Your retro-gaming goals and resolutions for 2014

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
kidfresh
24-bit

Re: Your retro-gaming goals and resolutions for 2014

Post by kidfresh »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
kidfresh wrote:5. Sit down and finish Ys III.

Just do it man. It's like a 6 hour game.

kidfresh wrote:7. Learn more Kanji and grammars so I can start playing the unimported Dragon Quest games gahhhslfjda;jfkl.

Get some flashcards.

Ugh, I know. Shorter than that, probably. I really dug the first two. I played through them on my Turbografx-CD a while back.

And I use SRS! They're like flashcards, but I use them on my phone and laptop, and you can hear the pronunciations and the on-yomi and kun-yomi and stuff.
Retrogamer0001
Next-Gen

Post by Retrogamer0001 »

Digging into my Saturn collection would be nice - I have this pristine copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga sitting here just waiting to be deflowered...

The game room - > http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45478

"We're on an express elevator to hell - goin' down!"
apollo

Post by apollo »

Kinda late to the party; but mine is definitely set up my retro gaming man cave, or RrrGeMeeCaaa for short. But I need a good retro television first. Does anyone know which is best for 8 and 16 bit gaming?
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

apollo wrote:Kinda late to the party; but mine is definitely set up my retro gaming man cave, or RrrGeMeeCaaa for short. But I need a good retro television first. Does anyone know which is best for 8 and 16 bit gaming?

Probably a Sony BVM
kidfresh
24-bit

Post by kidfresh »

Any Sony CRT Tube TV! They have so many different variations of them, you're sure to find one that will fit your needs given a little research.
apollo

Post by apollo »

kidfresh wrote:Any Sony CRT Tube TV! They have so many different variations of them, you're sure to find one that will fit your needs given a little research.
dunpeal2064 wrote:
apollo wrote:Kinda late to the party; but mine is definitely set up my retro gaming man cave, or RrrGeMeeCaaa for short. But I need a good retro television first. Does anyone know which is best for 8 and 16 bit gaming?

Probably a Sony BVM
Thanks! I'll look into those. I never knew Sony was the way to go.
Pixels are much prettier than Polygons...
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

BVM was Sony's highest-end professional monitor. They ran 5 digits when they were sold new.

If you can't find one, a Sony PVM is still a great option. Or, if you happen across an NEC XM29, that is one gorgeous tube as well.

There are a few threads on shmups you may want to look in to if you are really wanting to get into this stuff:

Fudoh's Ode to Old Display Technology: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=43256

Questions that do not deserve a Thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34857
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

I'll be giving myself a (loose) budget for this year: $50 per paycheck, or $1300 total. Plus whatever I happen to make from selling games, but considering I only sell dupes and I have very few of those kicking around, I don't see it going up much higher than 14-1500. I have set the precedent, with my purchase of the 3DO USB adapter, that I'm willing to dip into my budget early and hey, if I blow all $1300 by March guess I'm gonna have a looooong end of the year :lol:

Also, I'm going to focus on making my collection prettier in a couple ways -- I'm getting UGCs done up for more and more games so as to be better shelf candy, I'm displaying everything FINALLY since I'm getting my house in order at long last, and I'm continuing to work on better video output from systems -- Component where possible, S-video if I can't, Composite if I really must. I could do RGB, but I like my 36" Trinitron too much to buy a PVM that's going to be significantly smaller, especially since the difference between RGB and YPbPr is all but indistinguishable to the average human eye (and I wear glasses so I'm not even a good eye), and if I'm going to be transcoding the SCART anyway, what's the point? Plus the system modding allows me to reduce the number of proprietary cords and get most systems down to standard RCA jacks.

Tertiary importance as far as goals/resolutions is I WOULD really like to finish off a "complete" collection (even if it's cart only) of SOME system, even if it's one of the smaller/less loved systems.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Beak
64-bit

Post by Beak »

Pare down games I don't like/play, and acquire games I do want to play. Is that a resolution?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

So it's the last day of March (just) here, and thats a quarter of the way through the year! Any progress?

alienjesus wrote:1. Build up my collection for the following systems: Gamecube, N64, Saturn, DS, PSP.
Picked up Dragon Force on Saturn, 999 on DS and Yggdra Union & Project DIVA 2nd on PSP. Progress being made!

2. Beat 2 numbered Final Fantasy games this year.
Nope, not started on this.

3. Beat at least 5 of the 8 games on last years games unbeaten list.
Beaten: Kirby's Epic Yarn. Not beaten: Nintendo Land, Blaster Master, Aeroporter, Animal Crossing, Shantae, FFVII, Mario & Luigi Dream Team Bros.

4. Get all consoles on my backloggery down to 3 or less unbeaten games.
Hahaha no. Currently over 3: Wii (8), Vita (7), PS2 (7), PSP (6), DS (6), SNES (4), 3DS (4), Saturn (4), Game Gear (4), NGPC (4)

5. Participate in more than half of this years Together Retro games, and beat at least 50% of those I play.
Participated in 2 of 3. Beaten 1. On par so far.

6. Limit buying to roughly 3 games per month - not including cheap digital deals or together retro games. Preferably 1 modern game, 1 more pricy retro game and 1 other game of my choice. The goal here being to try and pick up some of the slightly pricier games I've been wanting whilst also cutting down my backlog a little.
Sort of, but not really. Had a spending spree in Jan, didn't keep to this in Feb. Just about made it in March (4 games)