FPS/Thrid Person Hidden Gems

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Ack

Re: FPS/Thrid Person Hidden Gems

Post by Ack »

Well, if you want PC FPS hidden gems...

System Shock, System Shock 2, Shogo, SiN, Clive Barker's Undying, The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay and Assault on Dark Athena, Star Wars: Jedi Knight series, Realms of the Haunting, Heretic, Redneck Rampage, Blood, Rise of the Triad, Blake Stone series, No One Lives Forever series, Outlaws, Strife, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, Zenoclash, The Ball, AVP Gold...there is a long list of "hidden gem" FPS on PC.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Japanese 3rd person games are just way more my thing than cover shooters. I was a big fan of Lost Planet for something early 360/PS3 gen, and 2 was memorable but that's only if you go in being able to co-op with friends... otherwise it doesn't really have much of a campaign compared to the first.

Basically everything I can think of has been mentioned already. Dead Space is the one big AAA trilogy that I am a huge fan of, but it stands out because you're fighting non-humanoid monsters, bosses, sluggish controls (tank controls lover for life baby), and yeah. Basically the best natural step after RE4 for me. But outside of that series, I would say Binary Domain, Vanquish, and Lost Planet were the 3rd person shooters I enjoyed the most last gen. Bionic Commando was neat too if that counts.

I plan to pickup Lost Planet 3 and give it a fair shot someday. Still looks like a departure from the first two though, which doesn't please me since I was a rare fan of those.

The Riddick games are damn good and I'm rarely one for stealth/melee only outside of the Thief series, but that's how damn good the Riddick games are, topped off with really awesome sci-fi art direction.

And yeah, Singularity is amazingly good. Timeshift, Wolftenstein 2009, etc, there's a lot of crap out there, and I have to honestly say I'm just not a fan of the original Metro, but... Singularity was awesome. It felt like FEAR and Half-Life 2 had a baby.

For something old I think Ack has it covered there, throw in Thief (though it's obviously different and not about shooting), and I will go ahead and throw Unreal on the list, as a lot of people out there don't realize it has an incredible campaign attached (better than Half-Life 1 if you ask me). Also Deus Ex composer, so yeah.
TheRev
128-bit

Post by TheRev »

Why oh why didn't Syndicate sell well? Is it becasue original Syndicate fans resented it was made into an FPS? Is it because the game is primarily single player? Because people hate EA? Because it's not Halo or Call of Dookie? All of the Above?

Or is it that the dubstep soundtrack makes people ACTUALLY want to kill?

I started it last night before I reached the first IMPOSSIBLE Boss fight. This game is incredible Yet it got poor reviews and sold very poorly.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I really like arcade-style light gun games in the vein of N.Y. Gunblade or House of the Dead.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

TheRev wrote:Why oh why didn't Syndicate sell well? Is it becasue original Syndicate fans resented it was made into an FPS? Is it because the game is primarily single player? Because people hate EA? Because it's not Halo or Call of Dookie? All of the Above?

I started it last night before I reached the first IMPOSSIBLE Boss fight. This game is incredible Yet it got poor reviews and sold very poorly.

Honestly, I thought it was painfully average and didn't really excel at anything. Not terrible though.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
TheRev
128-bit

Post by TheRev »

Sload Soap wrote:
TheRev wrote:Why oh why didn't Syndicate sell well? Is it becasue original Syndicate fans resented it was made into an FPS? Is it because the game is primarily single player? Because people hate EA? Because it's not Halo or Call of Dookie? All of the Above?

Honestly, I thought it was painfully average and didn't really excel at anything. Not terrible though.

Maybe it is if you play alot of FPSes? Which I don't.

I started Binary domain yesterday, I cleared chapter 1 and when I went back to play more it booted me back to the begining of the game. DA FUQ?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

If you have a way to play PS2 titles check out Rouge Trooper & Psi Ops. Both unique third person shooters.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

I LOVE the Red Faction games and the Star Wars Battlefront games.

Better on PC, but totally swell on the oxbox. Not sure how they play online, but with battlefront you yourself can even unfavorable odds. It's a blast.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Here's some more for ya, The Club (PS3,360), Shadows of the Damn, Armored Core Series, Body Harvest 64, Giants Citizen Kabuto (PS2 Brilliant), The Saboteur, Just Cause Series, Kane & Lynch 2 to name a few.

Edit: How can I forget Metal Arms Glitch in the System!
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.