Wind Waker HD Bundle

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Ziggy

Re: Wind Waker HD Bundle

Post by Ziggy »

Luke wrote:I don't see the appeal to HD releases.

If I didn't already own the game, I get the appeal. But say, with SOTC, the PS2 original is fine by me.

But it's not just 480 vs 1080p. With a PS2 game HD remake on PS3, what else is different other than the visuals? The PS2 and PS3 controllers are virtually identical other than one being wireless, which doesn't affect gameplay (unless you wanna raise a comfort issue). But with the Wii U, there's a whole new gameplay element built into the controller, the screen. It'll be like most DS games, having HUD stuff on the second screen so you're "main screen" is less cluttered. That alone is pretty cool in my book.\

But it's also a touch screen. I'd imagine a game like Zelda would allow you to use it for maps and items and such. In fact, IIRC I remember hearing that you'll be able to switch items on the fly using the second screen (or was that another Zelda game I was reading about?). In addition to all that, they did improve the game a little bit here and there. Apparently one major complaint was how long sailing took, so now you can sail faster. There might have been some other smaller things, I don't really remember.

I guess any HD remake can make minor improvements, but my point is the main attraction here is the new controller. You're not just playing an HD version of the game, you're playing it in a whole new way, it's the definitive version of the game. Not that I'm a huge fan of Wind Waker, but that's just how I see it. I actually own Wind Waker for GCN but was never able to get into it. So I'm kinda happy to see this new version.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Ziggy587 wrote: I actually own Wind Waker for GCN but was never able to get into it. So I'm kinda happy to see this new version.

And that makes me happy. LOZ WW is an incredible and whimsical journey and I'm glad that the HD version will introduce people to it.

My only point is, from a regular duder, is that "I'm cool with the original". No ill will at all, it's that I don't need upgrades from an already mind blowing game.
bryan_65
Next-Gen

Post by bryan_65 »

I think this is just a test to try Zelda with the Wii U and get sales figures, maybe sell a few systems. Cash Grab.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

I remember in a interview somewhere that this is basically a platform to test some ideas for the new WiiU Zelda game with a lower risk project that will allow them to get some valuable feedback.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

SOTC is amazing on PS3. I originally played thru on PS2 and it's in my Top 5 EASY favorite games of all time. But yeah, PS3 upgrade is worth it.

Wind Waker, I'm ok with GCN for now. I don't have enough reason to get a Wii U yet. But when WW HD drops, I'm up for playing along with you guys that did get it and are going to play it again.

Because WW is in my Top 10.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Luke wrote:Not bashing the HD versions at all, simply saying that those games are incredible, HD or not.

I will absolutely agree that the ICO/SotC HD re-releases were completely unnecessary, as are most of the other HD updates to single-generation old games. I also agree that those two games are masterpieces, and that, plus the additions, made it pretty easy for me to actually bring myself to preorder the HD re-release. SotC really did benefit tremendously from the facelift, though.

I don't have a problem, per se, with a lot of the HD re-releases lately, I suppose because they're released in small collections/trilogies of games. This Wind Waker update I actually have a problem with. It irks me a bit, probably because it's a single game, that I'm sure will be a full price release, that is an update to a game that was essentially perfect as it was, in my opinion.

Ziggy587 wrote:Apparently one major complaint was how long sailing took, so now you can sail faster.

I know a lot of people didn't, but I actually liked the speed of sailing in the games. It felt like I was actually sailing, traversing, and exploring the open sees. I'll admit that I was happy to get the warp song, and I might not be as enthusiastic about the sailing these days, but I still don't see it as something that demanded a re-release 10-12 years later. The thing I keep wonder with this is, where is the stuff that actually warrants my, or any other person's, 60 dollars?
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

If I didn't already own the game, I get the appeal. But say, with SOTC, the PS2 original is fine by me.

Do you think it's worthless to buy a blu ray copy of a movie you already own on DVD?

I frankly love these HD remakes. I want more!
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

AppleQueso wrote:

Do you think it's worthless to buy a blu ray copy of a movie you already own on DVD?

Not worthless at all, but I enjoy watching Batman (1989) on VHS and am happy with it. For me, if a game is good, it is good.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Luke wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:

Not worthless at all, but I enjoy watching Batman (1989) on VHS and am happy with it. For me, if a game is good, it is good.

Certainly you can see the appeal of wanting a better looking version, though, right? Even if you're not super concerned about it yourself.
Betamax001
Next-Gen

Post by Betamax001 »

I like HD Collections. I missed out on games in the past and they allow me to usually get all the games in a series all on one disc, on one system that I currently have set up in my living room, which has an HDTV so the game looks quite a bit better than say hooking up my old PS2 on that tv, even with component.

Plus Ico was getting kinda pricey on the PS2 before they made the HD collection. It's nice being able to walk into GameStop, Best Buy or wherever and just buying the game for 20 bucks new AND getting another awesome game to go with it!
NES, SNES, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GCN, Wii, PS3, 360, GB, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, PSP 3000, and 3DS XL

PSN ID: SaturnXMKII
Steam ID: betamax001