RPG Progress Report

Level up here
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: RPG Progress Report

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

The dungeons in I and II are brutal. It's very easy to get lost in part I's first-person dungeons - everything looks the same and there's no map item (like in Zelda). I think there's a "compass" that can be used to orient you, but I found it mostly useless.

Part II has "traditional" dungeons, but they're still insanely tough. Most dungeons feature pitfalls and/or transporters that take you to various places, thus making them extremely tough to map. Just look at this shiz.

Now part III is weird. Most of the dungeons are easier to navigate - they're either castles or "glass" rooms with a bunch of impassable holes you must navigate around.

I recommend all the Phantasy Star games, but seriously, use maps. :lol:
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

It also doesn't help how PSII has that annoying parallax layer that obscures your path pretty good.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Oh yeah... aren't they pipes or something on the ceiling? So damn annoying.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Oh yeah... aren't they pipes or something on the ceiling? So damn annoying.

yes, wicked annoying. But at least if you have maps then the PSII dungeons are much much easier to navigate than the PSI dungeons were (even w/ maps).
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I actually used ASCII maps for PSI. They were quite helpful, as you move in a grid-like manner through the dungeons.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I actually used ASCII maps for PSI. They were quite helpful, as you move in a grid-like manner through the dungeons.

This is what I did as well, and I also found the dungeons in PSII much harder to navigate. (I also thought that it required much more grinding than PSI...) Eventually, I purchased a used, dog-earred guide book from a thrift store and I used, marked, and dog-earred it to get through the game.

In any event...they are both quality games. In my opinion, however, PSI has held up a lot better than PSII. (I have not yet played PSIII or PSIV.)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:This is what I did as well, and I also found the dungeons in PSII much harder to navigate. (I also thought that it required much more grinding than PSI...) Eventually, I purchased a used, dog-earred guide book from a thrift store and I used, marked, and dog-earred it to get through the game.

I'm not having an issue w/ the dungeons in II, but I agree completely that it's way more grind-dependent than the first game. I feel like in PSI you had to grind for like an hour at the beginning of the game, and then really you could get through just leveling up naturally (or thru grinding for Mesata to buy shiz).
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

It does feel like this series might be better with guides, lol. I've been having to poke around a few so far myself. For those who have played PSIV, I tried going into the Bio Plant with Steel/Carbon equipment, since I didn't see the Titan Armor/Weapon shops in those weird stalls at Tonoe. I was afraid I just needed to grind for awhile or the game would be that balls to the wall tough, enemies were killing me in about three hits and when the groups are usually pretty big someone was dying in like two battles. So I got all that new gear and now I'm the one destroying things, equipment goes a long way here it seems. lol

But yeah, little things like that...
KoLAddict
24-bit

Post by KoLAddict »

PS2 is my favorite of the original quadrilogy. The music was awesome, and Nei man. Nei. That was more depressing then Aeris.
Huge RPG fan.

PSN ID and XBL GamerTag: KoLAddict
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

KoLAddict wrote:PS2 is my favorite of the original quadrilogy. The music was awesome, and Nei man. Nei. That was more depressing then Aeris.

oh. Thanks for spoiling something for me that I haven't gotten to yet. :?