Does anyone else hate acronyms?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: Does anyone else hate acronyms?

Post by Ack »

marurun wrote:It can be artful when numerals replace letters because of similar sounds, stuff that wouldn’t work in spoken language.

M4ru 15 1337
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I think that should only be used where it's best fitted. Vanity plates and scam emails.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

I don't really have any issues with acronyms, but none of my friends or my partner text too heavily in them.

The only thing that can get a bit confusing for me, is the use of acronyms at my job. Sometimes colleagues will e-mail about certain processes or projects and throw in acronyms that I'm not familiar with, as they don't pertain to my work.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

So this was a pretty silly rant on my part, but it does annoy me. The thing I don't like is this assumption people have that you just automatically know what they are talking about when they use these things. People should never assume anything when talking to other people. One of the things I get annoyed with is how a lot of internet communities (and to a lesser extent real world communities) are kind of hard to get into because of all the insider terms and acronyms. To a newbie or outsider it's like, "What the hell are these people talking about?"

I saw a hilarious post on reddit where someone asked what a certain acronym meant. Another poster answered that question...with a bunch of acronyms. At this point you just go:

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Note wrote:The only thing that can get a bit confusing for me, is the use of acronyms at my job. Sometimes colleagues will e-mail about certain processes or projects and throw in acronyms that I'm not familiar with, as they don't pertain to my work.

I'm a big fan of using acronyms and short hand at work, especially with your own group of people. But you have to know when it's appropriate!

Raging Justice wrote:I saw a hilarious post on reddit where someone asked what a certain acronym meant. Another poster answered that question...with a bunch of acronyms. At this point you just go:

Reminds me of this one time I did a Google search for something video game related. The entire first page of results were forums where someone started a thread asking the same question as me, but all of the replies in the thread were "this is super easy to find, just Google it!"
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

I'd say that's more a redditor thing than a generational thing. The reddit community stereotype is... something.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

PretentiousHipster wrote:I'd say that's more a redditor thing than a generational thing. The reddit community stereotype is... something.

Agreed. You get what you pay for over at Reddit. Best to avoid, like Facebook, Twitter, and all the other wannabe forums.

Ziggy587 wrote:Reminds me of this one time I did a Google search for something video game related. The entire first page of results were forums where someone started a thread asking the same question as me, but all of the replies in the thread were "this is super easy to find, just Google it!"

What about the (gasp!) second page? That said, Google has gotten noticeably worse. I wonder if that problem used to be easier to find via Google, but constant tweaking has led to helpful results getting buried.

Speaking of unhelpful but fun things to tell newbs, anyone else remember lmgtfy?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Ugh, I know, Google is pushing commercial links heavy right now. Like if you Google, "best budget X for beginners," the entire first page will be commercial sites. Stores like Amazon, eBay, etc. And Article sites that push links to those stores. Sometimes that's helpful, but often times when I search "best budget X for beginners" or similar, I want to find some forum or Reddit posts. So for that I've been using Duck Duck Go.

But yeah, that example I gave in my last post was about 10 years ago.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Back in 2015, I achieved 1337 status:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage