Enough about picture quality, what about sound?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Enough about picture quality, what about sound?

Post by samsonlonghair »

The way I figure it, most TV sets have poor audio, so I just run the audio signal from my console straight to my stereo amp. I can see no practical benefit from running that audio signal through my TV set.
ZBomber
8-bit

Post by ZBomber »

samsonlonghair wrote:The way I figure it, most TV sets have poor audio, so I just run the audio signal from my console straight to my stereo amp. I can see no practical benefit from running that audio signal through my TV set.

This is what I've been doing as well. I just have a cheaper 2.1 system that I used in college that I have set up to my AV Switch for the audio. Strangely enough I never did this until I stumbled across this thread a month ago, so it's really cool to hear these songs I've known forever on something other than TV speakers.
Fahrenheit
8-bit

Post by Fahrenheit »

For retro gaming I really like the Yamaha NS-6490 speakers. Yamaha has been making this basic speaker for years. Just update the model number for a slight change in the cabinet or coloring. Just about every goodwill will have a pair. If it's big and Yamaha branded it's what you want. While my HTD Level 3s that I use for my HD surround sound are more accurate for sure I still like the Yamaha's for the chiptune stuff.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Fahrenheit wrote:For retro gaming I really like the Yamaha NS-6490 speakers. Yamaha has been making this basic speaker for years. Just update the model number for a slight change in the cabinet or coloring. Just about every goodwill will have a pair. If it's big and Yamaha branded it's what you want. While my HTD Level 3s that I use for my HD surround sound are more accurate for sure I still like the Yamaha's for the chiptune stuff.

Interesting. What makes these speakers better than the next speakers?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

samsonlonghair wrote:The way I figure it, most TV sets have poor audio, so I just run the audio signal from my console straight to my stereo amp. I can see no practical benefit from running that audio signal through my TV set.

Depends on the TV. For example, some of the WEGA CRTs even have a third surround speaker built in. That heavy CRT has an advantage of housing decent speakers in its built in "bose woofer" box. I run audio out from the TV to my stereo and keep the TV speakers enabled. The TV remote controls the volume on everything; the external amp volume can be adjusted separately for the best balance/fade. This puts the sound everywhere and not just at the front as in modern HDTV sound bar systems. Keeping the internal audio also allows the option of not having to turn on the booming stereo such as watching a newscast.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Another thing to watch for is sound not syncing if you're not running through your TV. That depends on your lag primarily, but these days, I don't think it's a big issue.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Post by samsonlonghair »

CRTGAMER wrote:

Depends on the TV. For example, some of the WEGA CRTs even have a third surround speaker built in. That heavy CRT has an advantage of housing decent speakers in its built in "bose woofer" box. I run audio out from the TV to my stereo and keep the TV speakers enabled. The TV remote controls the volume on everything; the external amp volume can be adjusted separately for the best balance/fade. This puts the sound everywhere and not just at the front as in modern HDTV sound bar systems. Keeping the internal audio also allows the option of not having to turn on the booming stereo such as watching a newscast.

You're quoting something I said three months ago. In the time since then I have acquired a SONY Trinitron CRT.
You know what? It's not bad; it's better than most TV sets for sure.
You know what else? I still listen to audio through my stereo. There's just no comparison.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

samsonlonghair wrote:You're quoting something I said three months ago. In the time since then I have acquired a SONY Trinitron CRT.
You know what? It's not bad; it's better than most TV sets for sure.
You know what else? I still listen to audio through my stereo. There's just no comparison.

Oop, did not notice the date, sorry. Try both the TV and the stereo speakers all turned on with RCA audio out to your stereo. You can kick up the volume on the stereo to proper balance and fade shared with the TV speaker volume, bass and treble levels. If your TV has a surround sound option in the menu, be sure to kick it on to max use the internal surround speaker.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

McBee

Post by McBee »

Since my setup is on a Framemeister it's pretty easy to get the sound out from the HDMI to a proper sound system.

Personally I use the audio out of my Asus monitor to an external sound card /dac (Creative G5) then it goes to my small lamp stereo (CAV T2) or my headphones (AKG K-240 Studio).

I can only recommend such a system if you have a tiny setup that mix retro and your PC in one desk. (And I can even put something on my second monitor if I do some JRPG level grinding!)
chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

I recently upgraded to some old Fisher tower speakers and a Sansui integrated from the 80s. All I can say is wow. :shock: I heartily recommend full size speakers for games. It adds a whole new dimension to the experience. The 2.1 PC speakers I had did a fine job, but I implore you seek out the best audio you can, because it is worth looking at almost as much as the video quality.

These old consoles, even 8-bit but especially 16-bit an up, really benefit from full range audio with proper power.