Does anybody else have this RPG problem?

Level up here
whupthewickedwurm
24-bit

Post by whupthewickedwurm »

Finally started playing Wachenröder again after about half a year... :wink:

The only turn-based RPGs I've ever finished were Lunar (Sega CD), Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, Final Fantasy Legend (Gameboy) and Skies of Arcadia.

Why do they makes some of these games longer than they need to be? Do they really think we have nothing to do but sit on our asses and play 80-hour-long RPGs all day? (Heh, actually I've probably clocked in that kind of time on some non-RPG games...)

Is anyone else here irritated when someone says something like "Its a pretty short game, ONLY 8 hours?" :x
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Yeah i don't like long games either.
But you'll notice that game reviewers typically give lower scores for short games and praise long ones.
I guess they look at it as more for your money.

But if you're like me, you never pay full price for a games, so it really doesn't matter that much
neohx_7
64-bit

Post by neohx_7 »

I can't finish Grandia II no matter how many times I've tried. The battle system is hellafun and the art is nice, but everything else just SUCKS sooo bad.

RPGs that I get close but never finish:
Vagrant Story
LOM
Grandia II
Final Fantasy II

I've been playing Tales of Symphonia for over 6 months, but I still hope to be able to finish it... I don't like the gem system at all...

RPGs that I have given up and started over the most times on:
Breath of Fire V ;P
Conn
24-bit

Post by Conn »

Not really, no. I usually get obsessed with an RPG and play it for hours on end (4+) each day. However, sometimes I'll get stuck at a part, get bored of it, come back a few weeks later and start playing again.
bawitback
64-bit

Re: Does anybody else have this RPG problem?

Post by bawitback »

racketboy wrote:I have this problem where I start an RPG, get really excited about it, get sidetracked for a few days, and then never come back to it. Anybody else the same way?

Here's a slimmed down list of the RPGs I'm "in the middle of":

Skies of Arcadia
Grandia 2
Golden Sun
Legend of Zelda
Suikoden
Legend of Oasis

Same here. I love RPG titles, but always reassure myself not to buy many. Because I hardly complete them.

Completed

FF7 - PS
Chrono Trigger - SNES
Legend of Mana - PS
Mario RPG - SNES
Pokemon - GB

Not Completed

FFX - PS
Dot Hack Infection - PS
Earthbound - SNES
Xenogears - PS
& many more --

:roll:
arion
Next-Gen

strange isnt it

Post by arion »

i had that problem with Baldur´s Gate i did play it a lot made some good progress and i had a good team but then one day i decided to play sometihing else figured i´d take a break well that break has now gone on for years now..i did hower load my old save but its impossible to go back into the story. And this applies to most rpg´s.

so when it comes to rpg´s finish what you start :D wich reminds me i have yet to continue wiht Kotor
Conn
24-bit

Re: strange isnt it

Post by Conn »

arion wrote: so when it comes to rpg´s finish what you start :D

Exactly.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Re: strange isnt it

Post by Ivo »

arion wrote:i had that problem with Baldur´s Gate i did play it a lot made some good progress and i had a good team but then one day i decided to play sometihing else figured i´d take a break well that break has now gone on for years now..i did hower load my old save but its impossible to go back into the story. And this applies to most rpg´s.

so when it comes to rpg´s finish what you start :D wich reminds me i have yet to continue wiht Kotor

This thing happened to me in Baldur's Gate as well. I should go finish it one of these days, hoepfully I can locate my saves.

It also happened to me in Laxius Power 1 (it's a freeware console style RPG for the PC, and not a bad one actually - it has 2 sequels which I think massively improve on the original. It's free so google it up, give it a try and see if you like it). That happened because I was sort of stuck.

In Wizardry VII (was it VII?) I never got that much into it, so I didn't finish it...

And in the good old Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny, I screwed up on getting a specific piece of an important map early on and just realized it later with some hours invested (maybe it isn't critical, but it demoralized me) and I thought of restarting it but just ended up not finishing.

Ivo.
Zalphier
24-bit

Post by Zalphier »

That tends to happen to me. I'll get like 60 straight hours into final fantasy 8(I like to explore a lot, my favorite rpg of all time btw) but them I'll get bored and won't play it for a month, or have a kiddish fit because I forgot to get a gf that could have helped me in the final battle :( and I'll start over lol. yes, I've never completely beaten it :/ but the love story is so well done, I actually get into it.

as for grandia 1 and 2, I loved them both emensely. I never played 3 or extreme though. Grandia 2 is by far my favorite DC rpg, however, I could not get bast the damned eye. and I was stuck in that place, with no healing items, or anything. and no matter how many times I tried, I couldn't beat it... so I thought. I eventually beat it by sheer luck(as much luck as 1's and 0's could give me) Seeing the stress it caused me, I had a little talk with Grandia 2.

"I think maybe we've been going to fast. I think it's time we see new people..."
Poor grandia 2 cried her heart out, and I feel terrible to this day not ever going back to play with her.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Let me say that I had this problem for years, but recently I have been getting better. I've just been finding old saves, dedicating a night to them, and just FORCING myself to play a solid 4 hours or more. Before I know it, the backstory is fresh in my head and I am hooked again. Most recently, I did this with Riviera. Oh and by the way, this game's got some edgy cutscenes in it for a T-rating. Wowsers! :shock: