17%
Beat-'Em-Ups
26%

Total votes: 65

Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro - June

Post by Sarge »

I secretly put fan translations in to get some of y'all into emulation. ;) (Actually, no, but it would be a great side effect.)

I'd say Brandish: Dark Revenant counts. The remake isn't quite ten years old yet, but close enough, and of course, it's based on a much older game. I also highly recommend it. I played it on Ex's recommendation.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

All solid choices, well done Sarge!

My first vote is Fan Translations. Action-RPGs gets my second vote.

I'll be happy with whatever wins though, no complaints here. 8)
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I haven't decided if I want to do 8-bit platformers or fan translations for my second option.

Also, updated the poll, it will end in seven days. Vote accordingly. :)
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Exhuminator wrote:All solid choices, well done Sarge!

I'll be happy with whatever wins though, no complaints here. 8)

Here, Here!

I chose Action RPG's & Beat'em Ups. ARPG's because I have a game in mind that might fit that category and Beat'em Ups because that is one of my favorite genres of all time and I love to see anybody play those games.

For 8-Bit Platformers, I have Batman (NES), but I think that might be more of an Action game, so I might be stretching the definition.

Pre-Halo FPS, I do not have any. I already beat Perfect Dark (N64) this year and the only FPS games I have are from that generation.

Action RPG's, I have Dragon Valor (PS1) & Crystalis (NES). MAYBE Secret of Evermore (SNES), but I don't think so...

Fan Translations, I'm already playing Final Fantasy II (NES), but I have Final Fantasy III (NES), Dragon Quest V (SNES) and Dragon Quest VI (SNES).

For Beat'Em Ups, I have good ole Double Dragon (NES) for that one.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Batman on NES is the very definition of a platformer. Tons of jumping and tricky wall-springing in that one!

If anyone needs examples of stuff, or wants to float anything by me, feel free to ask. I think the categories are mostly self-explanatory, but there's probably a few edge cases. In general, I will probably say yes, because I don't want to get too pedantic about this kind of stuff.

I'm really intrigued how close things are so far, but as always, I expect things to change quite a bit before it goes final. :lol:

(Also, something I just thought about: the NES Double Dragon games technically fit in the platformer genre as well. You can argue that those elements aren't executed well, but they're definitely there, and are often run-stoppers for me. Similarly, something like Faxanadu or Zelda II will fit in both the action-RPG and platformer categories.)
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Would fan updated rosters to old sports games count as fan translations?
Like the 2018 version of Ken Griffy Jr or Tecmo Bowl 2018?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: Atari 2600 & 5200, NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis,
Sega CD, Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU, XBONE & Switch.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I rarely see anyone here ever talk about Seiken Densetsu 3 and I'm not sure why... it is one of the greatest games ever made and straight up the best classic ARPG in my book.

Not sure what my votes are yet, everything looks like a win.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

SpaceBooger wrote:Would fan updated rosters to old sports games count as fan translations?
Like the 2018 version of Ken Griffy Jr or Tecmo Bowl 2018?

It's not quite what I had in mind, that's more hacks than translations, but it is fan-derived works. I'll definitely think about it. Anyone else got an opinion? I was more originally angling toward experiencing games that we never got back in the day; for example, I'd never have known how awesome Gun Hazard was without AGTP's work on it.

I, personally, have indulged in quite a bit of the Tecmo Super Bowl hacks. They're pretty sweet.

Xeo, I think for me I don't talk about SD3 as much because I played through it so long ago, and of course that translation dropped a long time ago, too. I dredged up an old save game that was near the end, actually, so I didn't actually beat it until recently. :P It was a great game, though, and a great choice for either ARPG or fan translations.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

It's definitely fascinating how old (and good) the translation is. I used to frequent the GameFAQ's board for it frequently back in the day too when it was pretty active and not hostile at all either, heh. Great community then. Still a game I frequent every few years because of the chooseable three characters party system and branching classes at two points in the game, so the replayability is sky high. It's a 10/10. I know I love Secret of Mana more than most here, but I can see the flaws in it along with Evermore... but don't let that hold anyone back from trying out SD3. Best ARPG combat system ever made and it's an S rank in all technical departments.
:mrgreen:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

These are really good options. Having trouble deciding on two really.