There are more 2D than 3D platformers these days...

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Re: There are more 2D than 3D platformers these days...

Post by Hazerd »

WTB a TRUE Banjo-Kazooie game, none of this nuts n bolts crap! damn you Nintendo for letting Rareware go, and damn you Rareware for falling apart, and damn you M$ for buying them and having them release crappy games, beating a dead horse here!

Now M$ is using Rareware to make dirty Kinect games!

*gets his torch and pitchfork!* TOO ARMS!!!
sabrage
Next-Gen

Post by sabrage »

Hazerd wrote:WTB a TRUE Banjo-Kazooie game, none of this nuts n bolts crap! damn you Nintendo for letting Rareware go, and damn you Rareware for falling apart, and damn you M$ for buying them and having them release crappy games, beating a dead horse here!

Now M$ is using Rareware to make dirty Kinect games!

*gets his torch and pitchfork!* TOO ARMS!!!

This post comes off as exceedingly reactionary. Rare was hemorrhaging staff even back in the N64 days, and especially after the original founders left. Many of the people responsible for the games we love simply no longer work there, and that can't be entirely attributed to the Microsoft acquisition.
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

noiseredux wrote:Mario Galaxy? Simpsons Game? Death Jr? Epic Mickey? that new Sly game?

Prince of Persia?
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Post by Menegrothx »

Because 3D platformers for the most part suck/arent fun or challenging (challenging as in hard level design rather than hard to complete the game 100% because there are 2000 different hidden objects) and they dont technically amaze players like they did back in PS1/N64 days. The nonlinear nature of 3D platformers turns most into collecting fests and it's hard to make good and fun platforming challenges if the player can run where ever he/she wants. That's why Crash Bandicoot and Sonic (when done correctly) work so well, they limit the player to a narrow path, so the level design can force the player to go through platforming challenges. I like games like Sly Cooper, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, Bugs Bunny Lost in Time and Super Mario Galaxy as much as the next guy, but I dont feel the joy of platforming when I play them like I do while playing Crash or Sonic. Games like that are just more about running around/fighting/collecting things/something else than about timing jumps and jump precision.
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

sevin0seven wrote:Image
That's Not a Bad Thing... That's a Good Thing!

+1 :D
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
WallCrusher
32-bit

Post by WallCrusher »

noiseredux wrote:Mario Galaxy?

Heck, even Mario Galaxy 2 started combining more 2D elements into the game. Sonic Colors did this as well.
WANNA GET YOUR WALLS CRUSHED?
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

WallCrusher wrote:

Heck, even Mario Galaxy 2 started combining more 2D elements into the game. Sonic Colors did this as well.

I know someone who was upset by that, if you can believe it.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
GameMasterGuy
Next-Gen

Post by GameMasterGuy »

WallCrusher wrote:

And Generations.
Is that a 3DS XL in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me? ~ZeroAX
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Menegrothx wrote:Because 3D platformers for the most part suck/arent fun or challenging (challenging as in hard level design rather than hard to complete the game 100% because there are 2000 different hidden objects) and they dont technically amaze players like they did back in PS1/N64 days. The nonlinear nature of 3D platformers turns most into collecting fests and it's hard to make good and fun platforming challenges if the player can run where ever he/she wants. That's why Crash Bandicoot and Sonic (when done correctly) work so well, they limit the player to a narrow path, so the level design can force the player to go through platforming challenges. I like games like Sly Cooper, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, Bugs Bunny Lost in Time and Super Mario Galaxy as much as the next guy, but I dont feel the joy of platforming when I play them like I do while playing Crash or Sonic. Games like that are just more about running around/fighting/collecting things/something else than about timing jumps and jump precision.

Is Mario Galaxy really a good example of collectathon/non-linear 3D platforming? Most of the game's missions are basically get to the end of the level, with the different world missions just simply shoving you along different paths.

I mean there's some exceptions to that in it, sure, but Mario Galaxy is pretty linear for a 3D platformer.
DinnerX
Next-Gen

Post by DinnerX »

AppleQueso wrote:Is Mario Galaxy really a good example of collectathon/non-linear 3D platforming? Most of the game's missions are basically get to the end of the level, with the different world missions just simply shoving you along different paths.

I mean there's some exceptions to that in it, sure, but Mario Galaxy is pretty linear for a 3D platformer.
I didn't like the game as much as 64 or sunshine because of that. The 3D platformer mario games have gotten progressively linear.
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.