The best 2D Action Platformers - a web database project

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
kelsoanim
32-bit

The best 2D Action Platformers - a web database project

Post by kelsoanim »

I've been throwing around an idea in my head to create a website to act as a database for good 2D Action Platformers. They, along with straight up platformers, are my favorite sub genre and I always have a hard time finding websites that collect together similar games. I thought it wouldn't be too hard to start putting something together as a side project.

I am still in the planning/outlining phase of the website but I wanted to ask for some help compiling a nice list of games to include on the site. I plan to include console, release date, developer and publisher, and a brief description and some trivia, along with at least one screenshot and possibly embedded or linked youtube footage. I hope that the website can be a place to go when you are looking for a new game to play in the genre. I am trying to limit the selection to good to great games. There have been plenty of 2D action platformers over the years, but I wouldn't want to recommend some of them for people to play.

Here's my starter list, let me know what you think I should add. I don't mean to limit the list to 8 and 16 bit games, that's just my favorite era so it's what I could think of off the top of my head. I'm also obviously a bit of a Nintendo fanboy so I apologize upfront for there not being much Sega representation just yet. I'd like to include games from any era and consoles so anything goes, as long as the game is generally good.

Series
Castlevania series
Ninja Gaiden series
Shinobi series
Valis series
Legendary Axe series
Gargoyles Quest and Demon’s Crest games
Bionic Commando games
Metroid series
Actraiser games
Ghosts and Goblins and Gouls and Ghosts
Super Star Wars series
Mega Man series
Contra series
X-Men genesis games
X-Men SNES games
Earthworm Jim series
Turrican series
Metal Warriors series
Vectorman games
Rocket Knight games
Wonder Boy/Adventure Island series (?)
Strider series
Bionic Commando series

Indiviual Games
Indiana Jones snes
Blaster Master
Vice Project Doom
Metal Storm
Goonies II
Hagane
Skyblazer
Hook snes
Aladdin genesis
Magic Sword
Ranger X
Mystic Defender
Ninja Spirit
The Adventures of Batman and Robin snes
Rocket Knight Adventures
Jurassic Park 2 genesis
King of Demons
Run Saber
Vice Project Doom
Shadow of the Ninja
Shatterhand
Kickmaster
Muramasa: Demon Blade
A-B-P. A-always, B-be, P-platforming. Always be platforming! Always be platforming!!
My Game Room - My Game Collection
dogman91
128-bit

Re: The best 2D Action Platformers - a web database project

Post by dogman91 »

Don't forget about DOS/Amiga/PC too... I'd throw in the Jazz Jackrabbit series, individual game Claw (amazing, yet no one seems to talk about it), Realms of Chaos, etc.

Pretty good compilation so far though... it's going to be hard to get EVERYTHING that's good though I'd say. There's also stuff like Astro Boy and Drill Dozer for the GBA and such that I haven't played but I've heard is pretty friggin' good.
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Post by Menegrothx »

dogman91 wrote:Don't forget about DOS/Amiga/PC too... I'd throw in the Jazz Jackrabbit series, individual game Claw (amazing, yet no one seems to talk about it), Realms of Chaos, etc.

Yeah, Jazz Jackrabbits (2 has an amazing soundtrack)+Commander Keens. A lot of platformers on 16-bit computers

Rayman
Rayman Origins
Tempo
Dynamite Headdy
Pulseman
Do cinematic platformers count?
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Gunstar Heroes
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Clockwork Knight 1 & 2 - Saturn
Astal - Saturn
sosoyo180
24-bit

Post by sosoyo180 »

Definitely check out the Bonk series, particularly Bonk's Revenge which is the second game in the series and a personal favorite of mine.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

emwearz wrote:Gunstar Heroes

This brings up so many problems with doing a list like this. Do run n guns like Gunstar Heroes count? Do adventure platformers like Metroid? What about single screen platformers like Mario Bros or Popeye? What about 2.5D platformers, or games that have significant platforming sections, though are mostly something else?
graffix_13
64-bit

Post by graffix_13 »

Prince of Persia

There were both SNES and Genesis versions. And I think there was even a PoP 2 for SNES (unsure for Genesis) so would that classify as a series?

Loved those games.