So Thief 4 anybody?

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
MrPopo

Re: So Thief 4 anybody?

Post by MrPopo »

Stark wrote:From what I've seen gameplay-wise Dishonored is much more action heavy than Thief.

Makes sense. Thief is about being a thief while Dishonored is about being an assassin. The best thief is not going to engage in combat, just lift everything valuable he can without being discovered.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Yeah, I think it's best not to compare the two, although I don't see people being able to restrain themselves. I've actually only played a few minutes of Dishonored, I got annoyed because I could get around a guard without killing him or knocking him out and I haven't started it back up yet. I will, just haven't yet.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

optmusprimenumber wrote:just wait till you get into South Quarter, half the windows are exits.

Which brings me to another major question...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMivjfxiHnE

So how's the music in this one?

There is nothing out there quite like Eric Brosius' stuff for the first three, and his music definitely takes the experience to another level. Wouldn't be near the same without it. I like when games have constant music going, even in a genre like this... Thief made it work. The constant droning melodic ambiance, it kept you on your toes, made you feel like there was always someone that could be around the corner or watching you. You're a tiny dime in this huge city. It made you... fragile and human, loved it heh.

So... I don't know what to expect here, but I hope the music is good. They did good with Deus Ex HR's OST, so hopefully this got the same treatment.

Stark wrote:Yeah, I think it's best not to compare the two, although I don't see people being able to restrain themselves. I've actually only played a few minutes of Dishonored, I got annoyed because I could get around a guard without killing him or knocking him out and I haven't started it back up yet. I will, just haven't yet.

Definitely give it a real shot. I just had to bring up the inevitable question (but unlike most of the internet I know Dishonored owes a lot to Thief, not the other way around haha). But yeah, it's still its own beast, can be played similarly like Thief or perhaps Bioshock, more in your face. I'm definitely hoping rumors about the sequel being announced soon turn out to be true.

Word of advice though... there is an ability that lets you see things through walls, which I used... but couldn't stop myself from abusing after awhile. It definitely takes you out of the game a bit and makes it way too dang easy. Next time I revisit it I'll be skipping that one.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Caved and got it.

The atmosphere is absolutely amazing. Loving the music too. I think these were some of the biggest things I wanted out of this, and damn does it feel like it delivers here.

Already loving it.
Wispmage
32-bit

Post by Wispmage »

Xeogred wrote:So how's the music in this one?

There is nothing out there quite like Eric Brosius' stuff for the first three, and his music definitely takes the experience to another level. Wouldn't be near the same without it. I like when games have constant music going, even in a genre like this... Thief made it work. The constant droning melodic ambiance, it kept you on your toes, made you feel like there was always someone that could be around the corner or watching you. You're a tiny dime in this huge city. It made you... fragile and human, loved it heh.

So... I don't know what to expect here, but I hope the music is good. They did good with Deus Ex HR's OST, so hopefully this got the same treatment.
Interesting that you bring up the constant ambiance music in the earlier Thief games and Deus Ex. I think it's certainly a key factor to why they were such beloved games.

Xeogred wrote:Caved and got it.

The atmosphere is absolutely amazing. Loving the music too. I think these were some of the biggest things I wanted out of this, and damn does it feel like it delivers here.

Already loving it.
Glad to hear man, I couldn't agree more. However, I did notice while playing last night that the music isn't always present as you'd mentioned before, and seems to come in for things like escaping from guards, picking locks, or finding special loot. It offers a bit of a different feel, one that intensifies certain moments of gameplay over others. The one comparison that came to mind right away is Half-Life 2, which did the same thing incredibly well.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I'll agree to that. I prefer DX's score by a good bit over HR, but still liked HR's soundtrack, so I'll probably still be cool with it here even if it's utilized a bit different.

3 hours in and just now hitting Chapter 2.

Yeah, this is damn good. I'm really blown away at how the media kind of pooped all over this and some other recent games. I wonder if those theories of the media dogging on games that are cross gen have any weight to them (because they're "holding gaming back from moving forward" or some crap like that), I don't know. It seems a bit unfair, so far, I can't imagine how this could have gotten much better for a good new installment in the Thief series.

I can see how this is a tad buggy, in the sound department (sync didn't seem right in some of the in game cutscenes). But other than that I haven't encountered much or anything game breaking. The graphics and everything else are damn good and this thing is drooling with atmosphere.

Also laughing at how load times were a complaint by many... but I'm playing on PC. Is this worse on consoles or something? Because they are literally like 2 seconds long for me. If I blink I might miss them. Did those reviewers not play Invisible War and Deadly Shadows? Now those are loading times... lmao.

So yeah... as a big fan of the series, I'd say I'm really impressed and enjoying this a lot so far. Pretty much instantly got use to the new voice actor and he doesn't sound as overdone as Jensen did a bit. I'll pretend he's a younger Garret, since that's the vibe I got. But still cynical and awesome. I actually like the hand grabbing too. I'm playing with a 360 controller myself, and so just hitting X for the prompt is easy enough to grab stuff. Can't say it bugs me.
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

Post by optmusprimenumber »

Depending on the area, the load times aren't usually longer than 12 seconds on the 360. I have it installed, but there's no reason to not do that, so [roughly] 12 seconds it is. No big deal.

A goofy bug I found playing on my friends PS4.. Garret's climbing animation would be too far from the wall so when he got over where the edge usually is he would just fall. Reloading seemed to straighten it out. I did find one spot playing on my 360 where that happened, but just at the one spot. Somewhere in South Quarter. A small sloped roof.

The sound-syncing issue seems to be pretty common. I've experienced it a few times myself.

Otherwise, still enjoying it.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I guess when you're trying to develop something that should work on 5 platforms... yeah it's bound to have a few bugs. :roll:
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

Post by optmusprimenumber »

Xeogred wrote:I guess when you're trying to develop something that should work on 5 platforms... yeah it's bound to have a few bugs. :roll:

Sounds about right. I noticed that Splinter Cell Blacklist and Thief have a similar amount of inconsistencies with their context sensitive multi-purpose buttons.. perhaps as if they're really just asking a lot of the engine or maybe the coding isn't as air-tight as they'd prefer.. I guess. But I'm no programmer.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Before I keep forgetting to ask... can you disable the fog around the HUD? That's probably my biggest complaint so far. Maybe it's the FOV? I haven't altered that, but it's nice to see an option for that popping up in more games lately.