Best N64 Wrestling game?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Re: Best N64 Wrestling game?

Post by Violent By Design »

No Mercy is the latest one so its most polished, but its roster is meh...

WCW Revenge has the best roster by far, it's pretty awesome - but it is missing somethings that No Mercy had. Less maneuvers, but still a ton.

I never played the Japanese AKI games so can't really comment on them.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Violent By Design wrote:No Mercy is the latest one so its most polished, but its roster is meh...

How is the roster 'meh'? It's the Attitude Era at its peak. Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, The Hardyz, Dudleyz, Edge and Christian, Rock, Stone Cold, Mick Foley, HHH etc. It was pretty awesome in my opinion.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

Violent By Design wrote:No Mercy is the latest one so its most polished, but its roster is meh...

WCW Revenge has the best roster by far, it's pretty awesome - but it is missing somethings that No Mercy had. Less maneuvers, but still a ton.

I never played the Japanese AKI games so can't really comment on them.

the roster is not meh at all, heck i even have 80% of the wcw revenge (and ecw) roster on my game because of the awesome create a player option and i could probably put them all if i want to. :wink:

the japanese AKI games are ok, couldn't really get into it since i don't know 90% of the roster. i was using Vader when i was playing it (Virtual Wrestling 2). :lol:
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

Reprise wrote:

How is the roster 'meh'? It's the Attitude Era at its peak. Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, The Hardyz, Dudleyz, Edge and Christian, Rock, Stone Cold, Mick Foley, HHH etc. It was pretty awesome in my opinion.

I wouldn't really say that No Mercy was the Attitude Era at its peak, it was more like the Attitude Era at its tail end (Nov 2000). I already stopped watching Wrestling by the time No Mercy had come out (I watch wrestling now though, I'm a snob hence my meh statement :wink: )

A lot of the guys you mentioned weren't really that big at that time, or they really hit their primes/peaks later on. Also, guys like Mick Foley to me had already been ruined by the time No Mercy had come out by making him into a total pussy. Undertaker wasn't dead anymore. Austin was a parody of himself. Benoit was still tarnished by his run in WCW. Etc

There were a lot of cool guys, but I didn't love any of them, and the ones that I did like I either liked more before that period or after. Some guys like Austin were still the man in real life, but his video game version looked so plain. No Mercy didn't have a lot of high flyers either, while Revenge had all the luchadors and japanese wrestlers.

WCW at its prime had a way better roster than the WWE did during the Attitude Era. I think WWE's best roster was during Ruthless Aggression when they had bought out WCW.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Violent By Design wrote:
Reprise wrote:

I wouldn't really say that No Mercy was the Attitude Era at its peak, it was more like the Attitude Era at its tail end (Nov 2000). I already stopped watching Wrestling by the time No Mercy had come out (I watch wrestling now though, I'm a snob hence my meh statement :wink: )

A lot of the guys you mentioned weren't really that big at that time, or they really hit their primes/peaks later on. Also, guys like Mick Foley to me had already been ruined by the time No Mercy had come out by making him into a total pussy. Undertaker wasn't dead anymore. Austin was a parody of himself. Benoit was still tarnished by his run in WCW. Etc

There were a lot of cool guys, but I didn't love any of them, and the ones that I did like I either liked more before that period or after. Some guys like Austin were still the man in real life, but his video game version looked so plain. No Mercy didn't have a lot of high flyers either, while Revenge had all the luchadors and japanese wrestlers.

WCW at its prime had a way better roster than the WWE did during the Attitude Era. I think WWE's best roster was during Ruthless Aggression when they had bought out WCW.

Eh? We're going to have to agree to disagree there. For me, the year 2000 was the Attitude Era at its peak and I think it reached it's absolute height in quality at Wrestlemania X7 (with 3 of the best PPVs ever in a row), just days after the purchase of WCW. Then it all went down hill as WWE struggled to move forward with any good ideas and ended up going with the terrible, botched WCW/ECW Invasion angle (that's exactly when I stopped watching). I agree, the roster did get incredibly good during the Ruthless Aggression period though.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Wow, thanks for the response guys!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
TheSegaSaturnGuy
64-bit

Post by TheSegaSaturnGuy »

Well I cant give you my absolute favorite, but I can tell you the absolute worst.. Warzone, hands down. I always enjoyed Revenge the best, so many characters to choose from! On the other hand, WCW vs. The World has TONS of characters as well but it doesn't feel the same to me.
I am buying all Saturn games, PM me with your offerings and I will let you know if I need the game or not! (Everything must be CIB)

Currently trying to knock off all the sports games, would like to get them <$5 each! Of course if you would like to donate them I will gladly pay the shipping! :)
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Haha I tried so hard to like Warzone and Attitude. I can't believe I tricked myself into thinking they were good games. Absolute piss, the both of them. I really do not understand how those games got good reviews.

TheSegaSaturnGuy
64-bit

Post by TheSegaSaturnGuy »

Reprise wrote:Haha I tried so hard to like Warzone and Attitude. I can't believe I tricked myself into thinking they were good games. Absolute piss, the both of them. I really do not understand how those games got good reviews.

Haha, Warzone just feels very incomplete, not only in the ring but the character creator as well. I could never creator a character and feel complete.
I am buying all Saturn games, PM me with your offerings and I will let you know if I need the game or not! (Everything must be CIB)

Currently trying to knock off all the sports games, would like to get them <$5 each! Of course if you would like to donate them I will gladly pay the shipping! :)
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

TheSegaSaturnGuy wrote:Haha, Warzone just feels very incomplete, not only in the ring but the character creator as well. I could never creator a character and feel complete.

Wasn't Warzone the first wrestling game to have a character creator? It was probably quite innovative for the time, but primitive by today's standards. I didn't like the gameplay and graphics. I hate the 'Mortal Kombat' approach to the gameplay. Trying to press left, right, up + triangle to pull off a suplex is just not intuitive and is a silly control scheme in hindsight.