Backlight Mod Original GBA or GBA Micro

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Beak
64-bit

Backlight Mod Original GBA or GBA Micro

Post by Beak »

I have been on a solid GBA kick lately and only have the original GBA. I love the ergonomics of the original much more than the SP (too boxy). The thing is I really need a backlight. As you all know, the stars need to align for you to have no glare and good illumination. If something's just slightly off, the screen's almost unreadable.

So, I'm at a crossroads. I love the idea of modding my trusty GBA for a AGS-101 screen and having old faithful in glorious backlight. The nice Chinese fellow who sells ribbons and screens (Zerey Zhang) would be about $70 in parts. I have no problem doing the work, but as with doing any modding for the first time (especially for a semi-novice like myself), there are always risks.

On the other hand, a GBA Micro is backlit and about the same price. My only worry is I won't like its small stature and screen. (Although I don't have big hands so something smaller won't kill me.)

What you all think? Is the GBA Micro nice enough to just go ahead and buy, or should I mod my GBA for the novelty of it? Seems like the same price, so I could go either way.
AppleQueso

Re: Backlight Mod Original GBA or GBA Micro

Post by AppleQueso »

GBA micro won't play GB/GBC games. That might be worth factoring in.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Look up pictures of how the afterburner mod looks when complete. This might not look quite as good as you imagine. I considered this mod myself years ago. Then I looked into the results. Yuck.
Beak
64-bit

Post by Beak »

samsonlonghair wrote:Look up pictures of how the afterburner mod looks when complete. This might not look quite as good as you imagine. I considered this mod myself years ago. Then I looked into the results. Yuck.

The mod I'd be doing is just swapping a late era GBA-SP into my GBA with a custom ribbon cable. So it'd really just be a GBA-SP on a GBA shell.
deathsled
128-bit

Post by deathsled »

I had an afterburner modded GBA and I actually liked it more than my GBA micro.

If I went back and did it again though I'd just do a GBA with an SP screen.
Bikeage
128-bit

Post by Bikeage »

Beak wrote:I have no problem doing the work, but as with doing any modding for the first time (especially for a semi-novice like myself), there are always risks.

should I mod my GBA for the novelty of it?

Doing the mod has it's own rewards, even if you fuck up, so go for it.

Besides just being "cool", to me the only advantage of having a Micro is gaming in public without looking like an immature manchild. It's so small my hands nearly cover it entirely, and can be pocketed quickly. You also look less the douche staring at a smartphone pretending to be texting.
Last edited by Bikeage on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beak
64-bit

Post by Beak »

Bikeage wrote:Besides just being "cool", to me the only advantage of having a Micro is gaming in public without looking like an immature manchild. It's so small my hands nearly cover it entirely, and can be pocketed quickly. You also look less the douche staring at a smartphone pretending to be texting.

This made me chuckle. I usually only play my GBA in public when it's a situation where I'll never see those people again (airport or something). I don't really play it in a public place where I might run into people I know.