Snes maskrom to m27c322 Adaptor issue

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Limewater
Next-Gen

Re: Snes maskrom to m27c322 Adaptor issue

Post by Limewater »

I'm glad you found it, and thanks for providing the update! It doesn't look like Oshpark has a means to comment on a design.

Looking at the site more, it looks like a place for hobbyists to upload their own gerbers to make their designs available for others, which means there probably isn't much quality control. Even professional PCB designs usually have a few issues on the first revision and need external white-wire modifications. It looks like this one even has issues on the second revision.

You probably could have found this more quickly if you had checked continuity of each power, ground, and signal line from the pin on the original ROM chip and the corresponding pin(s) on your new EPROM. Of course, it's easy for me to suggest this after you have gone to all this trouble to fix the problem.

This week at work I was trying to measure a control signal on a board and couldn't see anything like what I expected. The technicians had already put the board in an enclosure to confirm that their cable interface worked. I had them take the board back out and realized that I had simply been probing the wrong pins the whole time! It was really hard to see the silk screen on top of the chip and the pin I had thought was pin 1 was actually pin 25!
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Ziggy

Re: Snes maskrom to m27c322 Adaptor issue

Post by Ziggy »

Limewater wrote:I'm glad you found it, and thanks for providing the update! It doesn't look like Oshpark has a means to comment on a design.

Looking at the site more, it looks like a place for hobbyists to upload their own gerbers to make their designs available for others, which means there probably isn't much quality control. Even professional PCB designs usually have a few issues on the first revision and need external white-wire modifications. It looks like this one even has issues on the second revision.

Yeah, a comment system would be very useful for OSH Park. That and/or a rating system. But given the lack of comments, OSH Park actually recommends that you link to your project's homepage or other resources such as Git Hub or a forum. At least some people will put "confirmed works" or "untested" in the description, but some people put nothing in the description at all (not even a BOM or a link to one).