19XX: The War Against Destiny - High Scores

2D Shooters Invade
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: 19XX: The War Against Destiny - High Scores

Post by ExedExes »

Honestly, I love 19XX. It was just so well designed, and I don't think it's exceedingly difficult, it was always a just-right fit to me. It does have it's bullet-hell moments with the bosses, but not like anything years later. The lock-ons and medal grabbing are always a lot of fun. Then again I'm a Capcom (and Konami) shmup fan to the max!
I played it and beat it a lot just to get a good average at the end. I love the last stage if for only all the detail and challenge.

Axelay is one shmup I know inside and out. February was a good month :lol:

I like Mosquito for its *wide* shot. Helps much in Stage 1 to get that perfect accuracy, because the faster you get ranks, the faster you get the extend, AND you get a better boss clear rank.

I would have made it past Stage 3 had I paid attention instead of trying to charge bombs at the boss.

I'll keep playing. I was just a bit blown away by that amazing score I guess. Shmups are my thing, even if I can't win them all :lol:

If you're willing to play it with me, I'll do the same. I haven't seen you give up on ExedExes yet and I'm glad you like it!

Will try again later :)
Last edited by ExedExes on Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

ExedExes - 1,401,200 - Stage 4 - Mosquito - Level 14 - MAME

Ok, so you were right. I'll give you some of my tips.

First of all, and this is a great feature, defeat the bosses as fast as you can!

Case in point -- This was from my big score run here.

Rank S gets you a base score of 50,000 pts (before rank multipliers!) Rank A only gets you 10K, so it's a big difference.

Like ExedExes, look for hidden points. Medal deposits are on Stage 2 (big ship wreckage on right as small planes fliy out) , Stage 3 (after miniboss, left side of waterfall), and Stage 4 (dinosaur fossil in ice). Before the waterfall and miniboss on Stage 3, shoot into the pond on the right to find the famous Capcom mecha and 5000 more pts.

Also, as you're charging up a bomb, the initial button press before the meter comes out works as a shot cancel. Useful on Stage 3's boss, cancel the bullet hell on it and then strike back at Level 3 bomb-age.

I remember Stage 4 boss (Grantz) being a real bad - ass. 2 sides of attack. Whee! Might get to meet him later.

My hand's hurtin a bit :lol:
Last edited by ExedExes on Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Don't burn yourselves out on this - i'll be joining you guys soon 8)
fvgazi
Next-Gen

Post by fvgazi »

mjmjr25 wrote:Don't burn yourselves out on this - i'll be joining you guys soon 8)

Likewise!
[ XBL: downedcity | PSN: biggry | Steam: Merchandise ]
Black Lodge Amplification: http://blacklodgeamps.tumblr.com/
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

mjmjr25 wrote:Don't burn yourselves out on this - i'll be joining you guys soon 8)

Oops, too late

1,922,900 - ExedExes - Stage 4 - Mosquito - Level 14 - MAME

Thanks for the challenge Dun. I think I finally got my groove back on this. What a difference dying doesn't make! Check out this stage 3 haul (with a Rank A boss clear!)

So yeah, get on board guys 8)
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Nice one man! I knew you could do it. And in only a days work too!

How are you killing the bosses so fast? I have yet to manage an S rank kill.

fvgazi wrote:

Likewise!

Highly looking forward to you both joining us! Don't worry, I'll be at this one for a bit!

Edit: Had to push ya further E.E :mrgreen:

Dunpeal2064 - 2,016,100 - Stage 5 - Mosquito - Level 17 - Arcade

Got the secret medal spawning points down, and the capcom mecha down. I still need to work on killing those bosses faster.

You say you can charge the bomb? Like, hold down the bomb button to use more than one at once?? Or, do you mean the homing shot?

Also, is each ships "secret weapon" just what they start out with, or what they are best with? It seems like each ship can use each weapon if you just wait for them to change.

This is really a damn fine game. The sprites blow me away. Love each and every boss so far.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

If I can ever get out of Stage 4, I'll beat that score down and more :lol:

Special Weapon for each plane refers to the one that each plane can power up twice. For example, any plane can pick up any weapon, but the Mosquito can only power the orange wide shot twice. The Lightning can power up the rapid weapon twice, etc.

Did you not know about the bomb charge? Hold DOWN the bomb button as if you were going to use a homing shot. A meter appears and the bomb gets more powerful. Level 2 is an area explosion and level 3 is a full screen multi blast. The longer it's held down, the more powerful it gets.

Example -- what I do on Stage 1

After the tanks are down, I start holding the bomb button down.

The meter is already up to Level 3. When that yellow bar gets all the way to the right, it's at it's highest power, and a much bigger effect here.

Tons of power and is very useful.

Now I expect 2.5 million and more on your next run. I felt like I gave away the game's biggest secret :?
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Just played through again

ExedExes - 2,232,500 - Stage 5 - Mosquito - Level 17 - MAME

Grantz went down in 1'15 (Rank A)
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Yeah, I had no idea you could hold down the bomb button. That happens to me a lot, I completely miss some aspect of a shooter. I was playing Raiden Fighters wrong for over a year!!

Nice score man, will update and try to take that score down when I get home from work.

How many medals are you milking off of the third boss? He drops those little pods that seems to spew medals, but are quite distracting from killing the boss (which is supposed to be done fast?), so maybe I should not be milking those medals at all?

The 5th boss has the best name. :lol:
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

I'll be hitting this in 2 hours - though y'all are scaring me off already :shock: