New commissions: N64 handheld portable in GBA Organizer case

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
bacteria
Next-Gen

Re: New commissions - N64 and MegaDrive (clone) systems

Post by bacteria »

Casework is pretty much done. Installed buttons for A, B, C, joystick, speaker grill, left shoulder, right shoulder, Z, reset, start, on/off. Only need to install volume up and down, low battery LED; also d-pad.

I'll be starting to install the electronics soon, after installing the other holes and the buttons and pads in place.

I am the Bacman
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Quick update - installed buttons for start, left & right shoulder, C, on/off. Completed hole for d-pad. Only 1 hole left to make it case, for running off a mains transformer or recharging the batteries.

Using clicky tact switches for the C buttons as they aren't used massively in a game and I want them raised less against the surface of the case than if used rubber contact pads; also for shoulder and Z buttons makes sense. The A and B however need to be rubber contact pads as clicky would be annoying plus the positive feedback when depressing those buttons is a benefit. Start and reset are clicky tact switches, no reason not to. Reset button is needed for this build as will be incorporating an Everdrive v2.5 which means when you save a game you need to press reset to get back into the menu so the game save is written to the Everdrive - if you switch the console off instead you lose the game save. (not relevant for v.3 but is for v2.5).

Used a permanent black marker pen to colour the edge around the screen hole as looks far nicer. Used then a non-permanent one around the perimeter of that hole to make sure it was all covered, being non permanent it is wipeable, so easy to remove areas on the case itself to give a good finish whilst colouring the edges of the plastic.

Nice to be at the stage the casework is completed and am now installing the electronics and contacts.
I am the Bacman
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

This is coming along really nicely. Might be a generic case however it's really good for this project.

As you see, things are starting to happen! :mrgreen:
I am the Bacman
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Looking neat, Bac. Keep us updated on your progress.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Dang, what a difference some color makes. Between the paint job and the buttons that suddenly looks SICK.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

I haven't painted the case at all, however as the surround where I cut out the screen hole would have not looked great against the LCD, I coloured that black with a permanent marker pen.

Painting a case can make a case look pretty awesome however unless done totally right it can look bad; in this situation, I knew keeping the original case intact was going to give the best results; from experience.

Installed the d-pad now. The joystick is a perfect fit against the edge of the case which is nice.

I'll upload photos of the insides when at stage to.
I am the Bacman
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Holy crap you didn't! I just looked again and it was just the color of the buttons contrasting that made the color of the case pop, I legitimately thought it was repainted with how much more noticeable it was in the second set!
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Looking gorgeous.

Can I ask why the buyer wanted the hinges left on. Future maintenance? Is it still going to open up for cleaning etc?
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Removing the hinges would have meant a fair bit of casework to make it look nice afterwards and a paint job which would not have been as rugged as leaving this casing as is. Also the case would have lost its identity and character. Yes, does mean it is easy to open if needed to also which is a bonus.
I am the Bacman
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Tested screen and also console board.

I trimmed the N64 console board in parts so it would fit in the case, installed step-down regulator, wired up the game cartridge port to underneath the console so I don't need to take the Everdrive64 apart when use it (in meantime, using regular cartridge for testing). Had to also bend over an Expansion Pack after applying heatsinks.

All works. Need to install it into the case, controller board, screen and board, etc.

I am the Bacman