Mega Duck/Cougar Boy Handheld

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Betagam7
128-bit

Re: Mega Duck/Cougar Boy Handheld

Post by Betagam7 »

Got hold of my first boxed and complete Megaduck game yesterday.

It's worm visitor by our jolly old friends at Sachen.

Now to find a copy of 'Pile Wonder' and complete my dream collection of games named after embarrassing rectal complaints.

It's a decent sort of scrolling frogger clone, btw and not really about an infectious parasite.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Okay, I'm wondering if any of my European brethren (or S. American brethren) can help me out here.

Yesterday I acquired 'Ant Soldiers', a rather excellent Lemmings clone and was enjoying it until the cat managed to knock the Megaduck out of my hand.

He has already pulled it off a shelf several times and in doing so buggered the external sound so that I can only use headphones. The machine seemed undamaged but today when I pulled it out I noticed a weird red mark on the screen. It seems about twenty pixels died overnight.

I'm sad as I'm close to completing a full collection of games for the system and it seems this one is on its last legs. I'm hoping the dead pixels don't spread further because of some long term damage.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if:

(a) There is a way for me to repair the screen

or

(b)Anywhere I can buy a replacement Mega Duck (or Cougar Boy).

I have multiple units of my other rare systems but only one Mega Duck and I really do enjoy it so don't want it to go RIP.

Any help would be apprecieated.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I don't think there's much you can do for dead pixels. You're probably going to have to buy yourself another Mega Duck/Cougar Boy Handheld.

I recommend you drop the cat off at the local violin shop.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

samsonlonghair wrote:I don't think there's much you can do for dead pixels. You're probably going to have to buy yourself another Mega Duck/Cougar Boy Handheld.

I recommend you drop the cat off at the local violin shop.

I'm not sure it is dead pixels but looking online it seems to be LCD bleeding or "screen cancer" as I also saw it dramatically referred to. The latter indicates it might get worse.

Yes, I would very much like to source another Mega Duck but I rarely if ever see one for sale. They seem to mostly show up from Dutch or German sellers where they were marketed by Creatronic and Hartung. I believe Videojet handled them in France.

If anyone can help source me one I would be extremely grateful. I could also throw in a spare SuperVision as a swap as I have three of those things!

Even a 'Cougar Boy' as they were known in South America would do. it will just be depressing to finally get my complete collection and have no way to play them.

The cat stays despite his tendency to assault my hardware! I would miss him more than any games.
Bosshogg

Post by Bosshogg »

I have a Game duck laying around here. It is in working order as i just checked. The screen is a bit dim but that may just be the console itself.

I have the following games:
- 4 in 1
- Bomb disposer
- Armour force
- The brick wall
- Suleiman's treasure
- Trap and turn
- VEX

None of them have a box but i do have some instruction booklets for them.

Just found this forum by searching Google to find out if people are still looking for these things.

Maybe you are interested in it? I am from the Netherlands
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

This guy sounds like he's got just what you need, Betagam7.

Hi Bosshogg. Welcome to the Rackety forum. Stick around for a while, chat about retro games, and make a few friends.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Bosshogg wrote:I have a Game duck laying around here. It is in working order as i just checked. The screen is a bit dim but that may just be the console itself.

I have the following games:
- 4 in 1
- Bomb disposer
- Armour force
- The brick wall
- Suleiman's treasure
- Trap and turn
- VEX

None of them have a box but i do have some instruction booklets for them.

Just found this forum by searching Google to find out if people are still looking for these things.

Maybe you are interested in it? I am from the Netherlands

Sent you a PM. :)
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Thanks, very much to Bosshogg who has now supplied me with a replacement Mega Duck (plus Trap and Turn) for a very reasonable community rate!

It arrived today. Here it is (right) next to my broken down old Duck (left). Nice to finally be able to hear sound without headphones.

It's really nice when a community post like this one gets such a response. Great to see that there are still some great people in the retro gaming community who aren't just chasing a quick buck on ebay!

Trap and Turn seems to be some kind of Reversi variant. I'll make it my next review.

Only Four carts left to find now and I'll have a complete collection! :D