Are people still collecting DVD's?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
eskil
32-bit

Re: Are people still collecting DVD's?

Post by eskil »

There was never a better time for buying DVDs. Literally everything is out on DVD, and the things are way below the $5 mark in charity shops and the like at this point. Kinda like VHS tapes when DVDs started to take over, except DVD is a digital format, easily ripped to the device of your choice.
Retrodude
128-bit

Post by Retrodude »

For me, it's all about the extras. If the dvd and blu-ray have identical bonus content (like, say, ParaNorman), I usually opt for the dvd to save a few bucks since my player will upscale it anyway and I usually can't tell the difference. But if the blu-ray has signifigantly more bonus content (like, say, Despicable Me), I'll get the blu-ray. When it comes to rebuying films I already have on dvd, I generally only do that if there's better bonus content than the dvd had (like, say, Beauty And The Beast).

Also, I'm a big fan of Mill Creek Entertainment. If you're a fan of cheesy B-movies like I am, you just can't beat their sets of 50 movies for $10-15.
I'm not a glitch, I just have pixlexia.

Raiiban wrote:That's a moral dilemma. Capitalism has no morals.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

We cant expect EVERYTHING to get a Blu-ray release, so yes some titles will be worth buying on DVD.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

I tend to opt for Blu-ray if there's the option, though there have been a few times when the content was simply created for SD, and the DVD version was preferable due to how the upscaling was handled (mostly slightly older anime).

Usually though, even if the video isn't too big of an upgrade, the audio is.
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Post by AmishSamurai »

This feels like a silly question considering it was asked on a retro forum. I know for a fact that several people here still collect laserdiscs, so I wouldn't be surprised if a few people collected dvds.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

I still buy DVDs. Never new at Walmart though.

My cheapass will wait till I can find it at the flea market for a dollar.

I also buy anime too. I find old cheap stuff all the time clearance.

People will still buy DVDs for quite a while.

I'll still buy them for many years to come.

Some kids in the future will buy DVDs long after blue ray is a dead format. They will find it kitschy and different. Like when we found some old VHS tape of subtitled Japanese period drama, or cheesy comedy film when we were kids.

I can see some teen watching mid 90's SciFi moves like Existenz and The Net on DVD and having a laugh on how people perceived computers back then.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

I haven't been modern since early 2000, so I still use DVDs, watch a big screen CRT TV, talk on a flip phone, run a PC with Windows 2000, drive a Saturn, play a Playstation 2 and GameCube, listen to drum n bass, I think Netscape Navigator is the best browser, and I still wake up at night in a cold sweat and worry about Elian Gonzalez.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Retrodude
128-bit

Post by Retrodude »

J T wrote:I still wake up at night in a cold sweat and worry about Elian Gonzalez.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XIeB2Q2xmZQ
I'm not a glitch, I just have pixlexia.

Raiiban wrote:That's a moral dilemma. Capitalism has no morals.
Nintendork666
Next-Gen

Post by Nintendork666 »

I'm a whore for HD, so I really would rather stay away from DVD's if possible. I do like Blu-Rays, but it's 2013, and most physical media is outdated at this point. Sad, but true.

Special features are really, really badass though. I have a ton of DVD's (mostly horror) stored in a few tubs in my garage. In the house, there's a small bit of shelf space reserved for my Blu-Rays; and John Waters, Joss Whedon, and Kevin Smith DVD collections (gotta love those View Askew extras; puts even Criterion to shame) - plus an even tinier one for the few other "especially cool" DVD's I own...

Now my VHS tapes? I've got to throw those in a gutter somewhere. But I own so much Kaiju! :(
AMD Ryzen™ 9 7900X // MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 3090 Image
LugNutX
8-bit

Post by LugNutX »

I've actually moved away from buying new releases altogether. I started to realize that I was dropping $20 on a movie that I might watch once or twice in a few year span. With more and more titles becoming available on streaming (or easily available for rent anytime I want), it doesn't make sense for me to buy new anymore.

I will still buy TV shows, simply for the convenience factor and value. No one wants to rent 8 different discs to finish a season of something. We just use an OTA HD antenna, so I can justify buying a "premium" TV show since we don't have a cable bill.

I do still buy a TON of used DVDs for the reason others have mentioned - price and availability. I don't remember the last time I paid more than $3-4 for a DVD, many of which have been the super-special-awesome, 12-disc editions that retailed for $50+ when they were new. My wife and I love horror movies and that's another genre that doesn't see as many releases on Blu.

Besides, DVD still looks (and definitely sounds) better than a good portion of the streaming content currently available, and no one bitches about that.