Is a Bent S-Video Cable (Sega Saturn) an issue?

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Mad_Hatter
128-bit

Is a Bent S-Video Cable (Sega Saturn) an issue?

Post by Mad_Hatter »

I ordered an S-Video cable. When I got it, one of the pins was bent to the other side.

Here is a picture of how the S-Video Cable looks now:

It's the top right pin that was bent and that is slightly bent now.

You think it will be a problem now or in the future?

The only issue I see right now, and this is being really picky, is weird output (like a glitchy green output for a split second) between loading screens on start up. This is probably natural, but I am not sure as I never owned a Saturn till yesterday.

A bent pin might not sound like a big deal, but I spent 15 bucks on this cable. That's a lot of money for me on an S-Video cable, lol.
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Re: Is a Bent S-Video Cable (Sega Saturn) an issue?

Post by Cronozilla »

As long as the pin is still making contact it should be fine. The only real danger is if it keeps getting bent and reset, that'll just snap the pin right off. But if it's still in good condition, then it should be fine.

Usually if there's some sort of signal issue, it's not in the connector itself. But it could be that the pin isn't making proper contact.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Cronozilla wrote:As long as the pin is still making contact it should be fine. The only real danger is if it keeps getting bent and reset, that'll just snap the pin right off. But if it's still in good condition, then it should be fine.

Usually if there's some sort of signal issue, it's not in the connector itself. But it could be that the pin isn't making proper contact.

THIS. The pin looks fine. Since it is not broke off, it still has electrical contact inside its male housing. If the pin is not aligning with the female connector, carefully bend it slightly with a tiny Jewelers Screwdriver. Be very careful since SVideo Pins are easy to break, best to leave permanently plugged in. Since you are getting clean video except for the initial startup, I would not mess with it and just leave the video cable plugged in.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Mad_Hatter
128-bit

Post by Mad_Hatter »

Thanks guys.

The seller offered me to send it back for a new one (2 months if it starts messing up). But I don't want to send it back and wait to receive one, lol. since it seems good.
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

I'd like to know where you found one for sale for only $15? Mind sending me a PM with those details? :D

*edit* nevermind i found a seller on amazon with a new one for only $12 shipped. i don't know why others are trying to sell these for $50 on ebay.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
SaturnHST
24-bit

Post by SaturnHST »

There's one seller on ebay that has them for $9.95 shipped.
vlame
Next-Gen

Post by vlame »

cut that shit and solder/attach a new connector or send it back. it will break sooner or later.
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

hmm it seems that they are making saturn s-vid cables again.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

vlame wrote:cut that shit and solder/attach a new connector or send it back. it will break sooner or later.

If it was only a little bent once and was straightened to the proper position it will be fine if one isn't jamming it in the plug like a crack monkey.
KDub
Next-Gen

Post by KDub »

Indeed don't hack apart a cable and make a project out of it because a pin bent once. Just be gentle.