Controls are dirt simple, but a lack of any real power-ups hurts the experience. This would probably make a good shmup for someone new to the genre looking for an easy beat. The aquatic setting does add some fair, so if you enjoy shmups like "Sqoon" or "In the Hunt" you might enjoy this. But outside the oceanic theme Submarine Attack deep-sixes any attempt at notable ambition.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

January:
1) The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (PC) (8.5) (1/1) (~5.5 hours)
2) ActRaiser (SNES) (8.0) (1/2) (~4 hours)
3) Bonk's Revenge (GB) (6.0) (1/3) (~1 hour)
4) Tiny Toon Adventures: Babs' Big Break (GB) (6.5) (1/3) (~1 hour)
5) Blackwell Legacy (PC) (7.0) (1/5) (2.6 hours)
6) Blackwell Unbound (PC) (7.5) (1/7) (2.2 hours)
7) Blackwell Convergence (PC) (8.0) (1/7) (2.4 hours)
8) Blackwell Deception (PC) (8.0) (1/8) (4.7 hours)
9) Blackwell Epiphany (PC) (9.0) (1/9) (6.5 hours)
10) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4) (8.0) (1/22) (~55 hours)
11) Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (360) (8.0) (1/28) (~.5 hours)
12) Deep Duck Trouble Starring Donald Duck (SMS) (6.5) (1/31) (~1 hour)

February:
13) Quackshot Starring Donald Duck (GEN) (7.5) (2/7) (~2 hours)
14) Fire Emblem Heroes (Android) (8.0) (2/9) (~10 hours)
15) Super C (NES) (9.5) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
16) Contra (NES) (10.0) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
17) Mickey's Dangerous Chase (GB) (6.5) (2/24) (~1 hour)
18) My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (3DS) (8.5) (2/25) (~19 hours)
19) Mega Man 2 (NES) (10.0) (2/28) (~0.8 hours)

March:
20) Final Fantasy XV (PS4) (8.0) (3/2) (~33 hours)
21) Blaster Master Zero (NS) (9.0) (3/10) (~6.5 hours)
22) Espgaluda II Black Label (360) (8.0?) (3/17) (0.5 hours)
23) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS) (9.5) (3/28) (~70+ hours)

April:
24) Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (PC) (8.5) (4/7) (~5.5 hours)
25) Hyper Light Drifter (PS4) (8.0) (4/9) (~8 hours)
26) Gekido Advance: Kintaro's Revenge (GBA) (7.5) (4/16) (~3 hours)
27) Vanquish (PS3) (8.5) (4/17) (~7 hours)
28) Journey (PS3) (6.0) (4/19) (~2 hours)
29) GunForce (SNES) (4.0) (4/22) (~20 minutes)
30) GunForce 2 (ARC) (7.0) (4/23) (~30 minutes)
31) GunForce: Battle Fire Engulfed Terror Island (ARC) (6.0) (4/23) (~20 minutes)
32) Mighty Final Fight (NES) (8.5) (4/29) (~30 minutes)

May:
33) Final Fantasy V (SFC) (6.0) (5/1) (~33 hours)
34) Super Adventure Island (SNES) (7.0) (5/2) (~1 hour)
35) Dragon Spirit: The New Legend (NES) (7.5) (5/3?) (~30 minutes)
36) Mighty No. 9 (PS4) (5.0) (5/6?) (~5 hours)
37) Contra III: The Alien Wars (Hard) (SNES) (8.5) (5/11) (~1 hour)
38) Operation C (GB) (7.5) (5/22) (~1 hour)

June:
39) Super Dodge Ball (NES) (9.5) (6/1) (~15 minutes)

An absolute classic. I play through this occasionally, always on difficult and with an attempt at finishing the game without taking a hit. I didn't do so this time, taking a whack against Russia. That Spear shot up close can mix you up if you're not ready for it.

In my book, the NES version will always be the superior one, despite the copious amounts of sprite flicker and changing frame rate based on how many guys are still alive. None of the other games in the series "feel" right.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I posted the Japanese artwork because I like it more than the USA artwork.

34. Deep Blue | TurboGrafx-16 | shmup | 1989 | 18m | 4/10

Aliens have infested the oceans' life forms, turning them evil and aggressive. You must kill everything with your fish sub! I've only ever heard two things about Deep Blue. One, this game sucks. Two, it's brutally hard. Turns out only one of those statements is true. Yes, Deep Blue sucks. But it's really not that hard. I beat Deep Blue on my second try.

So this is an aquatic themed shooter*, meaning you play as a fish sub that shoots other marine animals while under the ocean. I did enjoy the variety of seawater enemies, lots of esoteric real world species on display here. Unfortunately nearly every enemy might as well be a palette swap, as most just come as mobs in a sinusoidal wave. Yes Deep Blue never ceases to throw mobs and mobs of enemies at you. However, all you have to do is stay alive long enough to power up your weapon to max. Then it's just a matter of shooting endlessly, while occasionally maneuvering out of the way of falling briny starfish. The bosses while all impressively large detailed sprites, are pitifully easy. And your fish sub itself can take a ton of hits before dying, regenerates health, and better yet, every new level resets your health. (The one thing that stinks is if you get hit, you get stunned and lose all your power ups.)

There's not very many levels, and when you beat the last boss, the game simply loops back to the first level. You keep your current score though, so I have to imagine this was done to encourage high score building. Graphically Deep Blue was a mixed bag, backgrounds are terrible but enemy sprites show inspiration. The music outright sucks. Overall Deep Blue is too simple and bland to stand the test of time. But on a positive note, Deep Blue isn't the worst game Pack-In-Video ever made.

*I'm starting to wonder how many of these "aquatic shmups" there are? I know of Sqoon, Deep Blue, Submarine Attack, and In the Hunt. I've beaten all those except Sqoon. Any others? I guess Steel Diver on 3DS kind of counts. I played it too, but it's not very good. Not worth beating anyway.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 51
* denotes a replay

January (10 Games Beaten)
1. Persona 4 Arena - Playstation 3 - January 1
2. Chrono Trigger - SNES - January 7
3. Ys: The Vanished Omens - Master System - January 8
4. MUSHA - Genesis - January 10
5. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - PlayStation 4 - January 11
6. Ys I - TurboGrafx-CD - January 13
7. Ys II - TurboGrafx-CD - January 14
8. Dragon Quest Builders - PlayStation 4 - January 23
9. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. School Girl/Zombie Hunter - PlayStation 4 - January 29

February (12 Games Beaten)
11. Fire Emblem Heroes - Android - February 3
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Wii U - February 5
13. Dante's Inferno - PlayStation 3 - February 7
14. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - DS - February 11
15. Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Vita - February 12
16. Sniper Elite 4 - PlayStation 4 - February 17
17. Pony Quest - NES - February 19
18. Halo Wars 2 - Xbox One - February 22
19. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - PlayStation Portable - February 24
20. Hotline Miami - PlayStation 4 - February 26
21. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Famicom - February 27
22. Bad Dudes - NES - February 28

March (6 Games Beaten)
23. Root Letter - PlayStation 4 - March 2
24. Vroom in the Night Sky - Switch - March 10
25. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch - March 17
26. Super Bomberman R - Switch - March 18
27. Super Mario Run - Android - March 24
28. I Am Setsuna - Switch - March 24

April (9 Games Beaten)
29. Mass Effect: Andromeda - PlayStation 4 - April 1
30. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army - PlayStation 4 - April 2
31. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 - PlayStation 4 - April 2
32. New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers - Switch - April 3
33. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4
34. Persona 5 - PlayStation 4 - April 17
35. Alienation - PlayStation 4 - April 18
36. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - PlayStation 4 - April 23
37. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - PlayStation 4 - April 29

May (14 Games Beaten)
38. Puyo Puyo Tetris - Switch - May 4
39. Fire Emblem Gaiden - Famicom - May 6
40. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Switch - May 6
41. Outlast II - PlayStation 4 - May 7
42. Dishonored - PlayStation 4 - May 10
43. Snipperclips: Cut it Out, Together! - Switch - May 12
44. Pikmin - Gamecube - May 12
45. Metal Slug - Neo Geo MVS - May 13*
46. Dariusburst CS: Chronicle Savior - PlayStation 4 - May 14
47. Batman: The TellTale Series - PlayStation 4 - May 17
48. Batman: Arkham VR - PlayStation 4 - May 18
49. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - 3DS - May 25
50. Farpoint - PlayStation 4 - May 27
51. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Xbox 360 - May 29

June (1 Game Beaten)
52. Star Trek: Bridge Crew - PlayStation 4 - June 2

52. Star Trek: Bridge Crew - PlayStation 4 - June 2

This review has to start with a shout out to my first officer and space-faring partner in crime, redHudson8. We met earlier this evening in a random game online, and we ended up forming a dynamic duo that a whole armada of Klingon warships couldn't hope to stop. With him at the helm and me in the captain's chair, no obstacle proved too much for our combined badassitude - not even a prepubescent tactical officer who enjoys shooting crippled allied science ships and occasionally has trouble following orders. This one's for you, Commander Hudson.

Bridge Crew is a very slow paced game for the most part, but don't let that fool you; despite being one of the slowest paced Star Trek game overall, it's definitely the most intense when things really kick into high gear. You can play either online with up to three other people or offline with AI crew members, but I strongly suggest the former; the AI can do the job decently well, and you can switch to and take control of an AI crew member whenever, but things definitely flow the best when you've got four humans with mics who can communicate and each perform their assigned tasks. You can play either Helm, Tactical, Engineering, or in the prestigious Captain's Chair. I love all four roles, and I really enjoying being captain, but honestly, tactical is probably my favorite.

The main campaign consists of five missions plus a prologue shakedown cruise. In addition to those primary missions, you can do some random "Ongoing Voyages" missions as either the game's main ship, USS Aegis, or - if you want a real challenge - play more difficult random missions as the original USS Enterprise. I've done the whole campaign and several random Aegis missions, but I've not yet played as the USS Enterprise, though I've heard that it's significantly more difficult than playing as the Aegis.

The campaign's story revolves around a Starfleet expedition into a region of space known as the Trench with the goal of finding a potential new world for the Vulcans to inhabit. Unfortunately, you find out that not only are there few possible candidate worlds but the Klingons also have a massive military presence in the region, posing a threat to the security of the United Federation of Planets. The campaign consists primarily of missions to disrupt or outright destroy Klingon operations in the Trench. Some involve more combat than others, and a couple missions can - potentially if you have a skilled captain and a competent crew - be completed while avoiding combat entirely.

I'll give you a basic break down of each station's main roles. Helm, obviously, steers the ship and controls the speed as well as setting courses in both impulse and warp. Tactical handles scans, shields, torpedoes, and phasers. Engineering handles power distribution; you've got a maximum of 10 power nodes to distribute between shield strength, phaser range, and maximum engine speed, each of which can hold a maximum of five nodes. You can also reroute power from one system to another for an extra boost above max, but that comes at a cost; it slowly deals damage to the power conduits, potentially crippling systems. The captain, as one would expect, coordinates the whole mission and crew. You can keep the local map pulled up on your left, keeping an eye on distance to and details about anomalies, enemies, and objectives to better command helm to set a particular heading or speed. On the right, you can look at either objective information or general ship status. The latter is helpful as it tells you how many torpedoes remain, shield status, hull integrity, and power distribution. There are two things that can be accessed by either helm, tactical, or engineering - the transporters and system intrusion. The former is obvious - beam people up - but the latter is most fitted to tactical and plays a crucial role in combat. Most enemies have four systems that can be scanned - weapons, shields, engineering, and communications. Once scanned, you can use system intrusion to temporarily disable that system, either stopping them in place, knocking out their weapons, keeping them from calling for back up, or matching your phasers to their shield frequency, allowing for shield penetration. It's important to note, however, that matching their shield frequency only allows your phasers to penetrate, not your photon torpedoes.

One of my favorite things about the game is that many missions have multiple ways to complete them as well as optional objectives. Do you go out of your way to save civilians from Klingons when your ship has sustained heavy damage, or do you allow them to be destroyed to allow your own ship time to escape? Do you destroy every Klingon between you and a communications relay, or do you try to approach will steal and disable the array without ever alerting the Klingons to your presence? Do you respect the Neutral Zone treaty with the Klingons and allow a Federation ship to be stranded in enemy space, or do you violate the treaty to save your compatriots, sparking a violent confrontation with the Klingons? These are the decisions that the captain has to make, and sometimes your choices are bad or worse with no real right answer.

Star Trek Bridge Crew is a damn brilliant game if you keep in mind its purpose. It's very much designed to be a multiplayer game, and that's really where it shines through the best, but the fact that they included a fully playable single player mode sends it from amazing to fucking incredible for me. It can take a few tries to get a truly great crew, but once you get a full crew where everyone knows basically what they're going and takes it seriously enough to do well, it's legitimately the best Star Trek experience I've ever had gaming as well as the best multiplayer gaming experience I've ever had. I've said for years that only Activision knows how to make a good Star Trek game, and while I still say they still have the potential to make the best Star Trek games, Ubisoft has proven that every now and then, they pull their heads out of their French asses and make something incredible. I'm not a fan of Ubisoft by any means, but in this case, they definitely fulfilled President Macron's pledge to Make Our Planet Great Again. #MOPGA
Patron Saint of Bitch Mode