First Console Game To Do FPS "Right" - Goldeneye vs Halo

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: First Console Game To Do FPS "Right" - Goldeneye vs Halo

Post by Xeogred »

I honestly think Goldeneye deserves the credit. It's a weird comparison because of the release gaps. I imagine a lot like myself who grew up loving both, well... naturally we started with Goldeneye and moved onto Halo down the road.

Like isiolia mentioned, a few other games beat Halo to the dual analog layout like Timesplitters. Although I don't know if it was the default controls. I remember it was WEIRD AS HECK to me back then haha, took forever to get a grasp on it. Halo was really easy to jump into though, even with the Duke hamburger controller. To this day, I still love the Dualshock controller but I've never found it to be ideal for FPS's. Xbox got this right.

Goldeneye deserves the credit and Halo perfected things. Endless multiplayer memories with these two.

Screw Halo 2, I never had the liberty of having XBL back then and it killed the LAN parties. :(
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

I think the elephant in the room is that Goldeneye has aged very poorly. The framerate is extremely low and the controls are a pain. I have a lot of friends who loved the game back in the day and even many years afterwards but find it impossible to go back to it now.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Erik_Twice wrote:I think the elephant in the room is that Goldeneye has aged very poorly. The framerate is extremely low and the controls are a pain. I have a lot of friends who loved the game back in the day and even many years afterwards but find it impossible to go back to it now.

You're not wrong. This is the wrench thrown in here. We could take this further though and say this about a lot of 32/64bit 3D era stuff.

The Perfect Dark HD XBLA port is fantastic. It's a shame we didn't get the Goldeneye port which has some footage floating around.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I think it's also fair to say that while Goldeneye was popular on its own it had a lot less influence than Halo which caused the genre to completely explode on consoles.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

I think there is a differentiation to be made here. Goldeneye got a first person game right, whereas halo got a first person shooter right. You can't say the controls are good in goldeneye, but you can say that it got an engaging world and fun mechanics.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Amazing insights and commentary! You guys mind if I meld your comments together a bit for the Xbox piece?
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

racketboy wrote:Amazing insights and commentary! You guys mind if I meld your comments together a bit for the Xbox piece?

By all means!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I had a lot of fun with console FPSs before either game.

Doom (especially on the 32X)
Zero Tolerance (Genesis)
Alien Trilogy (PS1)
Disruptor (PS1)
Duke Nukem (PS1)
Powerslave (PS1)

etc.

I think the Doom and Wolfenstein console ports especially were all pretty popular...and predate Goldeneye (and do some things better)
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

dsheinem wrote:I had a lot of fun with console FPSs before either game.

Doom (especially on the 32X)
Zero Tolerance (Genesis)
Alien Trilogy (PS1)
Disruptor (PS1)
Duke Nukem (PS1)
Powerslave (PS1)

etc.

I think the Doom and Wolfenstein console ports especially were all pretty popular...and predate Goldeneye (and do some things better)

While yes, there are other first person shooters out there that were good before goldeneye, how many people talk about the cultural impact those titles had on console gaming?

Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

racketboy wrote:Amazing insights and commentary! You guys mind if I meld your comments together a bit for the Xbox piece?

Not at all, go ahead!
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/