Castlevania Appreciation Thread

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Ziggy

Re: Castlevania Appreciation Thread

Post by Ziggy »

KalessinDB wrote:Could be, but for American audiences you're gonna think of the Genesis game (at least I am). Been a while since I've beaten Rondo honestly. I should really sit down and do it again on my PSP to unlock all the SotNy goodness.

Yeah, I was totally confused the first time I played SotN. "Bloodlines... the Genesis game? What the...?"
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I beat stage 6 in Rondo... the boss rush stage, phew! That took awhile and felt amazing.

And there's still more left. :shock:
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Speaking of Bloodlines, I've been meaning to replay that game (the Genesis game). I've only ever beat it once, and only with Morris.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Rondo of Blood has been defeated! Damn that felt amazing. Tough as heck, but really fun and rewarding. I'm going back messing around with it as Maria now and checking out the alternate paths. 84% last I checked.

I'll jump back to CV III and hopefully finish that one up. Might try and get back to Dracula X and see if I can get through it just for the sake of completion...

Not sure what's next, but it looks like I almost missed out on Adventure Rebirth on the Wii, which looks really cool to me. Gotta check that one out, Chronicles, and Bloodlines.

Very tempting to go replay SoTN now too though haha.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Ziggy587 wrote:Speaking of Bloodlines, I've been meaning to replay that game (the Genesis game). I've only ever beat it once, and only with Morris.

It's a lot more fun with Eric Lecarde, in my opinion at least. It might make it feel a little less like Castlevania but he's a lot more versatile.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Gunstar Green wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:Speaking of Bloodlines, I've been meaning to replay that game (the Genesis game). I've only ever beat it once, and only with Morris.

It's a lot more fun with Eric Lecarde, in my opinion at least. It might make it feel a little less like Castlevania but he's a lot more versatile.

The one time I beat the game, I immediately started over using Eric Lecarde. I got halfway through the game and got bored and shut it off, haven't played it since. Not that I didn't like using Lecarde, it's just that I was playing the game for a while. I did like using Lecarde. Sure, it's not classic Castlevania, but he's still fun to play with.

The next time I turn that game on, I know that I'll wanna beat it again as Morris. But I do want to beat it as Lecarde at some point. Maybe since I haven't played it in a while I'll be able to stand to play through it back to back.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I beat Castlevania III and Dracula X during the downtime.

This must be something to throw in the unpopular gaming opinions thread... but I didn't like Castlevania III much. It was so frustrating, namely because of the levels and level design. Morbid Mountains (block puzzles galore and the level was endless!) is probably the worst Castlevania level ever and the checkpoints were utterly brutal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulq1D8eYIWk

Dracula was pretty easy which I was thankful for after that. Also of course... I managed to somehow stumble through the hardest path of the three main ones, apparently.

I don't know, lots of replayability with that one, but it just seemed a bit convoluted and more frustrating than fun. I liked the simplicity of the first game over it.

Can't say much good about Dracula X either. YOU WANT MORE PITS? The final fight... the layout of it, was so freaking annoying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZupFaKOPw2M

Anyways, I hit up Castlevania Adventure Rebirth and loved what I played. Kind of disappointed it doesn't have saving though, like Rondo. Does Chronicles on the PSX have saving? Don't think Bloodlines does. I realize these are kind of meant to be played in one sitting, but I don't always have much energy for games after work but still wish I could get a level in a night or so.

I think I'm going to give Harmony of Dissonance another chance on the Wii U. It's the only Metroidvania one I haven't beaten, so I figure... why not. Probably won't be a favorite, but it can't be too bad.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Xeogred wrote:Anyways, I hit up Castlevania Adventure Rebirth and loved what I played. Kind of disappointed it doesn't have saving though

It, at least, has level select. If I remember correctly, hold right on the main menu until the level select pops up.

Xeogred wrote:Don't think Bloodlines does.

No, Bloodlines doesn't save. It has the same password system that started with CV3. I'm not a fan of having to record and enter passwords, but I never minded the CV passwords. They're easy enough to enter in, and cell phone cameras make them easy to record.
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

Xeogred wrote:Does Chronicles on the PSX have saving? Don't think Bloodlines does. I realize these are kind of meant to be played in one sitting, but I don't always have much energy for games after work but still wish I could get a level in a night or so.

I think I'm going to give Harmony of Dissonance another chance on the Wii U. It's the only Metroidvania one I haven't beaten, so I figure... why not. Probably won't be a favorite, but it can't be too bad.

Chronicles does have a save feature for memory cards. Take your time - Frustrating reboot of the first game, but a really fun game!

Harmony of Dissonance is a much better game than Circle, IMHO. What made it fun for me was that it had a few really neat nods to Simon's Quest.
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Please tell me how you guys would rank Bloodlines and Chronicles in terms of difficulty...

After all this brutality, I don't know if I can keep going. lol

Just beat Adventure Rebirth.