PC build thread

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: PC build thread

Post by Anapan »

I'm going to try a tiny X64 build!
SBC half-size
I can still use a compatible AMD card and get analog 15khz out of a real computer without compromizing my tried and tested windows 7 solution.
Gonna need to cool it alot but silently - it'll be pumping a lot juice into a small housing - like the same size as the monitor it's feeding.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

The new AMD stuff announced at Computex is looking really really good. My next gaming PC might be an AMD system. The last time I built an AMD PC for myself was back when the first Athlons launched.

I've been thinking about building a new one since my kids are getting older and playing more PC games. My son bought Minecraft a while back and I occasionally have to give him the boot so I can use my computer. :lol:

I'm really pumped for PCIe 4.0 m.2 SSDs. That will be a nice upgrade over my current SATA SSD.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

bmoc wrote:The new AMD stuff announced at Computex is looking really really good. My next gaming PC might be an AMD system. The last time I built an AMD PC for myself was back when the first Athlons launched.

I've been thinking about building a new one since my kids are getting older and playing more PC games. My son bought Minecraft a while back and I occasionally have to give him the boot so I can use my computer. :lol:

I'm really pumped for PCIe 4.0 m.2 SSDs. That will be a nice upgrade over my current SATA SSD.

I stupidly built one right around the time the Ryzen 1600 was released. Apparently I have a buggy one, tried to return it, got delayed, then the warrantly lapsed. Now my computer randomly freezes/reboots for now reason at all.

It really turned me off AMD, which used to be the trusted name in my house.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I'm sorry to hear that. I assume you have tried all the usual troubleshooting steps like updating drivers and motherboard firmware? Memory test?

I've had great success with https://www.tweaking.com/content/page/w ... n_one.html fixing random weirdness in Windows.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

bmoc wrote:I'm sorry to hear that. I assume you have tried all the usual troubleshooting steps like updating drivers and motherboard firmware? Memory test?

I've had great success with https://www.tweaking.com/content/page/w ... n_one.html fixing random weirdness in Windows.

Yep. There was apparently a bug in the 1600s that led to segfaults. I apparently got a buggy one without realizing it at first. Memory is good, everything is updated, figured it was incompatibilities until I did some research. Apparently they did swap out the defective ones, but I couldn't take advantage of that/their customer service was very opaque.

Ah, well. C'est la vie. I'll be more careful next time.
marurun

Post by marurun »

AMD chips are far less hamstrung by security remediation. Estimates are that patching all the various side channel attacks against Intel CPUs will knock them down 15-20% of their speed.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

So Intel released some new details about their Ice Lake series last night after I went to bed. To my knowledge they haven't released model specific info on the desktop processors yet so it is hard to make direct comparisons to AMD's new offerings. As far as I can tell, Intel won't be supporting PCIe 4.0 yet so AMD has a nice feather in their cap with that.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

bmoc wrote:The new AMD stuff announced at Computex is looking really really good. My next gaming PC might be an AMD system. The last time I built an AMD PC for myself was back when the first Athlons launched.

Yeah, I'm looking at building a system around the 3700X when it comes out (because upgrading to that from a 3770k will be funny). Even if it still ends up short on IPC, AMD has been doing a lot of stuff right lately.

'course, I'm having to RMA my GTX 1080 now like less than two weeks before the warranty is up. Bad VRM I think. Would rather not have to buy a new GPU when building. :lol:
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Would you say that you'd have to be stupid to build an i7 over a Ryzen 7 right now? Considering just price to performance? Or all things considered? Let's say someone intends to use their PC for gaming but also photo, audio and video editing.

One really annoying thing right now is that the user base for reviews on motherboards is heavily on the AMD side right now, making finding the most reliable Intel mobo more of a gamble.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

I think the main consideration for that right now is that we're like five weeks away from the Ryzen 3000 launch. Unless Intel is a foregone conclusion for you, it'd probably make a lot of sense to hold off on building until we've seen some testing. If nothing else, you're likely to see some promotional pricing to compete.

That being said...

For what's on the market today, last I've seen, Intel still has had a strong showing for IPC, and in turn still turns in the best performance on applications using a relatively small core count. So, the majority of games, Adobe applications, and so on. As mentioned, there may be some performance impact from exploit mitigation, despite that they're something that 's largely a worry for servers/virtualization rather than home machines. Other than not-awesome thermals though, Intel is still likely to be a safe, solid choice that'll get the job done for years to come.

I think AMD has become more attractive for the enthusiast of late, more or less, because Intel has been complacent, if not stingy. They kept their consumer lineup at about the same core counts and feature levels for a while, perhaps as to not intrude on their pricey high end desktop platforms. AMD has been able to come out of the gate offering not just more cores, but more PCIe lanes and the like too, for platforms that are generally more robust than Intel's at the same price point. Things Intel could easily have been offering, if they'd cared to. Same with like, soldered heat spreaders. Still, for the 2000 series at least, you are still trading off performance in a lot of stuff versus an Intel CPU, and many consumers will never take advantage of the other platform benefits.

So, I would say it's not a clear win either way. Ryzen 3000 series does seem poised to change that though, and I think enthusiast builds will favor AMD in the near term. That said, we've seen similar things before, with the Athlon XP line, Opteron, and a few others depending on price point. Intel's competing offerings largely weren't bad (the super high clock, super hot Pentium 4s probably being an exception). There was just a real competition afoot, which was great for everyone. To me, that's what we've got here again.